New Electronics install on my 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhalinDave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After several years of kicking screens and enduring the frustrations of my aging electronics, I finally pulled the trigger. Went with the NSS Evo3 12" screen, Halo 20+ radar, Airmar SS175M chirp transducer, AP44 autopilot.
Couldn't be happier. The radar sees everything down to birds sitting on the surface 20' in front of me. Sounder holds bottom with a clear picture at full throttle. Autopilot runs straight as an arrow at all speeds. Only problem I have now is getting access to the water...This virus is causing ramp shut downs up and down the coast. Mine is still open but sounds like it won't be for long...

https://www.carpediemphotography.net/Ev ... -wcWKBDx/A
https://www.carpediemphotography.net/Ev ... -rjpd4rd/A
https://www.carpediemphotography.net/Ev ... -9Lsxcmn/A

WhalinDave":1cydub3k said:
After several years of kicking screens and enduring the frustrations of my aging electronics, I finally pulled the trigger. Went with the NSS Evo3 12" screen, Halo 20+ radar, Airmar SS175M chirp transducer, AP44 autopilot.
Couldn't be happier. The radar sees everything down to birds sitting on the surface 20' in front of me. Sounder holds bottom with a clear picture at full throttle. Autopilot runs straight as an arrow at all speeds. Only problem I have now is getting access to the water...This virus is causing ramp shut downs up and down the coast. Mine is still open but sounds like it won't be for long...

https://www.carpediemphotography.net/Ev ... -wcWKBDx/A
https://www.carpediemphotography.net/Ev ... -rjpd4rd/A
https://www.carpediemphotography.net/Ev ... -9Lsxcmn/A

Hi WhalinDave, Beautiful system, great 'install', and beautiful boat! Sorry you all are having ramp issues out there. Here in eastern NC our/my boating is 'business as usual'. I'm lucky enough to be on a lift at my home, and have had the boat out a couple times each week even with some recent bad winds/weather. Hope you can try out your new 'toys' soon!

Great setup. Did you get rid of your engine gauges? Are you running them through the Simrad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great setup. Did you get rid of your engine gauges? Are you running them through the Simrad?

Totally off topic I know, but looking at your windows in the pics, do the front windows not open? BTW if that is your first Simrad system I think you will love the bottom features. I replaced a Raymarine unit with a EVO3 9" last year. I can see bottom features I could have never seen with the Raymarine.

WhalinDave, your setup looks almost exactly like what I'm considering for my 2530. With the dust cover on the Simrad, how much room is left on the dash? I'm trying to determine if I squeeze the Simrad up against the edge of the dash, can I fit a Yamaha 6YC display next to it, pretty much where your autopilot is. How much bigger is the dust cover than the screen footprint?

Engine gauges are not running through the Simrad. My engine is "old school" Volvo diesel. I'm not sure it would be possible but it would be nice if I could.

Totally off topic I know, but looking at your windows in the pics, do the front windows not open? BTW if that is your first Simrad system I think you will love the bottom features. I replaced a Raymarine unit with a EVO3 9" last year. I can see bottom features I could have never seen with the Raymarine.
Unfortunately, my front windows do not open.

WhalinDave, your setup looks almost exactly like what I'm considering for my 2530. With the dust cover on the Simrad, how much room is left on the dash? I'm trying to determine if I squeeze the Simrad up against the edge of the dash, can I fit a Yamaha 6YC display next to it, pretty much where your autopilot is. How much bigger is the dust cover than the screen footprint?
The dust cover fits very close to the bezel of the screen...not much of an overlap at all. You can go to the Simrad website and get all the dimensions there.

Did you get rid of your engine gauges? Are you running them through the Simrad?

That would be a dumb idea......and here is why......

Displaying engine gauges is a novelty......Yea it's neat to look at a few times.....But why do we REALLY have the MFD's on our boats?

Answer: Navigation and finding Fish! So......If you have the gauge package up...Your not seeing Navigation or Fish......OR you have the screen so chopped down into Little bity box's that nothing is easy to see. So just look at the gauges for engine info and the MFD for Navigation and Fish finding.

That would be a dumb idea......and here is why......

Displaying engine gauges is a novelty......Yea it's neat to look at a few times.....But why do we REALLY have the MFD's on our boats?

Answer: Navigation and finding Fish! So......If you have the gauge package up...Your not seeing Navigation or Fish......OR you have the screen so chopped down into Little bity box's that nothing is easy to see. So just look at the gauges for engine info and the MFD for Navigation and Fish finding.
I agree 100%
Although it would be nice to have access to the information the MFD can accumulate with engine information....Logging of all that information can be handy for evaluating fuel economy, trip planning, performance, etc.

My lowrance/etec allowed me to pick and choose which data was shown on any screen—-I liked that. Fuel economy, engine temp, alternator, water temp, etc. all on my gps page while running. It was a good feature. Best was the Miles per gallon to find the sweet spot.

Yep.....You can do that in another box on the screen.....You can do that with most of them that are interconnected.....What I refereed to previously was the Full instrument screen...

I could get that on my Parker......Full screen....or tidbits of info that I choose....But I opted for a secound 3 7/8 Suzuki gage.....That way I didn't have to flip thru menus to get to the info I wanted.

Unfortunately, my front windows do not open.
I am glad I have the opening front windows but sometimes they are a pain in the butt too. I have own the boat 5 years and I just ordered my 2nd set of the holders to get the windows open. One of mine has the holes stripped out so I have to re-tap some new ones. Also mine have the bare aluminum frame and they look like crap. I would like to take the windows out and have the frames powder coated.

Back