Oiled interior teak...try it!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sow&Pigs

Reaction score
For those of you who who have an older Parker with some teak here and there, I've got a tip if you don't mind expending a little elbow grease :lol:

Oil your interior teak by wet-sanding.

The '91 MVSC I bought had really neglected teak inside the cabin. All of it was totally dried out, and some was badly oxidized, almost white.

I took it all off, gave it a good initial sanding with 80, 120 and 220 grit to get down to healthy wood, and then brushed on a coat of Interlux Tung oil. I let two or three coats sink in, and then wet sanded two coats (letting it soak in between coats) with 400 wet/dry. I buffed out the sanding paste, working it in to the grain really well, then added another couple of coats of oil and let them soak in well. Lastly, I wet-sanded the final coat of oil in with 600 grit wet/dry and gave it a final buff.

You wouldn't believe how nice it came out. As smooth as a baby's ass (actually, smoother) with a really nice mellow glow. I figure a once-a-year touch-up with some fine bronze wool and a wipe-down and it will stay like this for a long time.

I should add that this is instead of a mirror-like shine like you'd get from ten coats of varnish. With well oiled and wet sanded teak the finish is a smooth satin.

If you want to dress up your old, tired interior teak, take a small piece off and try it. I think you'll be pretty surprised how nice it looks and feels.

Back