New Member From NJ

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jm

Reaction score
Hi, I just sold my boat, a 28 Carolina Classic and I'm currently looking at Parkers. I spend most of my time inshore now, fluke, bass, blacks etc. and I really like the 23 and 25 SC's. I may have eliminate the 23 because I'm 6'3" and the cabin roof is 73.5. I heard the roof use to be higher at one time? Most of my buddy's are also 6' plus, why do they make such a low roof? I guess I'll have to concentrate on the 25.

Alot of the 25's seem to underpowered with just one engine. I'm not really concerned about speed but how does this effect resale?

I wouldn't say they're underpowered. Under tabbed (with those 12x12 Lencos - YES), but not underpowered.

Now, if talking the XL model with the 16 degree deadrise, I'd want a minimum of a 250hp and the reports on the F250 are pretty good.

If the deep-V hull, yes then like you, I'd want twins too.

Resale? Guys are buying Parkers and selling them for me than they paid just years later. I think they're probably one of the better hulls to hold a value. Having a decent hp OB on the stern, like a Yummie 4-stroke, will add to the value too, though it isn't my personal 1st choice of a motor.

I think the 23 sport cabin has a higher cabin then then 25', anybody got the specs on the 2 boats?

Hi NJ

I have a 2120. I am 6'3" . I dont know if the cabin heights are the same on my boat as the 23 and 25's.

I dont really have a problem with the cabin height. I think it is because I never really stand straight up. Usually sitting or standing with my legs apart to counter the seas. I f you bump your head once in a while it doesn't hurt to hit the carpeted ceiling. It would be nice if it was a little taller but I would not let that influence your decision until you have had a sea trial.

JM - I can't comment on the cabin height of the 23, but I can comment on the 2520 DV. I have a 1998 2520 DV with a single motor. I ran a 250 Yammy until last season when I repowered with a 250 Zuke. The Yammy had 1300 hours when pulled and still ran great. With the boat fully loaded with gear and fuel I cruise between 21 and 24 knots. At that speed I was running the 2 stroke Yammy at 4400 to 4600 RPM with the four stroke I run 4500 to 4800 PRM's. I don't feel the boat is underpowered. My suggestion is to sea trial the 23 and 25 and see what meets your needs. I am sure any one of us on this board would be happy to take you for a run. I know I would. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Brad

if you are looking at the new boats, I know that the 2520's all have 76" headroom. The 2530 has an extra inch. There is plenty of head room for me at 6 feet :!: You will have to get used to a step-down cabin, a feature you gain benefit from, as the pilothouse is lower with a lower profile than some other boats in the same class. Less wind/docking issues.

I also have the F250 on my transom, and it really is perfect for the boat, as the boat's design is not a go fast boat from the getgo. I cruise at 28-30mph at about 4500 rpm's I think? I know I have touched 41 or 42 mph at WOT on a test with a full tank.

I'm in a 2120 and I'm 6'4". Cabin height is not a huge deal breaker unless you plan on standing while driving. I'm lazy and prefer to sit. I plan on standing outside when I get the second station built.

You get accustomed to the cabin height quickly. The step down is okay but you must watch it when the floor is wet or get an anti slip carpet or rug. Put a rubber bumper on the roof overhang until you learn to avoid it. I love the low profile -- It enables me to see completely over the bow when fishing, lets the Admiral reach the rocket launchers, and keeps the sail effect from the cabin to a minimum. Get a test ride and judge for yourself, no one else can make those kind of judgement calls.

When people ask about the height of the pilothouse on a 2520 I usually show them this photo...

Image-CD89B5B9472511D9.jpg

One of the benefits of having the 'step-down' helm is the fact that the windage area of the pilothouse is reduced. It also makes it easier to be able to grab rods out of the rocket launchers. :wink:

Only being 6' tall, I haven't whacked my coconut on the roof edge yet. :roll: (hope I didn't just jinx myself...)
But I have learned to toss an old towel on the helm floor as it is as slippery as snot when wet. :shock:

Thanks for all the great replys. This really is a great forum.

The catalog show a splash guard for notch transoms. Is this available for the 2520 SL?

Has anyone considered Steiger Craft before purchasing the Parker? The Parker seems to be a bit more finished.

Thanks

JM,

I sea trialed a Steiger 25 Chesapeake with a Honda 225 before I bought my 2520SL. It is a fine vessel. Very nice ride in Barnegat Bay. It is less deadrise at the transom though, so might be a different ride in the ocean.

My Parker felt beefier to me, and was better finished. Looking under the gunwales in the Steiger revealed encapsulated wood (clear epoxy), versus the Parker's solid glass. Also the pilothouse roof on the Steiger is a fraction of the thickness that the Parker is. You will not put a tower on top, and the Steiger salesman cautioned me not to stand on it, as it can crack.

I put down my donut and bag of chips...

ParkerSal, did you test the 2520XL with the transom bracket? I guess the new 16 degree deadrise is a little better riding than the older 14. I don't know if you fish on the ocean side but I was wondering if you get much water entering the boat with the notched transom?

JM,

Regarding the notched transom, I have been nearshore out of Manesquan Inlet. No water issues. Coming back though through the inlet, I did find myself watching the rolls behind me, and really dialing in between the waves. If I had the closed transom I might worry less about that, but might not be developing my skills as much. SO it is a double edged sword.

I didn't test drive the 2520XL 16 degree deadrise at the dealer; but my friend has it. I would rather have it than my SL. But it all comes down to coin doesn't it alway? :D

I found my boat slighlty used, through word of mouth, and my several month old boat, with the Yamaha F250, was a probably $20k cheaper than the XL. Truth be told my boat is fine for what I do and where I go, and the kind of weather I go in. It really is. I have also heard it said that it is easier to back into a slip with (without the bracket), and that my slip cost would be cheaper because the LOA is less.

It is very easy to really get into the minutia comparing so many boats: Parker 2520SL vs 2520XL vs 2520MV vs 2520DV vs Steiger 25 vs....

The fact remains that they are all good boats, and none of them are designed to run like a deepV Grady or Contender offshore, and their rides will likley be a derivative of 85% Captain skill/ 15% deadrise. Or something like that!

If you have the money though, you really should test drive a 2520XL with twin 150's or twin 200's. Something tells me the weight distribution on that boats would make for a sweet ride. Many complain about how forward the helm is on the Parkers, and I think the weight of twins and a bracket is at least something you should check out. If you have the coin.

Back