Parker 2830 Extended cabin updates:

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydngoose

Reaction score
Good morning all. I wanted to document the transformation of this unique vessel into a fine tuned fishing machine. Here is the day I bought her. She is a 2002 Parker 2830 EC (extended cabin) with 2003 Yamaha f225 four stroke motors. She is bottom painted and not trailered. She will be shipped in 14 days from the sellers marina to her new home in Jacksonville, Florida where she'll receive 21st century updating : multifunction displays, sonar (traditional, CHIRP and down vision), radar, autopilot, transom underwater lights. Some pics:

Good for You..... She's a Big Girl. :)

Thing's that I would look at. Dump Raymarine.

Pick a more user friendly manufacture. Garmin or Simrad.

The Radar mast...... Dump that for a all Polished stainless unit.... Why? because the stainless bolts have caused the powdercoating to flake and peel on the alum,
as you can see what's happening now. It just looks bad and repainting is a waste of time, as it will be peeling again in a year.

Your VHF antenna mounts.... Who ever installed them didn't know about the wedges that are available.

http://www.boatersland.com/sha414.html

sha414.jpg

These will shim the mount and make the antenna be straight... It's a little thing, but adds....or takes away from the boats looks.

Looking at the helm..... For me.....I'd try and figure out a pod to mount the gauges in, so the MFD can be flush mounted in front of you.

Warthog: thanks for your tips: your thoughts are 100% inline with the plan. Definetly going to shim the antennas. Thanks for the link.

For the helm, as big as this girl is, there is very limited real estate to mount electronics.

My goals are a.) functionality b.) longevity c.) user friendly d.) ergonomics

With that said, I'm removing all the gauges, switches at the helm and going to mount a flush closed cell acrylic 3/8 inch thick faceplate to start off fresh (similar to starboard but better): I will order the sea foam color to match the Parker gelcoat interior color.
Electronics: Flush mounted Garmin 5212 for radar screen and bottom descrimination/ sonar (transducer and black box to be determined), Garmin 741xs for mapping, Garmin xHD 24 radome, Furuno FCV 588 with 1KW transducer (to be determined which ducer).
The 741xs will be bracketed at top of helm toward the midline of ship on horizontal surface. The FCV588 will be bracket mounted on top of helm horizontal surface where forward and starboard side windows meet (at the vertical support of the main cabin).
Autopilot: Garmin GHC10 or 20 also flush mounted at the helm
Sound? you guys still like Fusion? I had that head unit on my last Parker and the results were awesome.

Certainly open to criticism and ideas. Here's what I'm working with for space:

Do you wear glasses, especially prescription glasses with progressive lenses?
If so, when you lay out your helm, keep in mind those things you need to view through the bottom of your lenses.
Placing electronics above your center sightline will cause you to have to crank your head back to be able to view those items through the bottom of your lenses.
Just something to consider.

Attachments

• Image-0B0288F859B911DC.jpg
    Image-0B0288F859B911DC.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,723
MB: thanks for the insight: I do not wear glasses, only polarized sunglasses while fishing..easily removed if the screen is distorted. The Garmin 5212 will be flush mounted like your main plotter is. The Garmin 741xs will be mounted where your Furuno is and my Furuno will be mounted just to starboard side of where your compass is mounted with equal/ symmetrical distance between the two top mounted units.

Warthog: is there any OTHER bolt material or washers that I can use between the bolt and metal radar mount that I can use to keep the powder coated finish (which I can have recoated) and not have the corrosion represent? I like the white appearance over stainless. Also, the stainless cost is about $350 (all for cosmetic purposes)… Any materials I should look at to mitigate the dissimilar metal corrosion?

For the helm, as big as this girl is, there is very limited real estate to mount electronics

Yes I saw that..... Key switches would get moved down too.

Now back to your electronic's..... Your looking at doubling up..... A 588 Furuno , but then you talk about Black box for the Garmin.

OK here is my input.... I like the Furuno.....But forget it. Go Garmin GSD26 Black box. It's CHIRP and "IF" you want to spend BIG bucks, you can go all the way
to 3000watts. A 3000watt X-ducer ain't cheap.

A pair of 1000watt tilted element X-ducers would be real tempting.

You would use a

Look at this http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... tation.pdf

Look at the SS270W tilted element pair wiring. That's how it would be setup..... But not those X-ducers.

You will want something like a B-175H & B-175L

http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=46

http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=66

If you have another Sonar that operates at the same freq and running it at the same time, it will cause interferance on both units.

I've seen the once on my Mako and being real close to another boat that was shooting the same freq.

tomysel":85rhtjfw said:
Very nice boat!

Thanks buddy. She actually lived her first 14 years of life just down the way from you in East Rockaway, Long Island. She'll retire in Jacksonville Florida. No more winter lay ups for this old girl!

Wart: thanks for the information you have provided: I will be leaning on you over then next 6 weeks for guidance as I know you've been through this updating on your Parker and several classic make's.

As always, I am grateful for the comments and suggestions.

Syndgoose, I really love your new 2830. As you probably know, I appreciate the overnight capability of our PH Parker's and yours certainly takes the cake for that. Good for you for tracking this rare boat down and following your gut to go big on your new boat. I will enjoy watching these projects.
Subscribed :D

shawnee83":3awc3vsf said:
Syndgoose, I really love your new 2830. As you probably know, I appreciate the overnight capability of our PH Parker's and yours certainly takes the cake for that. Good for you for tracking this rare boat down and following your gut to go big on your new boat. I will enjoy watching these projects.
Subscribed :D

Thanks pal: I don't know if you remember this, but I considered repowering my previous Parker, the 2120 w/ a F225 like you have. You sent me some performance and profile pics of your scuppers…but by the time I repowered, etc… I'd still have limited cockpit space for 6 packing or overnighting w/ friends/ family. Yes, I am thrilled to be in this one of a kind vessel. Thank you for your kind words. She can't get here fast enough from her previously loved home.

Does that trailer sit higher than norm, or are you going to have height clearance problems with the RV Shelter?

Mine is 13ft @ the wall's and 14ft in the middle...... Only 12ft wide, due to property line set backs. Would have liked 18ft wide.

It's 40ft long.

warthog5":20q0dj6t said:
Does that trailer sit higher than norm, or are you going to have height clearance problems with the RV Shelter?

Mine is 13ft @ the wall's and 14ft in the middle...... Only 12ft wide, due to property line set backs. Would have liked 18ft wide.

It's 40ft long.

Wart,
Its a paradigm perspective from the angle of the image. I had the barn built 20X40 with 14' 6" low overhead clearance specifically for my last offshore boat and the next one after that. Actually, when I was designing the barn, I knew this was not our forever home. So, the next buyer may want the barn for something different than a boat, like an RV (as you mentioned). So, I built the low overhead clearence tall enough to accommodate an RV w/ an A/C unit or two…. as to value add to the property rather than value diminish.

While under way from NY as she sits on that trailer, she is 12 feet, 4 inches tall. The Parker was brought home last night from NY on a custom 42 foot steel trailer with (3) 7,000 pound axles. Sunday, the same shipper is going to tow it to the marina where my Yamaha tech is located. He will completely service both f225 motors including: Oil filter, oil change, fuel filters, thermostats, zincs, water pumps, impellas, spark plugs, timing belts, check valve clearance, exhaust corrosion scoping.
Once the service is done, they'll place her in the water, then on Tuesday this week, Ill run her on the st. johns river to a boat lift under a boathouse for the next 3-4 weeks where I'll be doing some updating. Once all the electronics are installed, thru hulls replaced and a various other small projects, I'll motor her to the Florida Yacht Club where she'll be wet slipped long term.

So, long answer to a short question…

The barn houses other toys: a pair of 13 foot whaler's, lawn equipment, Polaris Ranger, various other toys, boats and projects… It's my man space :)

Boat is looking good. This may already be on your mechanicle list but I would consider going ahead and doing the VST filters. Adding that to your stated list should put you in a complete good to go piece of mind on the motors.

10/4 captain! You are correct and will add to the "to do" list... Motors should be ready to rock n roll after that service.
After shaking her down and running her, dialing her in for a year or so, I plan to repower w a pair of Suzuki DF300's !

Back