Non Skid Painting???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindawggy

Reaction score
Hey all!

Quick post to see if anybody has any input on painting the non skid on my 1801. I was think about using Gelcoat and Soft Sand so that I'm sure the color will match the rest fo the boat. Anything else out there I should consider or be aware of before applying?

Thanks in advance!

Vince

Do NOT use sand......Use this.....Instructions say 1 can per Qt.

Use 1/2 can per Qt. You can get it at Lowes

Z-2M0ufo5oy.JPG

The non-skid referenced ^^^^ by Wart is the same I used.

I've used both 2-part Awlgrip and single part Brightside paint. Awlgrip is nice. But expensive and very toxic. And not user friendly. And will wear-out after 5-10 years.

Single part paints are cheap and easy to apply. Not toxic. And will need to be reapplied after 3-5 years of use.

Are you mixing the rustoleum with paint or gel coat? Any suggestions on source for matching parker paint. Cecil Marine gel coat is awesome match

Yes ...As I stated.....1/2 of that can.....stirred into a Qt of paint....Rolled with a Foam West System roller.....Do NOT use a Foam Roller not intended for Epoxies.....They fall apart and make a Hell of a mess.... For a Matching color in Awlgrip it's Egg Shell White H8015....It takes the same effort using cheap paint as it does using High end paint.....How often do you want to do it? For me I'd use the Awlgrip.

Thanks for the info. I will use Awlgrip.

My 1800 was non-skidded using Awlgrip and as Warthog says above, the Eggshell White is a good match for the old Parker gelcoat color. Mine was done by my local dealer, who used to rig and sell Parkers many years ago and has now started a winter-time side hustle rebuilding old hulls with all new systems and power. Many of these are Awlgripped all of over and turn out absolutely beautiful. I had originally planned to have my exterior hull Awlgripped in Fighting Lady Yellow, but my gelcoat was in such good shape that Gib talked me into just letting him buff it up to save $$. I redid the console myself and used Awlgrip to bring it back to like new condidtion. It is not that hard to work with - and this was a bright gloss finish - nonskid should be much easier. See photo below of my console and a sister to my boat that Gib redid in Ice Blue.

Cap'n Dan20180504_092742.jpg

Attachments

• 20180418_143506.jpg
    20180418_143506.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
Hey all!

Quick post to see if anybody has any input on painting the non skid on my 1801. I was think about using Gelcoat and Soft Sand so that I'm sure the color will match the rest fo the boat. Anything else out there I should consider or be aware of before applying?

Thanks in advance!

Vince
There is. a product called Sharkskin, sold at Lowe’s and home. depot, that I used in the gloss stain I used on my pool deck. It’s dry and you mix it with the paint. Very easy to use and did a great job

W... It seldomhurts to check but yes I got H8015 H3002 and T0031 I am now looking for Foam West Roller System Thank you for using your experience to help others

Great....You will have a nice job with that.....Awlgrip actually makes a nonskid additive.....Actually they make 3 Light, med and heavy.....I've never used them, because the Rustolum was so easy to get and I really liked the results.....There is a guy I know that did a buddy of mines boat....I haven't talked to him yet to find out what he used on my buddies boat....But I Hate it ! It's way to corse and will tear you up....In fact when a 10year old fell he skinned his leg up on it....When I installed a Trolling motor on the boat it was tearing my knees up. I had heard thru the grape vine that Awlgrips corse was like Rocks. I suspect this guy used their medium?

Wart - I've used the Awlgrip "course" non-skid. And what you heard is 100% correct. It is very course. It's probably best suited for work boats and commercial vessels where passangers always wear boots and pants. If you fall onto a deck covered in Awlgrip course non-skid, you'll probably need a liter or 2 of blood to keep you from bleeding out.

I am ready to apply. Questions, all materials per warthog. when do I mix anti slip? into paint just prior to application?
What is the working time for application after mixing? Do I roll everything or brush some (like edges) if so, what bristle for brush? Thanks to all

It kinda depends on the Brushing of the edges....If the roller can get in there or not? But you can brush the edges....Awlgrip flows pretty dang good......

Mix the non skid after A& B of Awlgrip has been mixed together....I keep it in a cup so you can mix it more just before putting a amount in a roller tray. That way you can stir it again. Just use a decent brush....Read [No Chip Brushes] the hairs fall out.

I step back from the edge side /floor joint of the deck when I tape. This gives a smooth trough around the permiter with a contrasting color.......I use something like 3/8in wide 3M fineline tape......Then use automotive tape and masking to the outside of that. The Fineline assures a crisp tape line.

What else you want to know? :)

Thanks Warthog, Your response is what I hoped for. I think I am the right track. Should I be concerned about working time after initial mixing. I am old slow and anal. At first i was just going to do the main deck. After further thought I have removed all hardware, rails, cleats, etc. and I am, doing it all, one section at a time starting at the cabin top, front deck and side rails (top side) and the main deck and back deck what we westerners call off shore bracket. I like this site

Back