Parker 25 DV vs. MV

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattinRI

Reaction score
Is there a significant difference in ride between the Deep V & mid V? Does the Deep V roll a lot more at drift? appreciate your thoughts. I'm looking at the 2510 & will stick with the MV unless the difference in ride is significant.

Matt

Matt - The DV will ride better in a head sea. The MV may be a little bit more stable at rest. I guess your choice will depend on how and where you will use the boat. If you fish mostly near shore the MV will be fine, but you may have to throttle back on rougher days and use the tabs. Everything is a compromise. I would suggest you try to get a ride on the MV, XL and DV. If you want a ride on a DV give me a shout. I am sure others here will be happy to give sea trials on MV or XL's

You’re going to hear it all about this subject and most will tell you that a DV is the only answer, but personal I’ve had 21 degree to 14 degree in to many different boats to care to remember. Ask yourself a few questions about how you will mostly use the boat,
I will only use it offshore,
I’ll use it offshore just 5 to 10 times a year.
I’ll use it inshore most of the time, but may run offshore a few times a year.

Personal I have been in both the DV and the MV and have only noticed a difference if the Captain had no clue how to run a boat. I’ve fish in the back waters with one guy in his DV that beat the chit out of us in a two foot chop and have fished offshore in a few MV’s with guys that ran a 2510 like it was a thirty five footer in wind chop, that’s why I went with the MV.

I can run offshore on any days the DV can and no one complains. Thanks to the great inventions call trim tabs and throttle. If you know how to use them along with speed you can make almost any boat run well. There are a few high points with the MV and the number one with me is it draws a little more than 11 inches, but I had a tape on the bottom one day just to see and it read only 9 inches with three people on board without the hull touching bottom.

Stability is another issue which I liked about the 2510 because I sight cast from a tower for a lot of the types of fishing I enjoy and there is a huge difference between the two in that category.

You have a tuff choice to make, but the type of fishing or boating you do should be the biggest deciding factor in it. The only way to know for sure is to ride in both on the same day in the same condition and make your mind up then. That’s how I did it and I’m pleased with the choice. Goodluck

Brother Coszie has it nailed...

It all depends on how you intend to use the boat, and what your skill or patience level is.

The DV hull is awesome in the steep chop, but it must run faster than the MV to stay on plane, and it requires more horsepower in order to do that. Most MV's will be outfitted with single motors, while most DV's will require twins.

If you don't mind slowing down... the MV can give you a few advantages.
The MV can stay on plane in heavy weather, with proper trim tabs, at 10 kts. It will also also roll much less on the troll, or at drift.

A DV will give a softer ride at speed, while the MV will be less tender at drift or while on the troll.

So... it all depends on what you want. The cool thing with a Parker is... that you can have whatever you want depending on how you want to use the boat, and that is a good thing! :D

fyi, the new 2510's are 16 degree deadrise....

as far as the mv vs the dv, you also need to consider the boating you do. If I was running way offshore (beyond 15-20 miles) on a regular basis I would want to go deep v. However, if I am primarily a near shore (within 15 miles or so of the beach) or bay fisherman, I would probably go mv. The deep v should ride a lot nicer and is almost necessary if you are running out a couple of hours to your fishing grounds on a regular basis. But how much faster are you really going to get to the fishing grounds even if you have to slow down in a mv than a deep v if your grounds are 15-20 miles of the dock. My guess is that anyday you really have to slow down to a crawl in the mv, you are slowing down in the dv as well.

Another condsideration is budget. It takes much deeper pockets to own the dv. First the deep v costs a lot more up front. Secondly, it costs a lot more to run. You probably need twins to power it correctly, it sucks more fuel taking more energy to just get the boat on plane. If money isnt an object than this isnt an issue. If money is an issue than most likely you arent running to the canyons every weekend due to fuel costs anyhow. It takes a lot of cash nowdays in fuel to be an offshore fisherman.

I'll be running between Narragansett Bay, Buzzards Bay & Block Island. A lot of chop in this area. If the MV rolls much less at troll, then its my ticket. I don't mind slowing down a little if necessary. Thanks for the info.

Megabyte and B-Faithful said it all. I have a 2510 MV (14 degree) and just put larger tabs on it to cut the chop. All three of us fish the Chesapeake bay.

If you have deep pockets and not worry about the fuel bill go for the Deep V with twin F250's. To be honest I wish I had the Deep V but I got a descent deal on MV and it didn't take me broke.

Wow Guys...Nice Job! :mrgreen:

On THT this topic has spawned a dozen or more threads.
No one even answers the question when it is posted anymore. They just say "do a search on the topic".

Over here on CP we killed it in one thread with a half-dozen well-crafted posts. :)

Short, sweet and to -the- point. No nonsense. 8)

Who's better equipped to answer this question than the Planet's Premier
Population of Parker People?

Although there's more than a few CP members who have owned and operated both the MV and the DV. Maybe they moved from one to the other in search of a particular characteristic. -They- have got to have the most experience with this.....What say you MV/DV gentlemen?

John

I will have to agree with you on this until I learned how to run my DV it did not matter I would get of feeling like I had been in one heck of a fight. Now that I've had some time at the helm I can take the chop and nobody complains. My only complaint is with the DV you will rock and roll on a drift if there is a chop. Part of my problem is that the 2120 foot isn't as beamy as the 25 so I will lose some stability there.

weight and displacement mean a lot in tollerating a ride. With a 21'er, a deep v is probably the best way to go all around.. my comments were more so directed towards the 25' models.

Just remember on other sites unless you have a boat with 25+ degrees of deadrise at the stern and a minimum of 700 horsepower your boat is no good. Well I guess my boat is no good, but at least I can sit in comfort sipping coffee rather than hanging onto a pipe while running offshore...I am quite content being warm and dry enjoying the ride!

Parker":1sf0scwa said:
Just remember on other sites unless you have a boat with 25+ degrees of deadrise at the stern and a minimum of 700 horsepower your boat is no good.

I think I know that site! :wink:

Matt, I fish the same waters from May into November. I fish a 2510 dv w/ twins. I can not comment on the lesser degree deadrise Parkers as I have never ridden on one. I have "captained" the boat for about 500 hours and this past season I seem to have finally figured out the ride. I also have fished on a 23 Tender, 22 Mako, 33 Hydra, 24 Cobia, 25 Luhrs, none were as stable as the dv Parker. I do not feel any lack of stablity with this boat. She fishes at anchor well and drifts stern to. There are few days that I do not leave the dock because of poor weather.
Honestly, during heavy wind, I'm more concerned about getting back into the slip than the ride ( the bow is difficult to control in this boat and I have yet to figure this out ). I think the permatrims installed help this boat tremendously. Fishing from the Vineyard to the Block you will encounter nasty conditions. Buzzards will kick in the afternoon, the mouths of the Sakonnet and Narraganset can also develop confused chop. If in fact some of the fellow Parkerites have ridden in both models in the same conditions and can say that the dv is a better ride, I would opt for the dv irregardless of the distance you'll be traveling to fish.

Get the DV and be done with it. These boats do not rock much on a drift.

You will regret getting a shallower deadrise boat the first day you hit any chop.

John

OK, 2510WA in the deep V flavor. Are the twin 150s enough power with 4 adults & gear on board. Also, what would be a fair price on a new boat. I realize the DV is more $ & the twin setup adds to the cost as well.

Go for 200's. I saw the new 16 degree 2510 at the boat show this year with a F250 and it was $75,000. I think you will be pushing 100,000 with some electronics. Good luck

I have a 2004 Parker 2520xl. When I purchased the boat only the 16degree deadrise was available. Now that the deep vee is available I would probably still purchase the same model. I'm located in So. Cal. and primarily fish the Santa Monica Bay for Halibut. We drift a good majority of the time and really enjoy the stability. The boat will drift the direction of the wind. Mostly we have onshore wind and we will drift directly bow first toward shore making for a very comfortable ride. Most of the deep v's will go sideways in the trough making it quite unpleasant.
Also fuel prices are becoming a main factor in boat use. The 16 degree xl will allow you to push the boat with a single correlating to less fuel and 1/2 the motor maintenance.
Many have mentioned boat use to be the determining factor and I agree. If I was going to the islands then a deep v would have been a better option.
Currently am waiting to repower to a 300 or more 4 stroke. Suzuki will have df300 by the end of 2006 and hopefully Yamaha will have theres ready early in 2007. Will have a high thrust kicker for power trolling also

Greg

Attachments

• DIANA LEE.JPG
    DIANA LEE.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 7,221
You would think that someone trying to sell a boat would 'clean up' a bit before posting photos. :roll:

Back