new member and new 2530 owner

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank S.

Reaction score
I purchased a'05 2530 this summer, it has twin 4stroke 150 yamaha's. I am more impressed with her now than when I first purchased her.
I am unsure as to how to position the engines during the ( Maryland)winter months if I leave her in the water. Do I leave them in the normal tilt positon or leave them in the water.
I love the fact that I can get out of the elements on this boat, my previous girlfriend was a 22 Whaler CC...........

The problem with leaving an OB boat in the water over the winter is the engines. If you leave them down and they freeze in place, they can exert excessive amounts of torque on the boat if the wind decides it wants to howl. If you leave the engines up, the thru-hub exhaust collects water at the back of the gearbox, which can freeze and break the gearbox.

I'd pull her, put her on the hard, and lower the engines.

Frank S.":2yw5ar6s said:
I am unsure as to how to position the engines during the ( Maryland)winter months if I leave her in the water. Do I leave them in the normal tilt positon or leave them in the water.

If you stay in the water, leave the motors down.

In the down position the motors will drain and the chance of damage is minimal.

We do get periods of freezing in the Bays tribs, but because this is an Estuary, there is some salt content to the water limiting ice buildup during a normal winter.

Whatever you do, do not leave the motor trimmed up. The air is much colder than the water. :wink:

Porkchunker":2knugdx7 said:
If you leave the engines up, the thru-hub exhaust collects water at the back of the gearbox, which can freeze and break the gearbox

im clueless when it comes to marine engines...is this for four and two strokes or just for fours?

also, welcome to the 2530 family!! theyre awesome boats, youll learn to love her even more

pelagic2530":1lyweyap said:
Porkchunker":1lyweyap said:
If you leave the engines up, the thru-hub exhaust collects water at the back of the gearbox, which can freeze and break the gearbox

im clueless when it comes to marine engines...is this for four and two strokes or just for fours?

That's for any OB motor. When I used to use my boats thru to February, we too always left them tilted down so the LU stayed warmer in the seawater.

Back