New motor

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planning on buying a new 200, 225 outboard for my 1988 Sou'westr. Is it even an option these days? Yamaha or Suzuki . I'm in Maryland.

In my opinion, go with your lightest option, regardless of make (all of these new motors are good). I say that bvecasue the sou'wester was designed when only 2 stroke motors were available. Those original motors were much lighter than present day 4 strokes but fortunately, some of these very new 4 strokes have really worked on weight.

In my opinion, go with your lightest option, regardless of make (all of these new motors are good). I say that bvecasue the sou'wester was designed when only 2 stroke motors were available. Those original motors were much lighter than present day 4 strokes but fortunately, some of these very new 4 strokes have really worked on weight.
Good point, hoping wide beam will carry the extra weight of newer 4 stroke. My other boat has a Cat diesel in it so I'm learning here with my fun
travel boat.

Suzuki.......Has a timing chain...Runs in oil bath.....Yamaha has timing belt....Some engines ARE interference engines....Means break a belt or skip a cog....Valves collide with pistons.

Gear ratio.....Suzuki has the Lowest gear ratio of all Outboards.....Means it swings a Larger dia. prop....Think larger tires for more traction. Run a Suzuki prop!

Suzuki....typically cheaper to buy than Yamaha.

And....Remembering history....Yamaha....2003- 2004 their HPDI's .....There were boats that couldn't even make it across the bay. Each engine needed a team and took 12hrs to fix.....Yamaha acted like they didn't have a problem. SKA boats were the first to get fixed....People had payments on brand new boats and couldn't use them.

I've owned 5 Suzukis on different boats now.

I own a Suzuki and have owned prior Suzuki. Great engines. Now I have four Yamahas. All four strokes. Two f115’s and two f150’s. If you can get a Suzuki, go there but if not go with Yamaha. Also, in my yard the Mercury engines are holding up after many seasons. They haven’t flaked yet or have shown any flaws. All three are good buys. I do like that Mercury is exploring electric options, at least on smaller outboards and also thinking outside the box with that 600hp.

Suzuki.......Has a timing chain...Runs in oil bath.....Yamaha has timing belt....Some engines ARE interference engines....Means break a belt or skip a cog....Valves collide with pistons.

Gear ratio.....Suzuki has the Lowest gear ratio of all Outboards.....Means it swings a Larger dia. prop....Think larger tires for more traction. Run a Suzuki prop!

Suzuki....typically cheaper to buy than Yamaha.

And....Remembering history....Yamaha....2003- 2004 their HPDI's .....There were boats that couldn't even make it across the bay. Each engine needed a team and took 12hrs to fix.....Yamaha acted like they didn't have a problem. SKA boats were the first to get fixed....People had payments on brand new boats and couldn't use them.

I've owned 5 Suzukis on different boats now.
Thanks for the info, I'm hearing nothing but good things about Suzuki's for the most part.

Go with Suzuki…. I re powered my 1994 1800 and although not a speed demon …. It sips the fuel and is super reliable… awesome outboard.. good luck…and take warthog5 ( Bob’s) advice.. he is a full fledged mechanic and I have taken his advice on some projects on my boat… he’s very knowledgeable…

I bought my first Suzuki 9 years ago. A new 90 hp four stroke for my 18' Privateer. What a great motor. Never a single issue with that motor but traded it in on another new 90 Suzuki after 6 seasons. Didn't cost much to make the trade and got to start over with a new engine. In my third year with the second 90 and it is also a fuel sipping joy to operate. Here in NJ it seems you may have to wait literally months to get a mechanic to look at your motor if it needs repair so that's why I like a new engine. The cost of losing a season to a mechanical problem is not measurable in dollars.

Also repowered my Parker 23 SE three years ago with a Suzuki 175. Another fuel sipping joy of an engine. Not a particularly fast boat but gets on plane very quickly and lets face it, a Parker SE isn't fun to run fast in any conditions that are not fairly calm. I personally am very satisfied with this combination. I bought this boat new in 1988 and have no plans of getting rid of it. Over the years I have had a 200 hp Johnson 2 stroke and a 150 hp Johnson 2 stroke on this boat and they did not provide better performance than this Suzuki and they used a painful amount of fuel. Probably twice as much fuel.

One comment on the 175. My dealer insisted that the Suzuki 16 X 18.5 prop is the best choice for my boat and I'm not convinced. Would like to know what props others are running on their 23 SE's.

I have been waiting 13 months now for a new 300 yamaha 30" shaft. I came across 2 Suzuki's last winter in Florida but didn't pull the trigger, mainly because I didn't want to lose my mechanic BUT if I don't hear anything positive by the end of this season I will be strapping on a new 300Zuk.

Go with Suzuki…. I re powered my 1994 1800 and although not a speed demon …. It sips the fuel and is super reliable… awesome outboard.. good luck…and take warthog5 ( Bob’s) advice.. he is a full fledged mechanic and I have taken his advice on some projects on my boat… he’s very knowledgeable…
What HP Suzuki did you go with? What prop and what are your FOT and cruising speeds? Looking to repower.

Back