Opinion on how much chain is "enough" chain...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
OK, before everyone says "AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AFFORD!" let me set a few background details in place:

2320 EC
We anchor in rocky reefs in central California islands, and dealing with surge/swell is typical while anchored. 16 lb Lewmar "claw" type anchor.

I got a deal a few years ago on 25' of 3/8" chain and so we've been using that and feeling very safe while anchored (in fact the anchor rarely actually even "digs in" after the initial set.

However, this 3/8" chain is a beeyotch to pull, and if I don't have a kid obn board to pull the anchor, I won't anchor any deeper than about 30', which means we miss some good fishing... :)

Its time for new rode, and I'd like to upgrade to 8-plait braided line from the 3-strand. However, all the pre-spliced 1/2" rode + 1/4" G4 chain I can find only comes with 15' of chain. That just doesn't seem like enough.

My only alternative is going to West Marine and paying about 3x the price for a custom spliced setup.

What do you guys think - how many of you think 15' is plenty, vs. not enough?

Thanks,

Brent

Oh, and yes, one of these days I WILL add a Lewmar Profish free-fall windlass, but for now I'm spending that money on a new helm pump, control cables, bilge pumps, and 800 hour service... :(

My advise is worthless on the west coast as here in NC the bottom is almost always a sandy bottom with few obstructions. That said, I consider the minimum to be 6’ of chain which will work here in typical situations under 40 ish feet anyway. I would think 15’ would be enough but ultimately I think your best answer should come from other West Coast CP members who typically anchor in your type of bottom.

My first question is could you put a windlass on your boat?

As explained to me the weight of the chain helps keep the anchor down, if you get a big wind or swell you could land up dragging anchor into rocks or another boat. I have 30'.

I saw someone use a float and large hoop to have the boat pull the chain/anchor up. Maybe that might make your life easier.

I've been hooked on a yellow and had my boat start to slip while fighting it...

Thanks guys. Yea I’ve tried the anchor ball trick and It just seems to bend the expensive steel ring contraption after a few good pulls.

The bottom here is very rugged and rocky interspersed with sandy patches. We try to drop on sand but often there isn’t that option. So the chain to me provides a lot of abrasion resistance in addition to keeping the tail end of the anchor on the ground where it needs to be to stay set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked at American Rope Co.? 300ft 1/2inch 8 plait and 30ft 1/4inch galvanized iso 4 chain for $260 plus shipping.

americanrope.com

600 ft 8 plait came spliced to 30 ft of chain at my local commercial fish supply house.

Windlass=22 lewmar delta hanging off the pulpit

No Windlass/or pulpit= modified danforth (cut to fit in the anchor locker tray)

I love a windlass set-up especially if the crew is tired and less than motivated to haul it in anchor ball or no anchor ball. Chain and anchor have to be well over 100#.

The down side on the windlass is that like any mechanical device dipped in saltwater, it will eventually have issues.

My current set-up......

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 327
Typical ballpark on length is: chain length = length of the boat
If the pre-made rode only has 15' of 1/4" chain, you can add length pretty easily using a clevis to make it whatever length you want.

I hav not use one but great solution
9e9c789be1e825093033f3039283aabc.jpg

Except if your handling it and the installer did not take the time to get those cotter key ends right and you stick one in your hand.

Back