Parkers sinking

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Ronnie

Reaction score
After reading on other sites of a few other types of boats sinking lately ,
I got to wondering, has there ever been a report of a Parker sinking ???

I have never heard of a Parker sinking, although anything is possible...all one has to do is tie one up short on a low tide. Hardly the fault of the boat.

Don't know of a sinking, but had some gelcoat repairs done coming up on two years ago and company had resurrected one that had flipped off Nantucket.

Dana

Ron..

Just the title of this thread sent shivers through me.....wasn't sure if it was a headline from a local newspaper or what... :shock:

Just putting those two words in the same sentence. "Parkers Sinking".... Look at how many of us opened the thread to look - over a hundred in just a day or two.. We stopped dead in our tracks...opened the thread...and then said "Whew!"

We all know that all boat makes can sink. But I tell ya, when heading out of the harbor, I definitely feel like I am behind the wheel of a super-duty pickup. Heavy duty suspension, well built and secure. Not a racing machine, not an SUV, not a euro luxury sedan, just a solid, well-built pickup that I can take anywhere, with lots of open space to use for whatever I need to do.

That would be an interesting thread...."If Parker made a vehicle, it would be a ........."

I'm sure one has gone down, especially mis-tied at the dock, but I've never heard of one going down while underway.

cbigma":fr316hz7 said:
But I tell ya, when heading out of the harbor, I definitely feel like I am behind the wheel of a super-duty pickup. Heavy duty suspension, well built and secure. Not a racing machine, not an SUV, not a euro luxury sedan, just a solid, well-built pickup that I can take anywhere, with lots of open space to use for whatever I need to do.

I have a buddy of mine who lives in the midwest, and had him out on my boat the other day. He commented on how much he liked the layout and the room in the cockpit...

My comment was very similar to cbigma's quote. I told him that if you want to go fast, or if you want a lot of bling, look for another boat. But... if you want a big 'ol pickup truck that is steady and dependable, buy a Parker.

There was one that recently occured in Southeast Alaska Juneau area, during winter months. I believe it was in 2004. Eyewitnesses saw the boat pulling King crab pots with a davit/winch when the boat rolled over and then sunk. The two occupants were able to get out and on top of the hull but it rolled before anyone could get to them to assist. The boat was recovered but the two on board were never found. I believe the hull was a 1990's 25 ft Sport Cabin, no offshore bracket. I haven't driven by recently but I think the boat still sits in a Juneau boat yard.

A tragedy for sure.

A couple of years ago, my son and I did something really stupid, and would never do it again.
There was an approaching hurricane, and the evacuation notice was in place for the Keys. We had to put the boat on the trailer, but decided that we would "tickle the tale of the Dragon", and sneak outside for a peek.
We encountered nine foot seas, and at the first opportunity, turned tail and headed in. Tore off my lobster tag (commercial #), and a very expensive bumper...moot point we were alive. The seas swamped the boat, and came crashing over the top, and breaking in the cockpit area of the boat.
Through it all, we felt secure, but like I said, wouldn't care to do it again.
It was/is the 2320 Pilothouse.

terrytunz":alcpgh4r said:
It was/is the 2320 Pilothouse.

after all the discussions of "fit and finish", comments about limited motor brand selection, "pounding" hulls, blah, blah, blah... I believe "terrytunz" has found...

The definition of "Seaworthy"

Just had a hell of a wave ride on a friend's boat yesterday. Was on the Vineyard with him this weekend so didn't see my boat at all this weekend.

Good wave action from the stern yesterday even early morning in Buzzards Bay and was making way up to Kingman Marine. He has a 32' Silverton Motoryacht. A bus on an obstacle course.

I was driving and we were getting the boat lifted and turned with the taller waves (6+'). Was spinning the wheel as the waves grabbed and re-aimed the boat. Easy to do. Tall boat, 12' beam, and catches a lot of wind too.

Had been doing 9 mph and saw a good one coming. He was sitting beside me and it really accelerated and turned us. I was leaning on the wheel and it was hstill eading sideways. He killed the throttles and we sat in the bottom of the swell heeled. Emptied the fridge, all cushions and anything else, and more.

when got to his slip, saw we took some water in the starboard engine air supply vent from digging into the water.

Some boats are better in wave directions. This big tub keeps you awake with rear quarter or stern waves.

Dana

the only one i know of was off virginia beach a few years back.....
linwood was aware of it......the guy was well offshore, but had
anchored by the stern!.....a bigger than usual (which is NOT
unusual at all) swell came right over the stern....it was an outboard
model and not bracketed.........obviously, anchoring by the stern
is just idiotic anytime....poor seamanship......the full transom (mine
is i/o) is also a major safety feature once protected water is left
behind........

the one honest criticism i will make of the BOAT, besides lack of
a splashwell on some models, is UNDERSIZED SCUPPERS......i cut
my oem scuppers out and replaced them forthwith, using much bigger
pvc "trap door" style.........they are used, for example , on luhrs sport
fishing boats.......about 2 1/2" dia ........recall that resistance to flow
= 1/ radius-to-the-fourth-power!!!......thus, with even modest increases
in radius, the resultant FLOW is enormously enhanced........dan

Dan,

My 1996 MVSC has the single-hole scuppers, but the newer boats have doubles on each side (total of 4) with the 'trap-door' flap that you speak of.

Not certain what year the upgrade was made, but the newer boats have better drainage than the older models.

Back