New member in Bailey's Harbor, WI

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Lott

Reaction score
I am very glad to have found this site! I purchased a few weeks ago real fixer upper. It is a 1990 Parker 1801. I am planning to do a full renovation. I know little about Parkers except that I like the lines, and I like the simplicity of the interior, and the apparent rugged build. I also like the price of this one, let's just say that pretty soon I will have a lot more into it than I paid for it.

I plan to use it eventually for a general runabout and fishing boat for me and my two Labradors, on Green Bay and Lake Michigan, maybe travel to Erie with it for some walleye fishing.

I will share some pics too. Here is the story of the boat: it was owned and used by a Federal agency on the east coast. After 2001 it was transferred to the State of Wisconsin, which owned it for about 10 years before selling it to the guy I bought it from, Ken. Ken purchased it with no console and no motor, so he rigged a 65 HP Johnson on it which he steered with a tiller while using the remote throttle. Ken liked the vast interior space,. He used a couple of six-wheeled office chairs for him and his wife when they went walleye fishing. Then maybe 4 or 5 years ago Ken aged out of the boat and stored it in his yard.

I have already put new lights, bearings and tires on the trailer (before I got more than 20 miles from Ken's house). But the rest of the project is wide open.

That's not dirt in the photos, those are lichens growing on the boat. That starfish-shaped thing in the photo is an office chair base.

I have a few questions, maybe some of you can help:

1. How do I check the transom and stringers for rot / damage? The hull appears never to have been damaged or repaired, and the transom does not flex, and the transom passed a cursory thump test.

2. Fuel tank: what tank was OEM for this boat? Should I just assume I will need to replace it, or is there a chance it might still be good?

3. What HP are people typically putting on this boat these days? What's it rated for? Of course the old Johnson will need to be replaced with something more appropriate.
Attach files Upload VideoPreview
Options
  • Watch this thread…
      • and receive email notifications
Post a poll

Post thread Preview

• 20210607_172046.jpg20210607_172102.jpg20210607_172116.jpg20210607_172123.jpg20210607_172129.jpg20210607_172134.jpg20210607_172145.jpg
4. Where to source a new center console?

5. Put on a T Top or not? Where to source a T top?

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm looking forward to this project.

Back