Parker 2830 Extended cabin updates:

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sydngoose":2d8uep50 said:
KFDiver: that cabin top looks super! A couple questions:
A.) what ratio would you consider for acetone to gelcoat? 5-10%?
B.) what did you use for a nonskid additive to the gelcoat? Or is that just the naps' finish w peaks and valleys? I like it. 1 coat or 2?

So I don't spend much time on the roof and went with a non skid rustolem particles. First I made a quart size shaker to disperse the particles evenly. Then I rolled the first layer of gel coat down a very thin coat. Then sprinkled the particles even over the entire surface. I wanted the gelcoat to set up with the particles sticking to it before I rolled over the top. Once the gelcoat started setting up I rolled to layers of gel coat over the entire top in one shot waited for it to become tacky and pull the tap. Then I spray Pva over the entire surface. The acetone is very strong for the gelcoat and thins easy doesn't need much but it does evaporate so it will get thick again if not applied quicky I don't know the percentage I use but I don't think I thinned it on this application. I only thin it when I spray the gelcoat through a hlvp sprayer.

kidfreediver":1myadxaz said:
sydngoose":1myadxaz said:
KFDiver: that cabin top looks super! A couple questions:
A.) what ratio would you consider for acetone to gelcoat? 5-10%?
B.) what did you use for a nonskid additive to the gelcoat? Or is that just the naps' finish w peaks and valleys? I like it. 1 coat or 2?

So I don't spend much time on the roof and went with a non skid rustolem particles. First I made a quart size shaker to disperse the particles evenly. Then I rolled the first layer of gel coat down a very thin coat. Then sprinkled the particles even over the entire surface. I wanted the gelcoat to set up with the particles sticking to it before I rolled over the top. Once the gelcoat started setting up I rolled to layers of gel coat over the entire top in one shot waited for it to become tacky and pull the tap. Then I spray Pva over the entire surface. The acetone is very strong for the gelcoat and thins easy doesn't need much but it does evaporate so it will get thick again if not applied quicky I don't know the percentage I use but I don't think I thinned it on this application. I only thin it when I spray the gelcoat through a hlvp sprayer.

Thanks for this information. I 'll thin to 5%. Again, great job on your nonskid project, sir.

I've never liked the black bolsters in the cockpit: they look too industrial/ commercial to me. I am removing the bolsters later today to have them recovered: conflicted between oyster white sunbrella vs. "linen" which is like a light tan. Consider the entire interior's cushion color is oyster white. Should I

a.) Keep with the pattern on the boat: go oyster white OR
b.) go w/ the tan for a finer polished appearance ? I feel like this color change may look awkward in regard to the rest of the upholstery on the boat due to the stark contrast.

While I am having the bolsters re-upholstered, I am also having two other upholstery projects fab'ed up as well

1.) a large cushion to span the cabin galley table as it drops down to create a large couch for my wife and kids. This cushion will sit on top of the tabletop which drops down to a lip that spans both galley seats. When the table is up, the cushion will be stored in the head compartment where it will mount to the inside port wall in the head compartment.

2.) forward main cabin window screen for when she is in her slip: this will span on the outside of the main cabin forward windows to keep sunlight from entering the cabin: my bow points E/NE and that morning sun beams into the cabin. This snap on window canvas will protect the electronics and keep the cabin cooler while at rest.

Both of these projects will be completed in "oyster white" Sunbrella. But what about the coaming bolster colors? OPIONS PLEASE?

The window covers are your answer. If you think the window covers should be in Oysrer then that's what the pads should be. I'm assuming Oyster matches the gel coat better? Anyway, the one that matches the gel coat or looks better against the gel coat, is the one I would use for the bolsters. Matching the gel and matching the interior cushions is the way to go. IMO.

I wouldn't have said anything but I do agree that I found the black bolsters not ideal. I can appreciate the functionality of them though. I assumed someone did it as they wouldn't show stains or wear as much?

Man, you are doing another project here that I'm looking forward to seeing. As I have mentioned, I overnight on mine a decent amount and I have considered a way to add window covering and thought about doing it on the outside as well? Looking forward to seeing how that turns out. The bolsters for me less important. I think that a tell as to my fishing capabilities or commitment? Lol.

I agree, Shawnee... Going to have the same color scheme throughout: oyster white. Thanks for your input.
I will post pics once the pieces are complete.
I ordered another quart of interior Parker white gelcoat w wax to redo the cockpit nonskid... So that'll be a nice update when I get the quart from Parker.
Also, I've got my aluminum fabricator working on a very special treat to accommodate more fishing needs.
He is fabbing me a combination rocket launcher/ rod holders (6) w integrated cup holders (5) to flush mount on my inside transom cap surface.
I'm a week away from receiving that piece, but once again, I'll post pics when it's complete and installed.
The rocket launcher/ cup holders will mount here:

The drop curtains on my boat are Sunbrella 'linen'.

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 224
The cockpit bolsters have been recovered, but are still in the same factory appearing vinyl in an off white color.

When I bought this boat (a 1996 model) the factory was using teal fabric.
In the 00's, they were using a dark blue.

I had original looked at Oyster when I replaced the drop curtains, but decided to go with Linen.
Here she is with the factory fabric and the vinyl windows (which I eliminated).

Attachments

• Image-F72DCB4C8B5311D8.jpg
    Image-F72DCB4C8B5311D8.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 211
what was parker thinking? That teal is hideous…

Well fellas.. All my plans, projects, updates on the 2830 have to come to a screeching halt at this moment… We were SUPPOSE to have a scheduled C-section on November 2…but, my wife's water just broke. Baby Anna Grace will be arriving today at 8pm: C-section… will post pic after her debut ! ….

sydngoose":2fhh728x said:
what was parker thinking? That teal is hideous…

Yes, but it was popular with all of the manufacturers 20 years ago. :)

Good luck with the little one !!!

Back