New member intro

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Haldane

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new member with a 1998 Parker 21SE powered with a 225hp Mercury Optimax 2 stroke. She's docked in Newport, RI, and used primarily for fishing. Had a couple questions from the group if you don't mind:

1. Anyone else have water leaking in the sliding compartment in the lower helm? I have not been able to get anyone locally to give advice on how to fix it.

2. All dials on helm have moisture inside, i.e. RPM, fuel gauge, engine hours, and tilt. Is there a kit to replace gaskets or should I just buy new?

3. Torsion axles on trailer are deteriorating. LoadRite does not have exact axle any longer. Any insight on best trailer for this boat or site that has legacy torsion axle replacements would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dave Haldane

Hi all,
I'm a new member with a 1998 Parker 21SE powered with a 225hp Mercury Optimax 2 stroke. She's docked in Newport, RI, and used primarily for fishing. Had a couple questions from the group if you don't mind:

1. Anyone else have water leaking in the sliding compartment in the lower helm? I have not been able to get anyone locally to give advice on how to fix it.

2. All dials on helm have moisture inside, i.e. RPM, fuel gauge, engine hours, and tilt. Is there a kit to replace gaskets or should I just buy new?

3. Torsion axles on trailer are deteriorating. LoadRite does not have exact axle any longer. Any insight on best trailer for this boat or site that has legacy torsion axle replacements would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dave Haldane
Hi Dave, I too would like to welcome you to CP!...
I don't have the issues that you have listed, but I'm sure if someone here has had them, they will try to help... Waaaaayyy back in the 1970's one of our boats had fogged up/moisture in the gauges. I ended up replacing them. Maybe someone here knows of a less-drastic solution..

Welcome.
1. Remove and reseal the trim piece of the sliders.
2. I recommend gauge savers in florida.
3. Try craigs list for a used axle or bad trailer with a good axle. Maybe a salvge yard.

Hi Dave, I too would like to welcome you to CP!...
I don't have the issues that you have listed, but I'm sure if someone here has had them, they will try to help... Waaaaayyy back in the 1970's one of our boats had fogged up/moisture in the gauges. I ended up replacing them. Maybe someone here knows of a less-drastic solution..
Thank you Andy!

Welcome.
1. Remove and reseal the trim piece of the sliders.
2. I recommend gauge savers in florida.
3. Try craigs list for a used axle or bad trailer with a good axle. Maybe a salvge yard.
Thank you Tom. I will check out the gauge savers. I've looked around at different places for axles, but no luck.

Back