New Parker, HORRIBLE Ride

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dehusker, This is a nice explanation... I likely have the same hull as yours; (25 XLD)/ I'm new, so I don't know for sure. I've had many boats, and have been on countless others and I have been very happy with my Parker 25' ride in rough seas.... I've been in a few better, but I've been in countless rougher boats..... If nothing else, I know the Parker can/will handle a lot more than I can! ☺
Best explanation. Deep v is a softer ride period. Trim is crucial. I have been on many different Parkers. I think they have one of the best riding hulls in the industry. You just need to decide if modified v or deep v is what you need and will suit you boating best. I went with a 23 SE which is MV knowing I was boating on Chesapeake Bay and tributaries. Would I take it in the ocean? Yes but pick my days! If I were going to be an ocean boater I would have gone deep v.

I have a brand new 2520 XL that I got earlier this year with a single 300hp Yamaha outboard. The boat is beautiful but the only problem is I can't take it in the ocean. If there's even a slight 1 foot swell the boat pounds like crazy. Multiple guests have gotten seasick despite the ocean looking like a lake on those days. I'm not sure what else to do. I have the trim tabs all the way down and engine trimmed up. Once the boat is up on plane (only 24-25 mph) it starts bouncing around like it's in 5-6 foot seas despite it being calm. If I don't bring it up on plane and go 16-18 mph it's a little more tolerable. I was told this was a rough ride and not meant for trips to the canyon, and I was fine with that as I don't do much offshore fishing. But I can't even go 2-3 miles off the beach with this thing. I'm at the point now where I'm willing to pay an extra $50,000 and trade it in for a XLD because I can't enjoy the boat as is. I've read people have installed larger trim tabs and that's made a difference. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or am I stuck?
If you are going to use the trim tabs , first the motor needs to be all the way down , or they are just offsetting each other. With motor completely lowered and working tabs down , you should be able to lower the bow and eliminate any porpoising.

I have a brand new 2520 XL that I got earlier this year with a single 300hp Yamaha outboard. The boat is beautiful but the only problem is I can't take it in the ocean. If there's even a slight 1 foot swell the boat pounds like crazy. Multiple guests have gotten seasick despite the ocean looking like a lake on those days. I'm not sure what else to do. I have the trim tabs all the way down and engine trimmed up. Once the boat is up on plane (only 24-25 mph) it starts bouncing around like it's in 5-6 foot seas despite it being calm. If I don't bring it up on plane and go 16-18 mph it's a little more tolerable. I was told this was a rough ride and not meant for trips to the canyon, and I was fine with that as I don't do much offshore fishing. But I can't even go 2-3 miles off the beach with this thing. I'm at the point now where I'm willing to pay an extra $50,000 and trade it in for a XLD because I can't enjoy the boat as is. I've read people have installed larger trim tabs and that's made a difference. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or am I stuck?

I have run a Parker 2520XL for 15 years with two different engines originally 2005 Yamaha F225 for almost 2000 hours, now a 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX for 300+ hours. Almost every hour in the Atlantic Ocean. I know the boat very well have run in a very wide range of weather across 3 seasons. I bold faced your speed and that is the problem. You may have some less then optimum trim settings but even with perfect trim set, 25 knots in the ocean with a Parker 2520XL is too fast 99% of the time. Typical ocean cruise speed on all but the calmest of days is 20 knots , occasionally 22 but on many days 16-18 and sometimes 14. If you’re looking to run 25 knots consistently in the ocean, a Parker 2520XL is the WRONG boat for you and nothing you do will make it a 25 knot ocean boat.

No matter what you do with tabs or engine trim the boat is not for you.

I love my Parker 2520XL it’s a great boat for myriad of activities but a 25 knot cruise speed in the ocean is absolutely not one of them.

Get used to going slower or sell it.

I have run a Parker 2520XL for 15 years with two different engines originally 2005 Yamaha F225 for almost 2000 hours, now a 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX for 300+ hours. Almost every hour in the Atlantic Ocean. I know the boat very well have run in a very wide range of weather across 3 seasons. I bold faced your speed and that is the problem. You may have some less then optimum trim settings but even with perfect trim set, 25 knots in the ocean with a Parker 2520XL is too fast 99% of the time. Typical ocean cruise speed on all but the calmest of days is 20 knots , occasionally 22 but on many days 16-18 and sometimes 14. If you’re looking to run 25 knots consistently in the ocean, a Parker 2520XL is the WRONG boat for you and nothing you do will make it a 25 knot ocean boat.

No matter what you do with tabs or engine trim the boat is not for you.

I love my Parker 2520XL it’s a great boat for myriad of activities but a 25 knot cruise speed in the ocean is absolutely not one of them.

Get used to going slower or sell it.

Amen.
Truth be spoken!
Prevailing conditions determine a comfortable cruise. And Every boat or ship for that matter has it’s sweet spot and again, according to conditions.

I run my 2320 constantly in the gulf most days trim tabs down and motor trimmed down completely as well.. it is a very very rare day that I can run the boat at the speeds your running.. most days are 12-14 knots occasionally 20 knots on a great day. It’s just too small of a boat for those high end speeds. However one thing I’d like to ask about my boat is how much water I get on my deck when people are fishing. I have a 2018 with no changes made to the back of it... of course the starboard side with dive door is the worst... customers gripe constantly about feet getting wet...

I have a 2002 2510 MV (same hull, different topside) and have to slow down in rough seas. As others have said, I run the tabs up and the motors trimmed for the best ride I can get at 18-20 mph. I do have a permatrim on each of the F115s that help lift the stern when i need that.

But...once you arrive at the fishing spot, that MV will not rock and roll like the DVs around you. I’ve fished the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel complex in some very rough weather all day long. The DVs roar in, fish for 30 minutes until their party is all barfing overboard and then roar off back home.

Every hull is a compromise.

I have a 2002 2510 MV (same hull, different topside) and have to slow down in rough seas. As others have said, I run the tabs up and the motors trimmed for the best ride I can get at 18-20 mph. I do have a permatrim on each of the F115s that help lift the stern when i need that.

But...once you arrive at the fishing spot, that MV will not rock and roll like the DVs around you. I’ve fished the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel complex in some very rough weather all day long. The DVs roar in, fish for 30 minutes until their party is all barfing overboard and then roar off back home.

Every hull is a compromise.
I agree. I drift fish extensively in the Flodia Keys. I have a 2003 2520 and would never own any different boat. However, in 2017 I replaced the twin F115 with twin F150. Wow, what a difference!!!! I highly recommend that. Better fuel economy too.
Don, Killin' Time II

Did you not see all the posts on this site regarding the Parker ride. I had a 2520 XL that I ran in the Chesapeake Bay. It would beat you to death if you got into a two foot chop. Not sure about the Deep V but would think that is what you want if you are going into the ocean.

I'm the OP. Thank you for the advice everyone. I slowed my speed and noticed a decent improvement. Using the trim tabs helped very minimally but there was a slight noticeable improvement. If I had to do it over again I'd still go with a deep-V hull as opposed to the modified V that I have now but what's done is done. Thanks again!

I have a 25 se cc Saturday 3 to 4 ft confused sea heavy wind south east quarter beam
tabs down 10 knots into it was ok ok meaning it was manageable coming home wind kicked up following sea 17 knots wasn't bad fished drifting fairly stable with 4 on board

IMO the se has more advantages than the dv
I own a 25 se cc
31 contender
38 Holland
2090 maritime

I have the 2300DV and the boat has a great ride (and typically dry other than a quartering sea with 10 knot winds) for a 23' boat. As others have said, I adjust engine trim and speed based on the sea conditions and rarely use trim tabs. Again, given decent sea conditions, I typically cruise around 22 - 24 knots. This past Friday we had steady 3' seas 10 seconds apart. A friend of mine had his 25' Sportsman CC out with me and we were running beside each other coming back in. Back at the dock he commented how much smoother my boat appeared to be riding just by watching our "body language" on the way back in. I took him back out and let him drive it for about an hour. As soon as we hit the dock he asked me "Know anybody who might be in the market for a 25' Sportsman?"

I have the 2300DV and the boat has a great ride (and typically dry other than a quartering sea with 10 knot winds) for a 23' boat. As others have said, I adjust engine trim and speed based on the sea conditions and rarely use trim tabs. Again, given decent sea conditions, I typically cruise around 22 - 24 knots. This past Friday we had steady 3' seas 10 seconds apart. A friend of mine had his 25' Sportsman CC out with me and we were running beside each other coming back in. Back at the dock he commented how much smoother my boat appeared to be riding just by watching our "body language" on the way back in. I took him back out and let him drive it for about an hour. As soon as we hit the dock he asked me "Know anybody who might be in the market for a 25' Sportsman?"

You’re more or less talking apples to oranges. I don’t doubt the great ride characteristics of your deep V center console but the OP of this thread owns a mod V pilot house. Different hull and helm position is forward of the CC. I have owned the same boat as the OP since 2006. It’s a great boat for a lot of things but going fast in the ocean, particularly into any sort of head sea simply isn’t one of those things unless you enjoy pounding your fillings out of your head.

The mod V Parker 2520 is a spectacular boat on the drift. Extremely stable in most conditions but if you’ve got to get to your fishing location FAST on days when you really need that stable fishing drift the mod-V hull delivers, it will be a very uncomfortable ride getting to and from the fishing grounds.

I have nearly 400 hours on my second engine, put nearly 2000 on my first both pushing around the same Parker 2520XL mod-V. It’s a wonderful boat but you’ve just gotta accept it’s not a go fast kind of hull most days in open water and no trim tab or engine trim technique is gonna change it. Sounds cliche but “it is what it is”......

For the longest time, I was not aware Parker pilot house boats were even made with two different hulls, just like many others I thought of them as off shore deep vee boats. I'm very familiar with MV hulls and have had a lot of personal experience with smaller Boston whalers and Yamaha jet boats - they have some tremendous advantages but running in chop is certainly not one of them.

I now have a "build slot" for a 2320SC (DV) purchased, going into production this December, after sea trials here off of the coast of NJ this time of year and completely satisfied with the hull's performance in rough water. Funny thing is, my decision to seriously consider purchasing a Parker was, shame on me, much delayed due to my own ignorance - taking those "pounding Parker" stories at face value, lacking proper context.

--

Reactions: Efx
I have a 2016 25 SE cc with a 300 Yamaha. I fish Barnegat bay, Manasquan river and the ocean from Shrewsbury rocks to Barnegat inlet. In 3 foot seas I can run 18 with the seas behind me and 13-14 into the seas. Tabs and engine down and quartering the waves. Means I run a little zig zag home. In 1-2 foot seas I run 24 with seas and around 16-17!into the seas.

You’re more or less talking apples to oranges. I don’t doubt the great ride characteristics of your deep V center console but the OP of this thread owns a mod V pilot house. Different hull and helm position is forward of the CC. I have owned the same boat as the OP since 2006. It’s a great boat for a lot of things but going fast in the ocean, particularly into any sort of head sea simply isn’t one of those things unless you enjoy pounding your fillings out of your head.

The mod V Parker 2520 is a spectacular boat on the drift. Extremely stable in most conditions but if you’ve got to get to your fishing location FAST on days when you really need that stable fishing drift the mod-V hull delivers, it will be a very uncomfortable ride getting to and from the fishing grounds.

I have nearly 400 hours on my second engine, put nearly 2000 on my first both pushing around the same Parker 2520XL mod-V. It’s a wonderful boat but you’ve just gotta accept it’s not a go fast kind of hull most days in open water and no trim tab or engine trim technique is gonna change it. Sounds cliche but “it is what it is”......
Mpellet I agree its an apples & oranges comparison regarding a DV & ModV. In no way was I attempting to insinuate that his hull should have the ride of mine. I was merely just stating that Parker did create, in my opinion, a hull well suited for running offshore albeit different from the OP's hull. I apologize if I offended or insulted anyone, it was never my intent.

Mpellet I agree its an apples & oranges comparison regarding a DV & ModV. In no way was I attempting to insinuate that his hull should have the ride of mine. I was merely just stating that Parker did create, in my opinion, a hull well suited for running offshore albeit different from the OP's hull. I apologize if I offended or insulted anyone, it was never my intent.

Rseate,

You certainly didn’t offend me, I’d be shocked if anyone else was. If my response came at you like I was somehow upset, absolutely not the case. Just talking boats my friend. You have yourself a good night...(y)

Back