New Parker owner

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hook Shot

Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 Parker 21SE. I am building a house in Beaufort, NC. My prior boat was a 1990 Mako 241 that I really liked and tried to rebuy from the guy I sold it to when we decided to build this house. I’m hoping the Parker will be big enough for family cruises, in addition to inshore and near-shore fishing. It has the original four-stroke 150 Yamaha with about 150 hours but no trim tabs, which I’ve read are highly recommended. I’m looking forward to learning about this new boat here. Thanks for the add!

you’re gonna love her.

my first boat was a 1977 mako 20. my second was a parker 1801. that was 20 years ago and i have only owned (and still own) parkers since.

i may not be in the majority here but i’m not a big user of trim tabs. i usually find the motor tilt/trim to be adequate to adjust for sea conditions in my 23 se cc and my 2501.

if it was so bad i thought i needed tabs down i’d have slowed down a long time ago and solved that problem.

The necessity for tabs is dependent a lot on how you use the boat. If you boat on a lake, with no chop ever, and have passengers that are perfectly weight balanced at all times, then you probably don't need trim tabs.

The advantages of tabs are: they give you the ability to control the longitudinal attitude (list) of the boat while underway, since they will force the bow up or down and/or to port or stbd based on how they're configured side to side. They also give you a better ability to control the overall up/down angle of the bow, independent of the motor trim, which can lead to better efficiency.

The disadvantage is: you have to install trim tabs. There's an monetary, effort and space cost associated with that. If that doesn't phase you, then tabs are a great investment.

Having the ability to push the bow down into a choppy sea can make the difference between getting bounced around, barely on plane, and fighting back to port while getting beat up, or just being able to bury the bow, slow down, and enjoy the relatively calm ride. You can do that with the motor (a Permatrim helps a lot), but having the tabs gives you another option. If you have the space, money, and ability/more money to have them installed, I'd recommend them.

Back