Parker advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Matt

Reaction score
I'm meeting my dealer at the Providence show tomorrow to speak with him about a new 2510XLD. My dealer offered to broker my current 2004 23SE for me and if it sells I wil move up to the new boat. How can I find a book value for my boat? It's loaded with only 207 hours.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, any input on the 2510XLD? My dealer recommended either a F250 or twins F150's. I feel in love with bft fishing the last two years and I spend a majority of my time east of Chatham. The only down side is I trailer my boat to where the action is and the 2510 will require over the road permits.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for any advice.

Matt

I think that 2510 XLD would be fine with either the single F250 or the twin 150's.....I feel totally comfortable going offshore with a single and a kicker. As I'm sure you are aware there will be many opinions. As I'm doing some engine maint right now I'm again reminded why I like the single. If money is no issue the twins would be hard to beat. The extra power of the twins... especially the 200's or 225's would be comforting if you have sloppy and rough inlets to get through.... (The only time I felt uncomfortable with lack of power was in an inlet with a following sea.... and actually since I've changed the prop I get better performance in those situations)

A comment or two about trailering: I trailer all the time and in my area it seems to be acceptable to trailer the 9'6" beamed boats with no problems. For better or worse I do not have permits. I purchased the boat in Fla and towed it home two years ago up the East Coast with no hassle. I would explore what is considered the "standard operating procedure" in your area.

I 'm fantasizing about getting offshore...... :D

Richard

Matt,

"Book value", if you mean NADA, BUC, or one of the other rating services is over-rated, and do not do a good job in showing value, especially for popular brands like Parkers.

Your best bet is to do a search for "comps", much as real estate folks do. Search BoatTrader, YachtWorld, SaltyDog, TidalFish, ClassicParker, and any other place where Parkers are popular. That will give you an idea of what a particular model is going for.

As for power on the 2510XLD, I can't help there... but from what I've read online, both the single F250 and twin F150's are great setups. It all depends on your preference for singles or twins (which is a whole 'nuther subject all-together).

As for the overwide issue... Some people go by the letter of the law, and some do not.
FWIW... I don't know of anyone trailering a 25 Parker who has ever been cited for being 'overwide', so take that for what it is worth.
I would be more concerned with having enough truck to pull her. :D

I don't know of anyone trailering a 25 Parker who has ever been cited for being 'overwide' ...
FYI to all ...

It's not a question of being CITED or not ... it's a question of whether or not you will have any and all insurance claims and/or coverage DENIED because your rig may or may not have been overwide, with or without a permit, and whether or not you are found at fault or it's a 50-50 at fault.

My biggest FEAR would be the insurance companies :shock: and not the cops!

Dale,

You stole the words right out of my mouth. The reason I get permits is not to avoid a citation, it is to avoid exposing myself to a law suit should I ever get into an accident. Not to say that a permit will insulate you from the suit, but the lack of permits could play against you with the jury.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...my client is cripled for life because the defendent was towing an overwide load in an illegal manner....yada, yada, yada..."

Of all the things to look at, NADA is the worst. NADA valued my old 1985 20' Grady at something like $9000. I sold it for $15,000.

BUC isn't too bad, but as Megabyte mentions above, comps on the various sites such as Yachtworld and Boattrader are your best bet.

That Megabyte dude seems to know what he's talking about. He must be from Maryland! :D

gw204":otmehkr9 said:
...That Megabyte dude seems to know what he's talking about. He must be from Maryland! :D

He doesn't do too bad for spending his life puting out fires associated with bombs full of bugs and gasses. :shock: :shock: :shock: The nurons still seem to be firing. :D :D :D

before moving to the 28, I owned a 1997 2510 DV with twin 150's. more than enough power. my buddy runs a 2520 DV with a 250. Very adequate imho. Depends on whether you need twins for peace of mind running out.

Megabyte is correct about the towing capacity needed in your truck. But, I am more concerned with the ability to stop than to go. Once a heavy load is in motion, you want to be able to stop reasonably.

It's been my experience that the book value for used Parkers is considerably less than what they actually sell for. I would and have checked around on line Boattrader, Yachtworld, Boats.com ect. That's what I'd base my asking price on. I have also found that dealers generally don't give you a fair price on a trade in. The last new Parker I bought, I was offered 38K for my trade in BUT the dealer wouldn't budge off the sticker price w/trade in. So, He was really giving me 28K for my trade in and adding 10K to the price of new boat. I sold privatly for 36K and bought new boat for 60K as opposed to sticker price of 70K. The dealer also agreed to let me find my own buyer, sign the boat over to dealer, let the buyer buy the boat(on paper) from the dealer and give me my agreed on price for old boat as trade in price. That way I only had to pay sales tax on difference between my trade and new boat ($24000) instead of sales tax on 60K. You might see if dealer would let you do what I did instead of paying a brokerage fee and sales tax on full price of new boat. I found my boat was easy to sell and well worth the effort for the $$ I saved.

Matt, did you go any further with the 25?

You bought your boat around the same time as I bought my McKee, as I recall.

It's real tempting to move up, eh?

Your correct gf. We were both shopping around the same time.

I spent some time throwing around figures with the salesman but the numbers didn't work out the way I was hoping. I walked away from the table once and the salesman followed me and the price dropped another 4K after his first "best price." So that goes to show you the cushion in the pricing. I'll wait another couple years and reevaluate my situation.

Back