Parker 18ft, 1800, 1801 with 90hp four stroke outboard

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Informational only, as I had a hard time finding this info:

1986 Parker Sou'wester 18'
2005 Mercury 90hp 4S Carbed 20"

With 2 guys, 15 gallons fuel, TTop and flat seas in Chesapeake Bay...

Cruise at 4000rpm: 25-26 mph
WOT at 5500: 34-35 mph

Roughly 4mpg in real world mixed use.

Boat does not feel under powered, but 115hp would probably be perfect. Hole shot is easy. No tabs...yet. GPS speed numbers.IMG_2336.jpg

I have a 1990 18' with 90 Merc 2 stroke and I get exact same performance as you. Mine does not have a T-top though. That's a nice hull.

Thanks. Certainly 'big' for an 18ft but I think 90 is sufficient. In the Chesapeake, it's a rare day to cruise faster than mid-20's, at least in anything smaller than 23.

I should mention, aluminum prop. 13 1/4 x 17.

@Sou'wester-18 - Don't mind answering your questions at all, but didn't want to distract from the other topic.

Updating this post with more info:
  • 90 Merc 4stroke seems plenty. I've posted some numbers above but here again with detail:
    • Prop is a Turbo 4-blade Stainless 13 1/4 x 16
    • Jumps on plane fine, spins almost exactly 6000 with normal load
    • 4500 rpm cruise is 23-25 mph
    • 5200 rpm is 29-30 mph
    • 6000 rpm hits 34+
    • Never felt underpowered
  • Moved the batteries to under console front seat
  • Love the BlueSea contour switches. Easy install and they work great.
  • Leaning Post is the Todd Universal
    • Look for a Taco or similar
    • The Todd is ok, but not that nice or comfortable.
  • 30 gallon tank is plenty, 40 would be better
    • Any more is just less time between fill ups
    • I've ran for 2 days in a fishing tourney and used about 23-25 gallons total
If rebuilding or redecking, I would slide console forward about 6 inches, and go for the Yamaha 115hp. Maybe the Suzuki 140 (light for its class, top of the displacement group). Anything around 400lbs or so. It would provide a lower rpm cruise, and letting it fly on calm days would be nice.

Jim

@Sou'wester-18 - Don't mind answering your questions at all, but didn't want to distract from the other topic.

Updating this post with more info:
  • 90 Merc 4stroke seems plenty. I've posted some numbers above but here again with detail:
    • Prop is a Turbo 4-blade Stainless 13 1/4 x 16
    • Jumps on plane fine, spins almost exactly 6000 with normal load
    • 4500 rpm cruise is 23-25 mph
    • 5200 rpm is 29-30 mph
    • 6000 rpm hits 34+
    • Never felt underpowered
  • Moved the batteries to under console front seat
  • Love the BlueSea contour switches. Easy install and they work great.
  • Leaning Post is the Todd Universal
    • Look for a Taco or similar
    • The Todd is ok, but not that nice or comfortable.
  • 30 gallon tank is plenty, 40 would be better
    • Any more is just less time between fill ups
    • I've ran for 2 days in a fishing tourney and used about 23-25 gallons total
If rebuilding or redecking, I would slide console forward about 6 inches, and go for the Yamaha 115hp. Maybe the Suzuki 140 (light for its class, top of the displacement group). Anything around 400lbs or so. It would provide a lower rpm cruise, and letting it fly on calm days would be nice.

Jim
Thanks for the info, the Evinrude 120 2 stroke on it now will probly be put back on it into it gives problems. I was just curious about the hp. The other info is very helpful. I am with you on sliding the console forward. It is currently a 40 gal tank and I'll put it back as it seems to be solid. I'll be really happy to get it back on the water! Again thanks for all the great info.

Back