New idea to cover up notched transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. New Merc is 45lbs heavier so I made some scupper pull plugs to use while getting in and out of boat. Should keep the water out with the extra weight climbing up the ladder.
Makida, have you looked into replacing your scuppers with ball scupper units? I used the TH Marine Flow Max ones on my 1700. I used to need plugs whenever the boat was at rest, especially when launching, or the boat would start flooding to a couple inches deep at the transom. With the new scuppers, hardly a DROP and no plugs to worry about. For something like $15 apiece, even if the plastic seal wears out in a couple years it's more than worth the upgrade.

Yes. I had the ping pong balls on a previous boat. Problem I had was any tiny piece of line, kelp, eel grass, etc and they would leak. Here on the West Coast we have a lot of weeds floating around. The pull plugs should be great for my application getting in and out of boat as well as launching. After climbing in I just pull the plugs once we’re on our way.😁

Yes. I had the ping pong balls on a previous boat. Problem I had was any tiny piece of line, kelp, eel grass, etc and they would leak. Here on the West Coast we have a lot of weeds floating around. The pull plugs should be great for my application getting in and out of boat as well as launching. After climbing in I just pull the plugs once we’re on our way.😁
Makes sense. I've had other manufacturers' products in the past and have had the problem you describe. The THs seem like they have a bigger opening and I haven't had an issue with them yet, but time will tell. If your only need for them is boarding/launching, the plugs are the way to go. It gets to be annoying when you've got to pull them out/put them in each time you start or stop moving.

Thanks if the pull plugs become a pain, I will try the THs but being bigger they may not fit! I had to trim one of the existing scuppers because of jack plate.

10yrs ago we had a boat that anchored from transom....1 gal recovered.....The guy was lost.

The mod is done, took much longer than anticipated cause I wanted to not have it work well but looks decent. I'm happy with the look and hope it perform just as well

Also attached my the custom rails in the back while I was at it. Anything to improve safety is top on my list.

20210503_194355.jpg20210503_194343.jpg20210503_201116.jpg20210503_194349.jpg

What works in our favor is the pivot point of the motor is almost center to the transom line, this allows very little movement where the guard meets the motor. Here's a photo of the motor fully turned to one direction, it glides along the motor with no skipping since I rounded all exposed edges.

If it can block 75% of the water I'm a happy camper. I think it would work well though, if not keeping water out, it'll at least minimize splashes.

Even when the motor is fully tilted up for trailering it clears it very nicely with no pressure on anything. 20210503_201209.jpg20210503_201143.jpg

been out a few times since adding this mod. Happy to say it successfully blocked at least 80-90% of the spashing water.

What is really nice is water no longer gets dumped into the boat, More water comes in from the sculper than the notch itself.

So no rash on the motor and a 75% closed transom for cheap money is a win. Nice job!

is this trolling ? we sunk ours twice at the dock with the transom to the weather. I moor them now
My development has a very nice pier in Key Largo with slips for docking boats. 2 or 3 swamp every year with the transom to the weather. My 23DVCC Parker is moored to 1000 pounds of concrete with 2 heavy chains to the bow eye I change every 5 years. We just had a week of very windy weather of 30 to 35 MPH winds and gusts to 40 which is unusual for May. No problem on the mooring.

Ive thought about closing the notch on my 21 CC DV but I like to "bounce" smaller fish through the notch.

Back