Ordering a 2120 next week

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPYarmouth

Reaction score
Putting my deposit down on a new 2120 next week. I live on cape cod and will spending my time in Nantucket sound. looking for suggestions on a few options..

150HP VS 200HP -about a 5K upgrade.

Windless with 2K upgrade?

I am finishing my 4th season on a 2017 2120sc, I have nearly 400 hours of experience on Nantucket Sound. I opted for the Yamaha 175 hp. At WOT it can achieve 41 mph—not that there are many days you can achieve that speed on Nantucket Sound. I have heard that the 150 hp is somewhat underpowered. Portside opening windshield and radar should be considered. I considered a windlass, but but could not justify the expense and I have read that they can be troublesome. If you would like to discuss, leave me your phone number.

Yes on both:
I had a 2012 Parker 2120. She had the 150 Yamaha. With a full fuel tank, full livewell, fishbox, ice, 3 guys, gear, the 150 struggled to get on plane: Like a 9 second plaining speed.
Definitely get the 200 Yamaha.

The windlass. I used mine all the time bottom fishing: they install a lewmar profish 700 freewill anchor at Parker: It's the best for bottom fishing.

I just ordered a new 2320, definitely maximized the HP on the transom ( 300) and ordered the windlass package. Just do it. It's only money. You can always make more.

Putting my deposit down on a new 2120 next week. I live on cape cod and will spending my time in Nantucket sound. looking for suggestions on a few options..

150HP VS 200HP -about a 5K upgrade.

Windless with 2K upgrade?
Go for the 200 it’s always nice to have added power to get you out of any situation.

The 2120 is a heavy 21ft. boat, without any doubt go with the 200hp as there is now no weight penalty! You should be able to negotiate that $5K upgrade down considerably.

Not sure where you are buying, but I was able to negotiate 21% off my new Parker 2320 purchase at the Parker dealership. Upgrades are ALWAYS negotionable. Start chatting with your sales person ( Before you put your deposit down).

We own a 2120 w a 150 > it’s underpowered. If I had a do over I would at min go w a 200 and strongly consider a 225.

It’s honestly a dog w the 150. It works, but given you have the option to not make the 150 mistake > don’t make it!

No question, definitely get the 200. The 2120 has a 21 degree deadrise DV hull and needs the extra oomph . I have a 2009 21SE with mod V and a 150, it's ok but would rather have a little more HP. Good luck with your purchase.

The FX200B weighs the same as the FX150A, so you get more hp without the extra weight...

I would also get the second station... wasn't looking for one when I bought, but it had one... won't buy another boat, especially a sport cabin, without one... use it tons for crabbing, shrimping, docking and chasing large fish...

I’m also in NaN sound and have a 2005 2120 with the 2005 200 Yamaha. I sure wish I could exchange it for a new 4 cylinder 200 Yamaha for $5,000! Yes to the 200. As to the windless, I do not have one, but wish I did. I fish alone and it would be great to have one. However, windlesses do get jammed and you may have to cling the sides and go forward to clear it, or climb into the bow and pull the line down to clear the jam. They are good but far from perfect. I also wish I had the second station in the cockpit. Don’t skimp on trim tabs! You need them in Nantucket sound. Get a good set with dash indicators.

I cruise mine around 25 mph. Some days I can do 30, others 18. If you have the means, consider the 23.

I am finishing my 4th season on a 2017 2120sc, I have nearly 400 hours of experience on Nantucket Sound. I opted for the Yamaha 175 hp. At WOT it can achieve 41 mph—not that there are many days you can achieve that speed on Nantucket Sound. I have heard that the 150 hp is somewhat underpowered. Portside opening windshield and radar should be considered. I considered a windlass, but but could not justify the expense and I have read that they can be troublesome. If you would like to discuss, leave me your phone number.
Hello and thank you for your reply.
My name is John and I live in South Yarmouth.
Please feel free to call me at 617-529-8096 if you have some time to talk.

Thanks
JP

I have a Suzuki 200 on a 21. Couldn’t imagine a 150, would not be happy. Do know someone with a 225 Yamaha who loves it. If anything, consider that as well.

Another vote for max power........ my last boat (I had it for 34 years), was underpowered. There were a number of times that I wish had a few more horsepower climbing the back of large swells, and once when I almost got t-boned by a guy running on plane in thick fog with no radar.

When I purchased my current boat (2018 2510 XLD) I told the dealer I wanted to max out the HP with twin 250's. He said you don't really need that, they suggest the twin 200's. In fact, he was told they do not put the 250's on the 2510 XLD. Told him that was a deal breaker. They ended up putting the 250's on (with the Permatrims I wanted) and we made the deal. This dealer also sold Regulators. After the sea trial, he said "that's the best performing Parker I have sold, it handles like a 28 Regulator".

I have had a couple of times re-entering the Cape Fear river with an outgoing tide and a counter wind that produced close interval 6' "standing waves". I was damn glad I had the extra power (read quick response) going thru almost a 1/2 mile of that crap.

I'm now a fan of maxing out your rated HP. When you need it (in a bad situation), it's too late to add it on.

Best of luck,
John

I have a Suzuki 200 on a 21. Couldn’t imagine a 150, would not be happy. Do know someone with a 225 Yamaha who loves it. If anything, consider that as well.

After lots of input I just called my dealer and he sent the new contract with the 200. Thanks all for you input!

JP

i have a 2003 2120 with a 200 hpdi going on 2300 hrs. all is good but when it goes i will go with the 225 hp

I have a 2002 2320 with 200 hpdi on a bracket. With a full tank of gas, crew of 3-4 and gear I wish I had more power. I just got a quote for a 250 Suzuki repower and it’s tempting as I’m using my boat much more since being retired.

Back