Parker 2320 (225 vs 250 vs 300)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgdpt

Reaction score
Im looking for a used but newer 2320 and Im in CA. I was told the 300 is "too much" motor for these boats out here. A friend that was on one said with our seas and the swell out here you are either lugging the motor going 20-24 kts or you are "launching" off the waves going way to fast 30-35. Can anyone clarify? He said a 225 is perfect. I was looking for a 250 or a 300 with low hours but now I'm not sure.

Also I'm wondering if re-propping the motor would be the fix? Or is that bad for the motor? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I did a search and didnt see the answer.

Also, we like to run with 4 big guys (200-250) and a big cooler and a big kill bag.

Here is M2cw . Add a real Permatrim, load up boat with full load and gas, and determine motor optimal height, set it then prop to motor max rpm. If it is 6000 rpm then prop as close to it. You have a loaded up boat and 4 blade prop will help but need to get to the max rpm to prevent lugging.

The friend who gave you this advice doesn't have a clue what he/ she is talking about on this topic. The 300 is the PERFECT motor for the 2320. Consider this: 4100 pounds for the hull, 600 pound for the motor, 200 pounds of ice, 200 pounds of fish, 200 pounds of gear, 3 guys ( 500 pounds), livewell full (400 pounds), full fuel (800 pounds): That is a LOT of weight.
There are many many many testimonies and bulletins comparing the 200, 225, 250, 300 on that model's transom.
Lug the motor? Please. That motor will be running close to 4200 rpm's pushing that hull at 24 knots. Just prop the motor correctly. Under propping is how you lug a motor.

I would venture to say the 200 and the 225 are UNDER-powered for that hull. The 250 or the 300 is the only way to go on a 23 Parker ( pilothouse or CC) Unless you're just drinking cocktails in the harbor not subjecting that motor to any real loads.

Yep What Sydngoose said.. IE: Your buddy is full of Crap! No one has ever said......I wish I had less Horsepower.

That stick......called a throtle Control is just eased back. The engines weigh damn near the same so....there is no weight issue with them.

The answer that question will need to first determine how you plan on using the boat. How far offshore? How many people? How big of a livewell? How fast do you like to run?

I've fished the waters of Monterrey Bay and know that you can be 1/2 mile offshore and in several thousand feet of water so you (the OP) may only anticipate running 5-10 miles per trip. And if you are happy with a 20kt cruise speed and only carry 30-40 gallon livewell, then you may be completely happy with a F225 or F250 (as a point of reference, the F250 was the Gold Standard on the 23 DV hull for many, many years).

But if you are running 100-200 miles per trip and want to carry 4-5 people and a 60 gallon livewell and need a 30kt cruise speed then you may find the F300 to be the better engine for your specific needs.

From what I experienced in Southern California, I'd be happy with either a 3.3l 225 with a 14 or 15" pitch prop or a 3.3l F250 with a 16-17" prop knowing that I was rarely exceeding 20-24kt cruise speed. But y'all have a pretty good ground swell even when its calm so I can't foresee a need for a boat that can easily cruise at 30kts.

All of this said, the new digital-controlled F300 can easily cruise at 3000 rpm and maintain a cruise speed or 20kts and easily put you on plane in just about any conditions you desire (weight, seas, etc). Plus the resale value of the hull is remarkably better with a 300 than a 250 and very few people will accept a 2320 with an F225.

Last edited:
Based on my own experience with three engines (250 OX66, BF225, BF250) on my 2330DV, I will say that equally important to HP is the TORQUE. Unfortunately OB manufacturers don't publish torque numbers, so you just have to listen to anecdotes and weigh them for yourself. I found that the Honda 225 was adequate but after recently switching to a new Honda 250, I am BLOWN AWAY at how much better it is. And I don't think its because of the additional 25 hp (which is frankly debatable, anyway). Its because this is a larger 3.6L displacement engine that likely produces more torque at low and mid-range RPMs and uses a 2:1 final drive ratio. I don't hear people talk about this much, but I will tell you that on a 4-stroke motor on a heavy boat that drive ratio makes a big difference. (totally different if we were talking about a FL go-fast boat with triple 300s and a desire to go 80 mph). The "BLAST" and "VTEC" seem to work much more effectively on the new 250 to boost (and flatten) the torque curve versus the older 225.

Just like shifting to a lower gear on a bike makes climbing hills easier, the lower gear ratio of this new 250 makes a *dramatic* difference in getting on plane, maintaining plane at lower speeds, and also overall fuel economy. (My fuel economy has improved by 20-30% with a BIGGER motor, and its not even broken in yet). My motor height is correct, but I have not started playing with prop selection (currently running a 3-blade Solas Titan 15P). I'm not as big a fan of the Permatrim as others here, based on my personal experience, but they don't really do any harm (other than dilling holes in your lower unit and knocking a few MPH off your top speed)

So, M2CW is that a 225 with a 1.86 drive ratio will get the job done (kinda like a fleet truck with a V-6 motor), but a 250 with 2:1 drive ratio feels "right" to me.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much! This is so much clearer now! I appreciate you all

And its likely that the larger motor will actually provide better fuel economy at any given speed because it's turning slower and not working as hard. My new 2820 with 2x 300s gets better fuel economy than my outgoing 2520 with 1X 300.

I don't hear people talk about this much, but I will tell you that on a 4-stroke motor on a heavy boat that drive ratio makes a big difference.
I actually talk about that a fair amount and why I point out......Suzuki has the lowest gear ratio and swings the Biggest prop.

I have an 2006 (2320) I bought it new with a Yamaha 225 when full of 4 to 6 people engine would work pretty hard. 3 year's ago put a suzuki 300 on it and wow what a difference. I would try and find one with a 250 at least

We have a 2005 2320 that we just repowered. It had a yamaha f250 3.3 liter. It struggled to get on plane with 5 adults, 400 lbs of ice and 65 gallon bait tank. The f250 had a permatrim and was propped with a rev 4 17". It did fine when fishing with 3 guys and 300 lbs of ice. We repowered with a 2020 Suzuki df300, huge improvement in power and better fuel efficiency. Not to mention the beauty of fly by wire controls. We fish northern ca and southern ca. Its a no brainer to repower with a 300. We are running a 3 x 16 x 17 suzuki prop.

Attachments

• 20200916_171952.jpg
    20200916_171952.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
We have a 2005 2320 that we just repowered. It had a yamaha f250 3.3 liter. It struggled to get on plane with 5 adults, 400 lbs of ice and 65 gallon bait tank. The f250 had a permatrim and was propped with a rev 4 17". It did fine when fishing with 3 guys and 300 lbs of ice. We repowered with a 2020 Suzuki df300, huge improvement in power and better fuel efficiency. Not to mention the beauty of fly by wire controls. We fish northern ca and southern ca. Its a no brainer to repower with a 300. We are running a 3 x 16 x 17 suzuki prop.
how much was the repower? what's your mpg with suzuki now?

I can say my suzuki 300 repower cost $26,000 that's with 2 sets of fly by wire controls and the extra wire harness for the second station

FWIW, I am considering repowering my 2002 2320 and recently received to quotes for the Suzuki DF250 with fly by wire controls, installed. They were for $23K and $30K. I asked about the DF300 more than a week ago and no response from either dealer.

The repower was a bit over 23k for the white DF300. The black outboard was $350 cheaper. That price included the install and 1 set of controls. They also tested the boat on the river and made sure the prop i suggested worked. I also had the option to change out the prop. NMPG has increased from 1.6 to about 1.9 fully loaded with 3 guys a full 65 gallon bait tank with 400 lbs of ice. I averaged close to 2 mpg running back on our last tuna with about 800 lbs of bluefin on the deck. That was a 67 mile run back to dana pt. We never considered repowering with a 250 because thats what we had and for a bit more cash the 50 hp was well worth it. We had a permatrim installed on the f250 and we did the same with the DF300. The permatrim helped with porpoising at speeds greater than 25 knots. It no longer porpoises. I am located in the SF bay area and take this boat out in shitty weather without issues.

Attachments

• 20200813_180959.jpg
    20200813_180959.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 20200731_113052.jpg
    20200731_113052.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 76
Capecodparker pm me if you want so I could give you my # if you have any questions. I had mine done cape cod way.

Back