Parker 2320 (225 vs 250 vs 300)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys,

Pelagic, I thought of that but we really use our boat just for fishing day trips with 4-5 guys. Space will be at a premium. I just dont imagine the heater/AC will get used....

Im thinking that $ could also fund the halo 20+ I REALLY want to add.

Anyone who tells you different than a 300 hp has never run a 2320 w/ a 300.
Buddy had a 2320 with 250. It was more than enough power with 4 of us plus gear. Thing ran fast. Plenty of reserve whether in the Chesapeake Bay or coming in/going out offshore.

Thanks guys,

Pelagic, I thought of that but we really use our boat just for fishing day trips with 4-5 guys. Space will be at a premium. I just dont imagine the heater/AC will get used....

Im thinking that $ could also fund the halo 20+ I REALLY want to add.

That's fair. I'd still highly recommend running it for a season or so before deciding to tear it out. I too always thought it was pretty unnecessary... until I was on a buddy's boat that had it during one very hot, muggy, windless chunking trip. That A/C was niiiiiicceeeeee.

For you guys re-powering your older 2320's and hanging 300's on them any issues with insurance? I know the newer 300's are lighter than the older 250's in most cases.

Buddy had a 2320 with 250. It was more than enough power with 4 of us plus gear. Thing ran fast. Plenty of reserve whether in the Chesapeake Bay or coming in/going out offshore.

The newer 250s for both Suzuki & Yamaha are the same block as the 300s, yes there is some difference in performance comparing 250/300 but it’s not significant. Both the Yamaha and Suzuki 250s are strong engines. There is no weight difference between the 250s and the 300s, for psychological reasons :) and resale value combined with the small difference in price between 250 and 300, I think 300 is the no brainer choice but in terms of actual performance the difference between the 250 to 300 horsepower variants is minimal.

The difference in 50 horsepower between a 5 horsepower engine and a 55 horsepower is real and significant. The advertised 50 horsepower difference between a Suzuki or Yamaha 250 to 300 not so much......

Last edited:
If it’s a factory install AC unit I would leave it in the boat. You will use it one day and it will make a difference in resale. Beautiful boat and loaded! Enjoy :)

Coming in the inlet in a outgoing tide......Thats where the extra 50 will shine.
Or a Heavy fowling sea coming in the inlet....Thats where the extra 50 will shine.

Jumping out of the hole with a boat load of Fat fisherman....Thats where the extra 50 will shine.

Do you want to Shine? Damn Right!

Coming in the inlet in a outgoing tide......Thats where the extra 50 will shine.
Or a Heavy fowling sea coming in the inlet....Thats where the extra 50 will shine.

Jumping out of the hole with a boat load of Fat fisherman....Thats where the extra 50 will shine.

Do you want to Shine? Damn Right!

I am taking advice here and I am probably staying away from a very nice and clean 2002 2520 with rear station because it has a 250 on it.

What do you guys do with 400 pounds of ice?

You load it in coolers and transfer it as you fill the empty one with fish.

I use to put one crossways in the V berth....Gets weight forward and helps keep the deck clearer.

While this subject is up.

A FYI: The Suzuki is quieter than the Yamaha.

As far as I‘m concerned , I would take a Honda , Yami, or Zuke . I currently have a Honda and it’s quite and it sips fuel

Problem with Honda is 250Hp is Max they build. Then there is the Tohatsu. It's a Honda painted Blue [Buddy of mine has one] But again....Max is 250Hp.

The problem I see with Honda, at least here in NC, is that there are few to no dealers. Any parts would have to be ordered. Yam dealers are all over, and some Merc. Nearest Zuke dealer I know of is about an hour and a half. Warranty service, if needed, would mean a fairly long tow, and then going back after the service is complete.

The problem I see with Honda, at least here in NC, is that there are few to no dealers. Any parts would have to be ordered. Yam dealers are all over, and some Merc. Nearest Zuke dealer I know of is about an hour and a half. Warranty service, if needed, would mean a fairly long tow, and then going back after the service is complete.
Support for the product is definitely paramount. I have a great small local Honda shop 20 minutes from me that I trust .

Problem with Honda is 250Hp is Max they build. Then there is the Tohatsu. It's a Honda painted Blue [Buddy of mine has one] But again....Max is 250Hp.

I came VERY VERY VERY close to putting a Tohatsu 250 on my Parker 2520 when I repowered. I had a written quote from a dealer with a good reputation for a Tohatsu 250 that was almost $6000 LESS then what I paid for my Suzuk. In the end, the extra 50hp and the pretty white color of the Suzuki got me but I came close. In the process of engine shopping I had a hard time finding anyone to say anything negative about either the Honda or Tohatsu 250. Seems like a very nice engine.....

For you guys re-powering your older 2320's and hanging 300's on them any issues with insurance? I know the newer 300's are lighter than the older 250's in most cases.

Does the USCG capacity sticker say 250 for older 2320's?

I wouldn't be surprised as the 300's didn't get popular until Yamaha's 4.2L debut in 2011. They just weren't making 300's before that for 2320's. I would suspect IF this conversation came up, it would be an easy discussion w/ your insurance broker.

Hi Watergoat, I don't know where you are located in NC. But if close to Belhaven, Radcliffe Marine is a Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury and Honda dealer and I'd highly recommend them for any and all sales and service.
The Honda Marine online site shows a lot of Honda Dealers in NC; it shows 4 in mid-east NC...

Back