NEW 2520 on the GREAT LAKES..

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
Hello all, just purchased a 2520 and will pick it up Good Friday. I had it loaded with Raymarine electronics. I will be keeping her in Caseville Mich. which is on the outer Saginaw Bay of Lake Huron. It's a big Lake , 100 miles wide and 300 long so it can get real nasty when she wants.
I traded in a Baha 25ft. GLE which I liked quite well but I couldn't get over the less than a mile per gallon of gas .
This will be my retirement boat. Two more years I'll be 62 and that's it Good By GM. I.m sure I'll love this boat by the way everybody talks about how the love theirs. The 250 yamaha should be better on fuel and much quieter. She will be used mainly for Perch fishing and maybe some Walleye. But with 8 grand kids swiming and tubeing will come into play.
All my boater friends say that yamaha won't cut it, not enough HP. Well I hope to prove them wrong. I've read almost all the forms on the sight and it looks like some 9x24 tabs are on my things to do list.
I asked the dealer about the tabs and he said the 12x12 will be just fine and they don't know what they are talking about. Well I know what your talking about because you've been there and done that. I hope Dale has that retro ready for spring. I'm scratching my head over adjusting the valve lash on the yamaha with a over head cam.. what's to adjust??.
I did E mail Eric the engineer at Parker about the tabs and he avoided the question, but did answer all the rest. Well as you can see I'm long winded so thank's Tom for setting me up .

lou
AD8R

Hey Lou....

Welcome aboard. Which 2520 do you have? SL? XL? SLD ? XLD?
I have the 2520SL (notched transom, 16 degree deadrise) with a Yamaha F250. I boat in a big bay, and the ocean, and the F250 is plenty for me. I may swap out the tabs for larger ones, but several on the board here said they had great success instead putting a hyfrofoil fin on the outboard. I may try that this year if I have time; we'll see.

Best of luck!

lou":1xcjgrio said:
I asked the dealer about the tabs and he said the 12x12 will be just fine and they don't know what they are talking about. Well I know what your talking about because you've been there and done that. I hope Dale has that [tab] retro ready for spring.

Lou:

I'm getting in one prototype set of planes which hopefully will be installed soon. We'll probably also be offering these as a retrofit kit to go from 12x12" Lencos to Bennett tabs in 12x18, 12x20, or 12x24" sizes. We'll playing around with them on a deep-V 25 cabin model, so that should give us the data we need.

Stay tuned ...

ParkerSal, I have the 2520SL just like yours. Thank you and Dale for replying. I do have a 42 gallon bait tank ,which I realy didn't want but I can use it for a snack table for the grandkids. I'm hoping for 2 mpg at crusing speed . All my samon fishing buddies say that 250 won't even plain that thing ,I show them as I wave when I go by. What do they know they fish for samon. (only good for making roses grow)
I have a 14 ft Lund with a 20 4 stroke on it . It has a very hard time plaining with my brother and me in the boat. He had to sit all the way up front for it to plain . I added a foil to the motor and I plained right away , but I lost about 5 mph on top end . Yes I do know about trimming the engine. I fish at night for walleye with 3 or 4 other buddies, each in our own boat. At 2 am it's time to punch out and head in . We fish the St. Clair River which separates the U.S.form Canada. It's a drag race in. I can hold my own with the other 20 and 25 4 strokes but when I put that foil on I was left in the dust. So neeedless to say the foil went . What I did was go from a 10 pitch to 9 pitch and that solved my problem. My Parker will be for Perch fishing which you anchor and fish for. I'm going to rig up some kind of sun shade from the cabin to the stern , us older guys don't like sitting in the sun anymore. But were not that old that we don't enjoy watching what's sitting in the sun on the beach on our way out Lol

see ya

lou

ParkerSal, I have the 2520SL just like yours. Thank you and Dale for replying. I do have a 42 gallon bait tank ,which I realy didn't want but I can use it for a snack table for the grandkids. I'm hoping for 2 mpg at crusing speed . All my samon fishing buddies say that 250 won't even plain that thing ,I show them as I wave when I go by. What do they know they fish for samon. (only good for making roses grow)
I have a 14 ft Lund with a 20 4 stroke on it . It has a very hard time plaining with my brother and me in the boat. He had to sit all the way up front for it to plain . I added a foil to the motor and I plained right away , but I lost about 5 mph on top end . Yes I do know about trimming the engine. I fish at night for walleye with 3 or 4 other buddies, each in our own boat. At 2 am it's time to punch out and head in . We fish the St. Clair River which separates the U.S.form Canada. It's a drag race in. I can hold my own with the other 20 and 25 4 strokes but when I put that foil on I was left in the dust. So neeedless to say the foil went . What I did was go from a 10 pitch to 9 pitch and that solved my problem. My Parker will be for Perch fishing which you anchor and fish for. I'm going to rig up some kind of sun shade from the cabin to the stern , us older guys don't like sitting in the sun anymore. But were not that old that we don't enjoy watching what's sitting in the sun on the beach on our way out Lol

see ya

lou

Lou - you will be pleasantly surprised with the performance of the boat with a single 250. I have a 2520 Deep Vee with a 250 Zuke four stroke. I cruise all day long at 22-23 knots at around 9 gallons an hour with a full load of fuel. If I push it up to 25 knots she will burn 12 gallons an hour. Not a speed deamon, but I am in no hurry, but at the same time not slow either. Good luck and enjoy the boat.

Brad

Show this photo to your buddies...

Image-6794FB6F464E11DB.jpg

That speed is in knots... and I'm only running 4200 rpm.
That is cruise speed for me.

My motor is a 10 year old 225 Yamaha OX66 running that speed with 4 people on board and a whole lot of fishing gear aboard (I can give you that photo too).

WOT that day was 33 knots. I think I have that photo somewhere too.

Bottom line? That F250 will be more than enough. :wink:

Well I put her in the water the last weekend of May . Took her for a brake in cruise for 2 hours braking in the engine the way to book says. First
hour max 3k rpm's up and down the next hour 3k to 6k I made sure I got the block nice and hot to season it. I don't want to be making oil.
I went out of Caseville into Lake Huron , the outer part of Saginaw Bay. My wife realy likes the way it takes the 4 foot waves mush better than any of my other boats. Now she wants to sleep on it with the cottage only 500 ft away . I have had it out 5 times since, fishing and swiming with the grand kids. I keep putting gas in it even though the fuel gauge says full. I get my gas at the local gas station in 6 gal cans, because I save about 5 bucks a can that way Gas up here is $3.50 a gal. at the marina. The wife says you'll never put both cans in this boat doesn't use gas like the last 2 . Well I try and I can never get all the gas out of the second can. See I told ya ,I know I know.
I cruise at 4800 rpm at 31mph on the gps and the Yamaha flow meter shows 2.6 miles per gallon and at wot 6k the meter shows 1.9 mpg. I'm in LOVE......
When I'm at dock side washing her I get a lot of looks and pointing , the guys coming in from Walleye fishing slow down and look at all the room I have and ask questions. The wife doesn't like the 42 gal bait tank that was on her when I bought it but it works nice for a rigging table and great for lunch table for the grand kids. I know I could remove it but that an't going to happen,. I just turned 60 and I can tell this will be my last boat I'll need in my fishing career storage is a pain but I'll work around that .
The only problem I've had was with the motor ,I was going out fishing and was coming off plain slowly I just don't shut it down. As I come to idle the engine stalled so I said Hmmmm what's up with that???? I started it again and it acted like I was way out of time or the battery was low, which they arn't.( hard cranking) I have no idea what that was about. It's been ok ever since, the only thing is the oil gauge jumps all over up and down and after I go about a mile or two it settles down and stays in the middle of the range. When I start it up it's fine on the eay out to the lake 1/2 mile it's fine . I 'll live with it until I take it in for winter storage.
Other than that I give it a A and the wife gives it a A- because of the live well. I have a sun shade being made for the cock pit and I'll be in heaven One fine piece of machinery.......

lou

Back