New idea to cover up notched transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Continuing a post I started but i think this is more appropriate here.
https://www.classicparker.com/threa...nimize-splashes-on-the-notched-transom.20763/
Playing around with this idea this morning. Made a template to see how things would fit and was able to turn the steering wheel left and right. The trim piece will be riding along the motor almost the whole time.

I'm going to order some semi truck 1/2" polymer mud flaps in white. They are rigid but semi flexible and quite strong, The corners that rides on the motor will be routed off so there are no sharp corners touching the motor.

You think this idea would work? I feel that this is the next best thing to a closed transom. :LOL:

20210419_121040.jpg20210419_115045.jpg20210419_115030.jpg

https://www.classicparker.com/threa...nimize-splashes-on-the-notched-transom.20763/
Playing around with this idea this morning. Made a template to see how things would fit and was able to turn the steering wheel left and right. The trim piece will be riding along the motor almost the whole time.

I'm going to order some semi truck 1/2" polymer mud flaps in white. They are rigid but semi flexible and quite strong, The corners that rides on the motor will be routed off so there are no sharp corners touching the motor.

You think this idea would work? I feel that this is the next best thing to a closed transom. :LOL:

View attachment 28705View attachment 28706View attachment 28707
Looks like a good plan, especially with the idea to re-purposing mud-flaps! I see the 'ear' near the top right of the cardboard template in the first picture; an additional attachment point? Looks like that will make it stronger, and it might be easier to v-groove-and-bend the rubber (make that 'ear') with the mud flap than it would be with the Starboard or another more rigid material.....
Not to bring up 'a negative', but the only problem I see with this is, if it works as well as it appears it will, you will be spending a lot of time making them for other folks who will want to buy them!

Looks like a good plan, especially with the idea to re-purposing mud-flaps! I see the 'ear' near the top right of the cardboard template in the first picture; an additional attachment point? Looks like that will make it stronger, and it might be easier to v-groove-and-bend the rubber (make that 'ear') with the mud flap than it would be with the Starboard or another more rigid material.....
Not to bring up 'a negative', but the only problem I see with this is, if it works as well as it appears it will, you will be spending a lot of time making them for other folks who will want to buy them!

You got good eyes! Those ears will be there, I need to notch out the rubrail area so it can look finished but otherwise I think this idea will work out very well. The ears are bent forward intentionally so that the force of the bend can push the material aft to add rigidity. The V notch at that ear can easily be made with a router bit if necassary. I've been stressing out about this notched transom since I purchased the boat. So much that I started looking for a 2320 but it's way out of my budget.

I need to hurry and patent this!

You got good eyes! Those ears will be there, I need to notch out the rubrail area so it can look finished but otherwise I think this idea will work out very well. The ears are bent forward intentionally so that the force of the bend can push the material aft to add rigidity. The V notch at that ear can easily be made with a router bit if necassary. I've been stressing out about this notched transom since I purchased the boat. So much that I started looking for a 2320 but it's way out of my budget.

I need to hurry and patent this!
Yes, although I'm nearly deaf, broken joints, and a tad overweight... I DO have good eyes! Thank you for noticing!

I’ve seen similar designs on fresh water fishing boats. I think those are commercially available. They work well and don’t mark the engine covers.

Why not just do a simple splash guard?
If you're refering to the factory splash guard.... I removed it since it takes up an additional 12". With it gone, I gain those valuable space and the cooler sits against the grab rail nicely. Replacing those orange straps with a cooler strap screwed tot he floor for a cleaner look. The cooler does not interfer with the motor the way its' sitting until I have to raise the motor for trailering which I simple unsnap push the cooler forward. I also added some riser so the cooler clears the hatch and allow waters to flow out, worked out pretty nicely.

This Coho cooler almost felt like it was designed for this boat. :LOL:

With a cushion on the lid, we were able to drift fish all day with 4 guys all with seating spaces in the cookpit.

20210413_185651_resized.jpg
20210413_185313_resized.jpg20210413_185324_resized.jpg20210413_190325_resized.jpg

Those Grab handles would be OUT of there...They are stupid....I see No reason for them to be installed there.

Like that you took the time for all the radius's.....That will......I'm sure......Have a major impact in keeping water out.....Maybe not all, but 85%......And remember....Every gal of saltwater weighs 8.3lbs.

Like that you took the time for all the radius's.....That will......I'm sure......Have a major impact in keeping water out.....Maybe not all, but 85%......And remember....Every gal of saltwater weighs 8.3lbs.

I find it really dangerous when there's constant slamming of water coming into the boat. So much that my boat started listing at one point. Also getting wet feet is pretty uncomfortable for those guests who doesn't have the clothes like we do

Thanks. New Merc is 45lbs heavier so I made some scupper pull plugs to use while getting in and out of boat. Should keep the water out with the extra weight climbing up the ladder.

Attachments

• 418FB858-636E-4BF5-B202-E65BD979E918.jpeg
    418FB858-636E-4BF5-B202-E65BD979E918.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

View attachment 28705View attachment 28706View attachment 28707
Good idea, I took off my 2120 splash guard off for space and quicker cockpit cleaning but I don’t like the opening either.
I feel just a little more transom is needed to keep out an occasional splash. I may try your idea but a lower version. Ty for posting. Maybe I’ll cut up the original that has been sitting in my attic.

Waters a different here in the Gulf....Wind from one direction and current from 180degs the other. What this does is the wind lays the boat out on anchor.....and then the current tries to ship water aboard your boat with a notched transom....

Thats why you buy a Full transom Bracketed boat.

Waters a different here in the Gulf....Wind from one direction and current from 180degs the other. What this does is the wind lays the boat out on anchor.....and then the current tries to ship water aboard your boat with a notched transom....

Same with the lower Chesapeake

we have the fighting winds and current issues occassionally but when we try to hold position in reverse to lock on a fishing spot this is when it gets pretty bad in 5+ ft swells.

Correct that situation arises globally anytime there is wind, swell, and current. Closed transom is always the way to go but unfortunately not all boats have them.

I don't often back down on a fish or ever go into a hard reverse even with my full transom 23DVCC in the open ocean and NEVER anchor from the stern. When I see people with a notched transom do those things I cringe.

Back