parker fuel tanks

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyo

Reaction score
hey guys,
I'm looking at buying a fairly new 1801. What kind of fuel tank do they have? Aluminum, fiberglass? Just a little concerned with the E-10 issues

Aluminum, very thick. As professionally installed as any other boat on the market. No worries with E10, for the tank anyway.

on this subject, has anyone ever put extra fuel tanks on board a parker? i need about 30-50 more gallons as a reserve. we were thinking about mounting poly tanks under the gunnels, but i dont want to give up the storage space. anyone do anything along those (or any) lines? :?

pelagic2530":rjd70uwq said:
on this subject, has anyone ever put extra fuel tanks
on board a parker? i need about 30-50 more gallons as a reserve.

I have a 1996 Parker 2520 MVSC with a total of 3 factory installed tanks, 2 of which I don't use. I filled all 3 tanks when I first bought her to get my line for bottom paint, but that extra 600+ pounds of weight is a lot to haul around all day, and truthfully... I don't need that sort of range. :shock:

The dealer who originally ordered the boat was in Delaware near IRI, so I'm sure my boat was ordered the way it was to go offshore. My present dealer (Tri-State Marine) tells me they have never seen a 2520 with three tanks before.

The main fuel tank is a 127 gal capacity, and both the port and starboard tanks are 47 gallons each.
If I ever have the occasion to have to open up my deck for maintenance, my plan is to remove both wing tanks and save even more weight.

So to answer your question... yes, you get an additional 47 gallons of capacity (x2) directly from the factory if you wish.

Hope this helps.

When I replaced my factory fuel filters/water separators, I installed a shutoff valve on the main input lines to the filters, installed a second input with a shutoff valve and a OMC quick disconnect. Did this for both port and starboard fuel lines. Then I brought two of the 6 gal OMC portable tanks on board one day, hooked them up, closed the main line input valves, opened the new valves, hooked up the OMC hoses, and cruised around a while. Worked A-OK. I did this so that if I ever went offshore, I could have an emergency 6 gal (approx 1.25 hours) of fuel for each motor.

Somewhere in the projects forum is a pic of this setup. When I get some time, I'll go looking for it and link it back into this message.

Megabyte, I too have three tanks on my 94 2520. Only come as option with the MV from what I was told.

IrishAyes":1ap6dyd9 said:
Megabyte, I too have three tanks on my 94 2520. Only come as option with the MV from what I was told.

Interesting.
Do you ever have occasion to use that range?

Megabyte,
When I first bought the boat, i did some offshore fishing. used all of center tank and some in saddle tank. Only used that much on a VERY few occasions, thank the Lord. Now I do mostly fluke or inshore to midrange bottom fishing.

IrishAyes":124g9bnt said:
Megabyte,
When I first bought the boat, i did some offshore fishing. used all of center tank and some in saddle tank. Only used that much on a VERY few occasions, thank the Lord. Now I do mostly fluke or inshore to midrange bottom fishing.

Man, i'd love to have your tanks. weve run the inlet on fumes a couple of times, and there just isnt enough room in the cockpit with an ice chest, a cooler, 3 five gallon buckets and 3 guys for gas cans. were thinking bladder tank to get us out, which we can then fold up and strap to the transom bracket. any thoughts?

I just got a 2003 2520XL with 200 HPDIs. what kind of range are you guys getting?

With a single 225 OX66 on my MVSC, I burn roughly 13 gph @ 4200 rpm's making about 24 kts.

That would get me roughly 220 nautical miles in about 9.25 hours on 120 gallons of fuel.

pelagic2530, my boat was sold by Shorts Marine to the original owner and I'm certain the reason she has 3 tanks is for the very same reason you'd want them - running out of IRI. :wink:
As it turned out, the original owner bought her from Shorts but used here here in the Chessie... and now so do I.

I have an 1800 that I put a new tank in the floor and had another one special made by RDS.(They make Parker tanks). It was designed to fit inside the console on my 1800 so it is low profile and would fit very nice in a larger console like yours. The dimensions are 12" high, 24 inches long and 20 inches wide. It is a 24 gallon capacity and it is their standard aluminum tank. It has the gauge installed and has hold downs welded to the tank on all 4 sides. It has also been coated with Coal Tar Epoxy coating for lifetime salt protection.

I am not using this tank as I went with a 140 Suzuki for power and don't need the extra fuel. If you are interested, you can give me a call. 919-649-8058. I will sell it for exactly what RDS charged me for the tank which is somewhere around $185. ( I will have to find the invoice)

Back