Parker 2310 Roof Remodel / Repair

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A^4

Reaction score
I have done many projects on my boat over the years, but this one was pretty gnarly, came out great and might inspire some other insane person to do the same or similar thing. Basically my roof had some water damage from the previous owner moving the antennae around, and from putting screws that were too long in for the dome light. The screws went thru the top just enough to crack the gelcoat up top, I really never saw it until I felt water on my head while cruising out to Catalina 4 months ago. It probably leaked water for at least a few years when I bought it. As well, I want a belly loop on the roof, and could have just fixed that damage and put it up there, but I wanted to create a flat deck for a cooler seat on my curved roof, add a ton of strength for large people, and repair the water damage. It came out adjacent to perfect.
1.jpg
Cut out all the damage and created the space for the coosa board to insert later., you can see the staining where water damage was getting worse.
2.jpg
Adhesive filler layer to make it more uniform.
3.jpg
Chop matting fiberglass, some cloth, in many different size cuts to give it a flatter surface on this convex roof. I think it ended up being about 13 layers of glass on the outside, 3 down the middle.
4.jpg
Two more thick chop layers underneath to attach the coosa board. Note to anyone using coosa board, very light, very strong, very rigid, be careful with the sander!
5.jpg
Jackson Pollock
6.jpg
Tons of sanding, spot fiberglass jobs, and adhesive filler resin multiple times during the entire process in numerous spots, to get that final layer as level and smooth as possible. Final cloth layer.
7e.jpg
Then some gelcoat, sand, prime, sand...
8e.jpg
, non skid paint, cure, and put everything back together.
9e.jpg
Now when I get the belly loop in 9 months, the seat will have plenty of support, and the roof will be a lot stronger.

I have done many projects on my boat over the years, but this one was pretty gnarly, came out great and might inspire some other insane person to do the same or similar thing. Basically my roof had some water damage from the previous owner moving the antennae around, and from putting screws that were too long in for the dome light. The screws went thru the top just enough to crack the gelcoat up top, I really never saw it until I felt water on my head while cruising out to Catalina 4 months ago. It probably leaked water for at least a few years when I bought it. As well, I want a belly loop on the roof, and could have just fixed that damage and put it up there, but I wanted to create a flat deck for a cooler seat on my curved roof, add a ton of strength for large people, and repair the water damage. It came out adjacent to perfect.
View attachment 33304
Cut out all the damage and created the space for the coosa board to insert later., you can see the staining where water damage was getting worse.
View attachment 33305
Adhesive filler layer to make it more uniform.
View attachment 33306
Chop matting fiberglass, some cloth, in many different size cuts to give it a flatter surface on this convex roof. I think it ended up being about 13 layers of glass on the outside, 3 down the middle.
View attachment 33307
Two more thick chop layers underneath to attach the coosa board. Note to anyone using coosa board, very light, very strong, very rigid, be careful with the sander!
View attachment 33308
Jackson Pollock
View attachment 33309
Tons of sanding, spot fiberglass jobs, and adhesive filler resin multiple times during the entire process in numerous spots, to get that final layer as level and smooth as possible. Final cloth layer.
View attachment 33310
Then some gelcoat, sand, prime, sand...
View attachment 33311
, non skid paint, cure, and put everything back together.
View attachment 33312
Now when I get the belly loop in 9 months, the seat will have plenty of support, and the roof will be a lot stronger.
Exceptional job..... you are a pro!

Reactions: A^4
Nice work. Lots of patience on this one. I’ll see you out Catalina.

Reactions: A^4
Awesome.
How long did the attack plan take?

overall projectbtune?
I started the project early March, and finished 2 weeks ago, so around 3 months. If I'd had regular help, no distracting kids, no full time job and perfect weather it would have gone faster. Super fun time.

Back