NMEA 2000 Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomc585

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering adding a fuel flow sensor (gfs 10) to work with my NMEA capable Garmin unit. Can I just connect it to the garmin (will it be powered from the garmin?) or do I still need to create a minimal NMEA 2000 network? I dont plan on adding any additional components any time soon.

Is there an available input? You’ve probably already got your GPS antenna and transducer plugged in, right?

It's a 546s and I'm using the internal antenna. The transducer is connected via the garmins data/power cable. There is a 5pin nmea 2000 port on the back.
From what researching I think I need to build a backbone with a minimum of 3 "T" 's.
1 for the garmin,
1 for the fuel sensor and
1 for a power feed cable
Plus a male and female terminator
I was hoping I could just plug the fuel sensor into the garmins nmea port and be done without the added expense of building an entire network backbone.

Where does the fuel sensor plug in? If it’s inside the engine cowling why not run an engine data feed cable while you’re at it and tap into a whole bunch of engine info too?

Nope, you’ll need to build the network. It’s very easy if you’ve got the space, an open fuse spot and negative screw. The unit will get power from the NMEA backbone. The biggest PITA is dealing with the NMEA cable coils; they’re never the right length unless you want to mess with fabricating your own cables with bulk cable and connectors. Unless you’re as OCD about cables as I am, it’s probably not worth it.

Back