Parker 2520 XLD repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothership

Reaction score
Hi-
I own a 2008 Parker 2520 XLD in need of a repower. Outboards are scarce right now but after a lot of searching, I have a line on a new 2022 Suzuki df300apx. I will be removing a 2008 Yamaha 350. Boat has a bracket and it's a deep V. Question is performance numbers with the 300 as opposed to 350. Will the boat lag? I don't need a rocket but looking for at least decent/good power. The 350 seemed like plenty/more than enough power I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on the forum before. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Hi-
I own a 2008 Parker 2520 XLD in need of a repower. Outboards are scarce right now but after a lot of searching, I have a line on a new 2022 Suzuki df300apx. I will be removing a 2008 Yamaha 350. Boat has a bracket and it's a deep V. Question is performance numbers with the 300 as opposed to 350. Will the boat lag? I don't need a rocket but looking for at least decent/good power. The 350 seemed like plenty/more than enough power I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on the forum before. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I’ve have a 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX on my transom mount Parker 2520XL now with 628 hours and it does a nice job and was a noticeable improvement from the previous engine a Yamaha F225. I get a 35ish knot top speed and the boat pops up on plane nicely. My boat is always loaded heavy.

That being said I moved from a tired F225 to a brand new Suzuki DF300APXX and my hull is the mod-v. I can’t help but think with your deep-v and having been running around with a 350hp V-8, you will lose some performance. What that is I can’t say but the change will not only result in 50 less horsepower, you’re also going to lose torque and IMO that will be more noticeable then just the horsepower.

I am absolutely NOT knocking the Suzuki DF300APXX. Mine has served me very well so far but I moved up in both horsepower and torque, you’ll be moving down in both categories and I do think there will be a noticeable difference particularly when it’s relatively calm and you’re able to put the spurs to that F350.

I’ve never seen a Parker 25 with a Yamaha F350 on it and am curious to see how it looks, can you post some pictures????

Yes I'll take a few pics and post. Also wondering about shaft length. The Yamaha on the boat now is a 30 inch shaft. The Suzuki I found is a 25 inch shaft. The Yamaha is mounted with a 2 inch gap between the outboard bracket mount and the outboard itself. It looks to me like the 30 inch shaft is a little long, and the 25 is probably a little short. Calling Parker would be my next move but the call center wants to refer me to a dealer.

Any input from 2520 owners would be appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6639.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6639.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 57
  • thumbnail_IMG_6637.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6637.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 54
Yes I'll take a few pics and post. Also wondering about shaft length. The Yamaha on the boat now is a 30 inch shaft. The Suzuki I found is a 25 inch shaft. The Yamaha is mounted with a 2 inch gap between the outboard bracket mount and the outboard itself. It looks to me like the 30 inch shaft is a little long, and the 25 is probably a little short. Calling Parker would be my next move but the call center wants to refer me to a dealer.

Any input from 2520 owners would be appreciated.

I was under the impression that Parker 2520s with the bracket ran 25” legs and only transom mounts required the 30”.

My boat is a transom mount and I run a 30” leg. I have several friends with brackets on their 2520s and they all run 25” legs.

I have a transom mount Zuke DF300 that's a 25" lower.

Tim,

That’s interesting, how’s that 25” work out in a turn or in a following sea?

On my boat when I went from the Yamaha F225 (30”) to the Suzuki DF300APXX (30”) the only performance issue that was not noticeably better with the new Suzuki was the occasional propeller cavitation in turns and in a following sea that the Yamaha didn’t do. That’s probably as much a propeller issue then with the engine itself but it happens easier with the Suzuki then it did with the Yamaha.

I’d think with a 25” it would be worse (at least on my boat).

It does start to "blow out" in sharp turns if I don't throttle back. My hull is a 1999 MV, at some point shortly thereafter, Parker started making changes to the transom cut out depth. I have a buddy with a 2001 MV transom mount 300 Yam and he has a 30" lower. Never had a problem in a following sea.

It does start to "blow out" in sharp turns if I don't throttle back. My hull is a 1999 MV, at some point shortly thereafter, Parker started making changes to the transom cut out depth. I have a buddy with a 2001 MV transom mount 300 Yam and he has a 30" lower. Never had a problem in a following sea.

That explains it…..(y)

I was told my Armstrong that they had concerns with the bracket not being able to handle the torque of the 350hp Yamaha. Personally, I think that’s the best power for a 2520DV hull.

The Yamaha F300 is a dog on the 2520XLD so I don't hold out much hope for the Zuke. You're dropping power, torque, two cylinders and prop diameter vs, what you have now. I suspect you'll be disappointed with anything more than just a captain and 1/2 tank of fuel. And it'll be really bad in a following sea with not being able to keep the boat up and out of the trough.

Hi-
Have you considered repowering with a newer Yamaha 350? I know they stopped making them but there are newer generation 350s out there for sale. Wondering how you liked that engine in general on your 2520?

I own a 2006 2520 XL Modified V....repowered with a 2021 Yamaha 300 hp.....cruise at 25 plus with three adults and a full load of offshore gear, top end 30 plus.... Great fuel economy

I have the single 300 yamaha on a 2025 xld and propped down it does the job well as long as the boat is not heavily loaded in the stern. My choice , if I were to repower would be the 350 suzi dual prop. The gear ratio on all the rest are to high to swing enough prop for the 2520 xld.

Back