Night Time Windshield Glare

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antidote

Reaction score
Anyone else battle with the navionics glare off the windshield at night? I am able to turn the MFD down enough that it's not too bad; but, my 6YC just doesn't go dark enough. I wind up putter the cover over it to block it; but, I really don't like not seeing what the engines are doing. I'm thinking about trying a computer privacy screen cover over the 6YC. The kind that you can see the screen from in front of it; but, not to the sides. I'm thinking the windshield wouldn't be able to "see" the screen so it wouldn't cast the glare back at me. Am I nuts?

Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Computer-Privacy-Screen-Protector/dp/B091FSPDJ6/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1UGGW96Z50PMT&keywords=computer+privacy+screen&qid=1637493191&qsid=135-3170415-6856168&sprefix=computer+pro,aps,178&sr=8-10&sres=B075KLGN7L,B0827PPDJ4,B07L6X8KDW,B07NTKXWHB,B08YVWMDH6,B08X38GL5H,B091FSPDJ6,B08X382HSV,B08ZNQ3CFN,B07F5X4SNN,B07WG72H8R,B07LB8MRKZ,B014Z7JJF0,B082VMWGST,B07F8D317H,B01LY85LF8&th=1

Last edited:
Anyone else battle with the navionics glare off the windshield at night? I am able to turn the MFD down enough that it's not too bad; but, my 6YC just doesn't go dark enough. I wind up putter the cover over it to block it; but, I really don't like not seeing what the engines are doing. I'm thinking about trying a computer privacy screen cover over the 6YC. The kind that you can see the screen from in front of it; but, not to the sides. I'm thinking the windshield wouldn't be able to "see" the screen so it wouldn't cast the glare back at me. Am I nuts?

Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Computer-Privacy-Screen-Protector/dp/B091FSPDJ6/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1UGGW96Z50PMT&keywords=computer+privacy+screen&qid=1637493191&qsid=135-3170415-6856168&sprefix=computer+pro,aps,178&sr=8-10&sres=B075KLGN7L,B0827PPDJ4,B07L6X8KDW,B07NTKXWHB,B08YVWMDH6,B08X38GL5H,B091FSPDJ6,B08X382HSV,B08ZNQ3CFN,B07F5X4SNN,B07WG72H8R,B07LB8MRKZ,B014Z7JJF0,B082VMWGST,B07F8D317H,B01LY85LF8&th=1
Hi Antidote, Not Navionics, but I too have a glare issue when running at night. (the electronics mirrored in the window glass)... Your link to the Screen Protector gave me an idea I'd like to try; making a couple 'custom covers' out of super-dark tinted plastic film. Now, when running at night (which is not that often) I turn off all but the essential electronics; The ones still in use I have the screens dimmed as far down as they will go, and yet they are still too bright.
(If the weather's nice I also open the front and side windows, which of course eliminates the glare/reflection issue; by the way, I don't run on plane at night)...
I have a large, super-bright LED 'GAME ROOM' sign in our game room; the type usually used by commercial companies. It was so bright, it blinded everyone in the room. I built a custom cover for that, and made it where we were able see by keep adding layers of the super-dark-tinted plastic film, until I added enough layers to make the 'Game Room' sign bearable. It took six layers.... I think a similar 'home made' cover might work on the boat...

Last edited:
Andy,
The MFD gets dark enough that it’s not a problem. It’s the Yamaha 6YC that is the issue. I don’t run with any top side lights illuminated (except Nav lights). The reflection of the 6YC is right in my line of sight so it’s very annoying even with it in night mode and turned all the the way dim. That’s why I’m thinking of the screen cover so that the windshield won't be able to "see" it and reflect it back at me.

The other light source problem I have is the Nav Light Switch itself. With the switch in Nav Light mode the light in the switch casts light across the helm. In Anchor mode it cast the light away from the helm. I thought about flipping the switch so it would do the opposite. For now I stick a 3M ear plug under the switch and it blocks the light.

Andy,
The MFD gets dark enough that it’s not a problem. It’s the Yamaha 6YC that is the issue. I don’t run with any top side lights illuminated (except Nav lights). The reflection of the 6YC is right in my line of sight so it’s very annoying even with it in night mode and turned all the the way dim. That’s why I’m thinking of the screen cover so that the windshield won't be able to "see" it and reflect it back at me.

The other light source problem I have is the Nav Light Switch itself. With the switch in Nav Light mode the light in the switch casts light across the helm. In Anchor mode it cast the light away from the helm. I thought about flipping the switch so it would do the opposite. For now I stick a 3M ear plug under the switch and it blocks the light.
Thank you; I think the screen covers are worth a shot,.... It's a bigger deal for those of us with older-eyes, as night vision is impaired already; either running boats and/or driving cars.
I would not trade the 'issue' for a non-pilothouse boat, but I fully admit that night time running is more more difficult (vision-wise) inside the pilothouse. It was the same issue on our last three boats, even when I had younger eyes.
1637545391538.png

Last edited:
I tried the privacy screen. I cut the screen cover to fit with scissors. It works.

Thank you; good advice; I'll give that a try...

When you do this make sure to turn the screen protector 90 degrees in order for it to work. The screen protectors only block horizontally in their normal installation. You want it to block vertically.

When you do this make sure to turn the screen protector 90 degrees in order for it to work. The screen protectors only block horizontally in their normal installation. You want it to block vertically.

How does this affect screen visibility with sunglasses on? Or do you only put the screen protector on at night?

I did try it during the day with sunglasses on. It does dim the screen a little; however, it remains very readable. It's not like polarized instrument lenses on aircraft.

Back