Parker Gelcoat? Can I order from Parker?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Madison CT

Reaction score
Gents: I removed the Tarp from my Parker today. The tarp rubbed on the corners of my swim platform/Armstrong bracket and wore the paint away down to the bare aluminum.

I believe this is Gelcoat not paint, but correct me if I'm wrong. I was thinking that I could spray gelcoat here and cover the alum., plus make it look right.

Has anyone ordered Gelcoat from Parker? I was thinking of trying one of those small Prevail(sp?) sprayers too.

Comments, suggestions, etc. ???

John

Hi John-

I would have to see the area you are talking about but if it is on aluminum it may be powder coated and not get coat.

In answer to your question I have gotten Parker gel coat in two ways. The cheapest was getting some from my dealer--free. I did not ask for a gal but only enough for touch up--about a mayonnaise jar full. The second way was that I was talking to a Parker engineer about another problem over the phone and also asked him for touch up. Again it was free and about a quart.

I have had three Parkers so have gotten gel a number of times. Once I called and asked if Parker would ship me some and the guy said I had to go through my dealer.

One thing of note, Parker uses a different gel on the exterior and the interior of the hull.

John_Madison CT":1ljhcffq said:
Has anyone ordered Gelcoat from Parker? I was thinking of trying one of those small Prevail(sp?) sprayers too.

Wild Bill has it. The bracket is either powdercoat or paint. It's almost certainly not gelcoat.

But... if you need Parker gelcoat, your dealer (or the factory) is the place to get the stuff that matches. The Prevail sprayer is the way to go for touch-ups too.
I believe GW204 did a good sized fiberglass repair on his previous boat that he sprayed with gelcoat. You might want to PM him and ask about the sprayer, and how he applied it.

Good luck!

Parker gel coat can be bought either interior or exterior!
quart is the minimum you can get, and they can get it in gallons also!

John, one thing if you seek it out is to tell them the year of the boat. Parker may not have stayed with the same vendor.

I had a repair shop clean up some dings in the oyster white on the pulpit and fiberglass swim platorm two years ago. I have a colored hull and I know that changed. I had a few scratches filled and the color they got was not an exact match.

Dana

I went through this about 9 months ago. I emailed Robin, she said I had to go through my local dealer in Georgetown, SC. I called the dealer, they said they couldn't sell me any. I emailed Robin back, and about 30 minutes later, Nautica Marine in Georgetown called me to tell me that they didn't know they could sell gelcoat, but for me to come by and pick some up. They gave me a quart jar w/ the hardener.

Also, I specifically asked Robin if the stuff now would match the gelcoat from my 1983. She said it would, except it may be a little darker after my hull was in the sun for so many years.

John , If your bracket is an Armstrong , the coating should be an Imron coating. It is not a gelcoat. You may be able to contact Armstrong directly. I spoke with them 2 years ago concerning the best paint to apply which is how I know.
Keith

Neckbone":2ot9sm74 said:
I went through this about 9 months ago. I emailed Robin, she said I had to go through my local dealer in Georgetown, SC. I called the dealer, they said they couldn't sell me any. I emailed Robin back, and about 30 minutes later, Nautica Marine in Georgetown called me to tell me that they didn't know they could sell gelcoat, but for me to come by and pick some up. They gave me a quart jar w/ the hardener.

Emphasis mine.

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a while. I'm telling Robin on you!!! :lol: :lol:

Outlaw has it right. It's Imron and Robin Parker said I should contact them (Armstrong) directly. Gonna call tomorrow AM.

I have this paint coming off in a few spots, almost bubbling up a little bit. Nothing real bad, but I want to nip it in the butt.

John, when I pick up my new engines I'll ask them for some gelcoat. I only need a little for some touchup, so anything they give me will be more than I really need.

What is this sprayer everyone is referring to? Does anyone have a link for how to touchup gelcoat dings?

rangerdog":3jnwjgho said:
Neckbone":3jnwjgho said:

Emphasis mine.

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a while. I'm telling Robin on you!!! :lol: :lol:

That did come out as a tattle-tale. All I wanted is a dam cup of gelcoat.

Since was I really needed was Imron paint to paint the bracket, I called Armstrong and they sent me 2oz. gratis.

Now I need to find a small amt of Acrylic Enamel Reducer to thin it enough to spray through that Preval sprayer device.

John

Back