Parker Fuel Shut-Off Valves

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puny trim tabs, and no fuel shut-off valves were the only gripes I've had about my 2510. The fuel shut-off valve problem was easy to fix in a couple of hours.

I ended up overcoming the puny tabs by placing Cobra Marine trim plates on each of my F115s. The plates are solid SS, and bolt to the bottom of the anti-ventilation plate of the motor. They are stronger than the hydrofoils that bolt to the top or the ends of the plates (which end up causing the plates to crack and break). With the addition of the plates, the trim tabs are much more sensitive.

Parker should have put larger trim tabs on the 25' hull. Have told them so several times, but I don't think they listen to me very much.

Porkchunker,

What did you use for a fuel shut-off valve? I was thinking of mounting one of these at the fuel/water seperator:

260670_d.jpg

Do you guys think that would work, any fuel flow problems with a valve like that?

-- Tom

I don't get the need for a fuel shut-off valve? Why :?: ? Not required by ABYC standards and I doubt any boat mfg'r outside of Cabo installs them.

I don't believe my boat (1999) has an anti-siphon valve installed. Or if it does, its not working too well, as I had a couple of gallons of gasoline spill into my bilge (caught most of it in buckets) when replacing a fuel/water seperator filter last fall.

I can't tell by looking at the fuel tank end if there is an anti-siphon valve installed, and the access is awkward enough that I can't get any of my tools in there easily enough to remove it and find out, without a high probability risk of screwing something up and ending up with a much larger problem on my hands.

So my band-aid approach to the problem was to install the combo shut-off/anti-siphon valve right at the fuel/water separator.

-- Tom

Oh... I have a factory installed shutoff valve, though I didn't realize it until last year.
Take a look at the photo below. See that valve under the bilge pump exhaust hoses? That is the selector valve for my three fuel tanks.

Image-8D45CB8F8E9711D9.jpg

I was on my way out of my creek one day to do a little fishing and knew that I was getting low on fuel in the Port tank... While I was on plane, the motor died... Drat! Out of fuel!

So I run back and twist the fuel selector valve to the center and try to get the motor started... No dice, and I'm in a busy channel with boating traffic all around. :cry:

One hour later, I figure I've done some damage to the motor and I'm almost convinced it was going to cost me the price of a new motor...

Good thing I had tow insurance...

Image-D10EE390AD2411D8.jpg

Get the boat back in her slip... have it hauled the next day and transported to the dealer (on his trailer), only to be called 2 days later telling me to come pick her up. :shock:

What I learned that day is it's not a 3-way gas selector valve... it's a 4-way valve. Port tank, Main tank, Stbd tank... and Off.

It only cost me about $300 to learn that lesson. :cry:
Moral: Don't be in a big hurry when twisting the selector valve. If you get the handle 180 degrees out from the position of the Main tank, you've just turned the fuel off.

Interesting that this "reply" to the trim tab thread started by B-Faithful, ended up being a thread all by itself. Either I screwed up big-time, or there is a glitch in the new board SW.

LOL.. I think Dale moved it to a seperate topic so that we didn't hijack your other thread :)

-- Tom

TomS":chthpixl said:
Porkchunker,

What did you use for a fuel shut-off valve? I was thinking of mounting one of these at the fuel/water seperator:

260670_d.jpg

Do you guys think that would work, any fuel flow problems with a valve like that?

-- Tom

I finally got some pics of what I did, and created a thread in the Projects forum. Here is the link to it: http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=487

Tom S, I'd be very surprised if you didn't have an anti-siphon valve unless somebody removed it. Mine is right under the inspection plate for accesing gas tank. Built into the 90 degree fitting threaded into my tank where the fuel line is attached.

Back