Outriggers for 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
I've managed to put this off all winter. I've gone back and forth on which style and istallation to use and I'm just about ready to order the Lee Junior OH226S (wishbone style)and mount them to the sides of the pilothouse. (this and the settup like John Madison are my favorite)

Before I go drilling and tinkering I'd like to get some input.

What do you think should go on the inside of the pilothouse as far as support or a backing?

What style poles do you prefer and/or suggest?

Any thoughts or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

2520XL

Richard: I went with the 16' Extra Stiff Lee poles, however, if you go with the Wishbone mounts, I would probably get 18' single spreader poles. They'd look super there.

Good Luck !

John

Thanks John.

I was just about ready to duplicate your rig when I changed my mind. I was on a boat in Hawaiii that was using tag lines on its outriggers. I think the side mounted wishbone would put them in perfect position for that type of setup.

Amazing how expensive these pieces are!

Richard

Richard:

The Wishbones look great on a Parker. My concern was with the obstruction the pole causes in the cockpit as it appears that it leans into this area. Also, access to the front of the boat is compromised, but it's all personal opinion.

Either way, I would support the backside of either mount with Starboard, in seafoam color. easy to use and strong.

BTW, can you tell me how your kicker engine's battery leads are wired? Are they wired to the same battery as your main engine is connected to? Some have warned me that I may cause an issue doing it this way.

John

Richard, I sure hope you document that install because those are the exact same outriggers I want for my boat. :D

This years 'project money' went towards my rear driving station install, but I hope to put a set of Lee Jr Wishbones on my boat next winter. I was planning on using a set of 19' polished poles and have a friend double-rig them.

In doing my outrigger research... I came apon this Grady Sailfish in my boatyard and took some photos. This boat has a set of 22' satin finished, double rigged poles.

Image-81C2AA35673B11D9.jpg

Image-81C2DB58673B11D9.jpg

Image-81C301B2673B11D9.jpg

Image-81C326FE673B11D9.jpg

Image-81C34C3B673B11D9.jpg

Image-81C371AF673B11D9.jpg

Image-81C396B1673B11D9.jpg

Image-81C3E8E6673B11D9.jpg

This boat even had reels loaded with heavy mono to help in cranking the riggers back in.
I don't think I'll be needing them on mine. :)

Image-81C40F33673B11D9.jpg

I took this shot to show how close the riggers stow to the cabin sides.
Some people have had resiverations about mounting wishbones to the side of the pilothouse, due to concerns with limiting movement forward.
I think this photo shows that not to be a concern.

Image-81C45BBE673B11D9.jpg

For backing plates, I think I'd use some 1/8" aluminum on the inside of the p'house...

Good luck with your project! :D

Doc - I have the same setup as John. I did consider the wishbone but opted to go roof mounted for the following reasons:

1. I was afraind the wishbones would make it difficult to walk to the bow

2. Cost

3. Roof mounts keep everyting out of the way when not not in use.

4. Did I say cost?

Brad

PS. Kevin the reels in the GW are teaser reels. Usually an extra glass ring is added to the rigger pole and the line from the teaser reels is run through the glass ring. Lots of guys in my area use them...but my feeling no hook no good.!

Parker":39b3qwnu said:
PS. Kevin the reels in the GW are teaser reels. Usually an extra glass ring is added to the rigger pole and the line from the teaser reels is run through the glass ring. Lots of guys in my area use them...but my feeling no hook no good.!

Shows how little I know. :?

I saw where the mono was attached to the pole and thought it was there to deploy and retreive. :oops:

John_Madison CT":ai2byawv said:
Richard:

The Wishbones look great on a Parker. My concern was with the obstruction the pole causes in the cockpit as it appears that it leans into this area. Also, access to the front of the boat is compromised, but it's all personal opinion.

Either way, I would support the backside of either mount with Starboard, in seafoam color. easy to use and strong.

BTW, can you tell me how your kicker engine's battery leads are wired? Are they wired to the same battery as your main engine is connected to? Some have warned me that I may cause an issue doing it this way.

John

John,

Yes, the kicker is wired to the same battery as the main..... I've had no problems..... all I know is that when things work they work great.

Back to outriggers......

Man those single spreader poles by Lee are expensive... about 1200 bucks...... someone will have to tell me why they are better than standard poles......

So far the best price I can find on the Lee Wishbone OH226S is

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/ ... H226S.html

Richard

Back