Parker 2520 with single 250HP

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amarino

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for my first Parker and have zero experience riding on. There is a 2002 2520 with a single yami 250 not too far from me that I will probably go see over the wknd.Can I hear a few pros and cons on this boat, especially with a single engine . I am concerned that it is underpowered with the single 250 on it.

Thank you

I have a single 250hp Yamaha Ox66 on my 2520DV (w/Bracket). Most of the time, the power is adequate and I have no issues. Sometimes, in a following sea with a big load (i.e. 5 guys on board with gear), I feel it can have additional HP.

When I repower, I'll probably go with a 300hp. Ideally, a 350hp, but I was told by Armstrong that the bracket wasn't "designed" for that torque and they wouldn't endorse it. However, I get the feeling the guy I spoke with thought it would be fine but didn't want liability attached to it. (if I was recording his call).

I have a single 250hp Yamaha Ox66 on my 2520DV (w/Bracket). Most of the time, the power is adequate and I have no issues. Sometimes, in a following sea with a big load (i.e. 5 guys on board with gear), I feel it can have additional HP.

When I repower, I'll probably go with a 300hp. Ideally, a 350hp, but I was told by Armstrong that the bracket wasn't "designed" for that torque and they wouldn't endorse it. However, I get the feeling the guy I spoke with thought it would be fine but didn't want liability attached to it. (if I was recording his call).
thanks for the input

This one is a four stroke and it’s hanging on the transom, no bracket

Hi all, looking for my first Parker and have zero experience riding on. There is a 2002 2520 with a single yami 250 not too far from me that I will probably go see over the wknd.Can I hear a few pros and cons on this boat, especially with a single engine . I am concerned that it is underpowered with the single 250 on it.

Thank you
Is it the 2520 XLD (deep-V)? If not, then most folks here say a 250 is fine. If the XLD/deeper-V then it will do better with a 300. I have a 2520 XLD with a 300 and it is fine for our use, but we can tell a big difference when there are 4+ people and extra gear on board. Weight is an important factor with any non-displacement hull.... If the boat is good in other respects, buy it, use it and enjoy it. Go to a 300 when it's time to replace the 250.

Last edited:
Is it the 2520 XLD (deep-V)? If not, then most folks here say a 250 is fine. If the XLD/deeper-V then it will do better with a 300. I have a 2520 XLD with a 300 and it is fine for our use, but we can tell a big difference when there are 4+ people and extras gear on board. Weight is an important factor with any non-displacement hull.... If the boat is good in other respects, buy it, use it and enjoy it. Go to a 300 when it's time to replace the 250.
Thank you much, I am waiting to hear back from the owner if it’s a DV or MV
my thinking is if it’s a single it’s probably a MV but I could be wrong
btw... if all things check out good with this boat what a fair price in your opinion?
thanks again

btw... if all things check out good with this boat what a fair price in your opinion?
thanks again
I would like to be able to help with advice on pricing, but there is not yet enough information. And without seeing the boat 'in person', a survey and/or a sea-trial it would just be a guess on my part. Once you've seen the boat this weekend, post a lot of photos here on CP; also post the asking price and other pertinent information and I'm sure many others with similar boats will offer advice.

I would like to be able to help with advice on pricing, but there is not yet enough information. And without seeing the boat 'in person', a survey and/or a sea-trial it would just be a guess on my part. Once you've seen the boat this weekend, post a lot of photos here on CP; also post the asking price and other pertinent information and I'm sure many others with similar boats will offer advice.
Understood and sounds good

It will do OK.....But they Love 300Hp.

I have a 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX on my 2520 MV, no bracket. I have two seasons with the Suzuki, just shy of 400 hours. I put 1900ish on with my previous engine 2005 Yamaha F225. The boat was underpowered with the 225 and showed itself on many different occasions when loaded heavy.

The Suzuki DF300APXX is an entirely different matter. Never lacking for power. Very little if any noticeable impact on performance with weight changes.

Sorry if I sound like a fan boy, but as far as I am concerned it is the perfect power selection for my boat.....

thanks again

Impossible to evaluate the value of a 2002 Parker 2520 without seeing the condition of the boat, engine , electronics etc. Could be in great shape or a train wreck. Aside from the engine, another major area of attention on a boat of that age is the fuel tank. At 18 years of age, the fuel tank in that boat could still be OK but you are absolutely in the zone of concern. Unfortunately the aluminum does tend to corrode over the years. Even if the tank is OK, at that age both fill and vent hoses are well into the age they can be expected to have issue. The gasket at the sending unit is also an area of concern.

Filling the tank with fuel till it vents and then removing the tank inspection plates and getting on your hands and knees and sniffing for gasoline fumes doesn’t prove that you do not have an impending fuel issue if you don’t smell fumes but if you do smell strong fuel vapor, you can assume that fuel is leaking somewhere in the fuel system and needs attention. Replacing hoses and gaskets isn’t a huge expense. Replacing the tank is a much bigger deal, unless you do all the work yourself, the job will cost in the vicinity of $6000.

Not saying not to buy a 2002, could be a great boat with many years of service ahead. Fuel tank issues are fixable, just figured I’d toss that info out there in case you were not aware of potential fuel tank issues with a boat of that age.

Best of luck.......

Impossible to evaluate the value of a 2002 Parker 2520 without seeing the condition of the boat, engine , electronics etc. Could be in great shape or a train wreck. Aside from the engine, another major area of attention on a boat of that age is the fuel tank. At 18 years of age, the fuel tank in that boat could still be OK but you are absolutely in the zone of concern. Unfortunately the aluminum does tend to corrode over the years. Even if the tank is OK, at that age both fill and vent hoses are well into the age they can be expected to have issue. The gasket at the sending unit is also an area of concern.

Filling the tank with fuel till it vents and then removing the tank inspection plates and getting on your hands and knees and sniffing for gasoline fumes doesn’t prove that you do not have an impending fuel issue if you don’t smell fumes but if you do smell strong fuel vapor, you can assume that fuel is leaking somewhere in the fuel system and needs attention. Replacing hoses and gaskets isn’t a huge expense. Replacing the tank is a much bigger deal, unless you do all the work yourself, the job will cost in the vicinity of $6000.

Not saying not to buy a 2002, could be a great boat with many years of service ahead. Fuel tank issues are fixable, just figured I’d toss that info out there in case you were not aware of potential fuel tank issues with a boat of that age.

Best of luck.......
What he said. I bought a 2120 SC three years ago. I had to replace the tank last year. No noticeable leak. The tank was corroded inside and corrosion particulate was clogging the fuel system. I’m not saying your boat has a fuel tank problem, but I can’t say it doesn’t.

Best of luck.......
I understand completely but that’s why I originally stated if all checks out ok with the boat. I was just trying to get a ballpark . BTW, I did not know it cost that much $$$ to replace the fuel tank , That’s a lot of money
thanks

What he said. I bought a 2120 SC three years ago. I had to replace the tank last year. No noticeable leak. The tank was corroded inside and corrosion particulate was clogging the fuel system. I’m not saying your boat has a fuel tank problem, but I can’t say it doesn’t.

Did you do the work yourself?

Your talking a 19 year old boat.no matter how well maintained your going to have to replace things eventually. And that could be very pricey. A 300hp engine new will run you a good $28k and up. If that fuel tank needs replacing like stated $6000. Sometimes getting a good deal isn’t as good as it seems.
Don’t get me wrong they make a great boat but like anything else they don’t last forever & need upgrades.

I wouldn't touch it unless the seller shows you a receipt for a fuel tank replacement. She's at the end of her useable life ( the fuel tank, not the Parker).

Amarino, I ran a 2008 2520 SLD with a 250 Yamaha four stroke for 4 years. This model is a Deep Vee hull with the engine mounted on the transom. The power was fine for our needs here in So Cal running to the local islands and off shore chasing fish. We typically always had 3 to 4 guys on board with dive gear, coolers, ice, etc so the boat was heavy. A Permatrim on the cavitation plate definitely helped with performance and fuel economy. Good luck with your boat search. Cheers, Kadman

I had that exact set up for 15 years. 3200 hrs. It was for lack of a better word adequate. Just re-powered with a 300. Gained three nights at Cruise. 250 cruise speed fully loaded 18 or so F IYI sold the 250 4stroke with 3200 hours still running perfect

Did you do the work yourself?
No. Cutting the deck was a harrowing process for my tech. He checked with Parker before cutting and learned a lot from the factory regarding bulkheads and other sensitive areas. The tank was then made up in a different shop and sent to my tech. Once installed, we had to replace the floor with new wood that was then fiberglassed and textured over to match the finish on the rest of the cockpit. Not something I would want to mess with.

No. Cutting the deck was a harrowing process for my tech. He checked with Parker before cutting and learned a lot from the factory regarding bulkheads and other sensitive areas. The tank was then made up in a different shop and sent to my tech. Once installed, we had to replace the floor with new wood that was then fiberglassed and textured over to match the finish on the rest of the cockpit. Not something I would want to mess with.
How much did it cost? I am getting my
2110 done this winter and repowering.

Back