New Jersey Guys (18 CC ) "Off Shore" ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offduty5

Reaction score
Ok this is for all the Jersey guys in the Sandy Hook area down to Manasquan inlet. I have an 1800 CC ( 1994 ) in great condition, second owner. I re powered with a 2019 90 Suzuki. It has a 40 gallon gas tank. Ever aspect of the boat is in good shape. My mechanic is impeccable and services everything. I have all the safety equipment on it, rescue raft, EPIRB, 2 VHF radios, one portable everything you can think of.

So here is my question. If anyone has similar boat, how far "offshore" do you travel ? I know you will all say pick and chose your days, yes I get it. But on those days how far "offshore " would and do you travel ? Looking for feedback. Looking to do a shark trip and maybe find some mahi mahi this summer. Please let me know. If anyone is looking to buddy up out of the Atlantic Highlands Marina let me know.

Thanks

That boat will get 4+ mpg.

Of a 40 gallon tank, figure that 36 is usable giving you 144 miles of range. Carry 2 extra 5-gallon jugs of gas and now you are capable of 184 miles round trip.

Many days are flat calm off the NJ (Mid-Atlantic coastline) and there is no difference running 60 miles offshore in 6" seas vs. running 60 miles up/down a protected river in 6" seas.

Comfortable in your equipment? Comfortable in your abilities? If so, go offshore as far as you want.

Get some experience running that particular boat offshore and make up your mind your self. I fished mostly every weekend this year on my 1801. First off I think your a little lacking in power unless there’s something different about the 1800. I try to go fast when it’s calmer to make up for when it’s rough. I’ve had some very long hard rides back at 12-14 mph and was happy I was only 10 or so miles from home. Perfect day with perfect conditions I would run to the far reef for me that’s about 17 miles but of it gets rough it’s going to be a bad hour and a half ride home.

To be clear I have had the boat out in some very bad conditions when I was the smallest boat out. I never feel unsafe in the boat just uncomfortable.

Get some experience running that particular boat offshore and make up your mind your self. I fished mostly every weekend this year on my 1801. First off I think your a little lacking in power unless there’s something different about the 1800. I try to go fast when it’s calmer to make up for when it’s rough. I’ve had some very long hard rides back at 12-14 mph and was happy I was only 10 or so miles from home. Perfect day with perfect conditions I would run to the far reef for me that’s about 17 miles but of it gets rough it’s going to be a bad hour and a half ride home.
To be clear I have had the boat out in some very bad conditions when I was the smallest boat out. I never feel unsafe in the boat just uncomfortable.
Agreed although I wouldnt say under powered. On my 1801 (60gal (504lbs) vs 40gal (336lbs)= 168lbs diff) I sometimes run with a 19 pitch prop if its a light load but when I have the 17 pitch its a different boat. Return trip will vary, less fuel replaced with the days catch.
Also keep everything secured, nothing worse than snotty conditions and have gear moving around.
Edit: 1 more thing, bring goggles. Many a time caught in the sh@t and the constant salt spray in my face makes it not fun. Sunglasses just dont cut it.

Back