Permatrim caused cav plate to crack?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s the update. Decided to leave the previous mounting holes as they are the same configuration as the bottom mount plate I have coming. Welder did an excellent job. Great prep work, then he put a bevel in both the bottom and top crack to set up a bigger bead, ground both welds smooth. Now it’s ready for some sanding then onto primer and paint

Attachments

• 466010CF-B5A6-4D09-9D75-9E89B5D1A771.jpeg
    466010CF-B5A6-4D09-9D75-9E89B5D1A771.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 7402FC63-E17A-4445-94ED-D499641511E8.jpeg
    7402FC63-E17A-4445-94ED-D499641511E8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: Efx
Looks great!
While he is grinding, the "proud" area of the AV plate I circled had vibrated through the paint of my permatrim. It looks like the high spot at the trim tab index marks has been knocked down already. You can see the one side he touched (in the forward circle) how it was sticking up, and is now shiny. This is where mine had rubbed through the PT finish, by placing stress at that one mating point. Get him to knock those smooth and add a slug of sealant/adhesive at those spots when you add the new permatrim.
Those guys repair bass boat skegs all the time. No biggie to them, but it sure is stressful to the motor owner! It won't be long now.

Attachments

• 7402FC63-E17A-4445-94ED-D499641511E8~2.jpeg
    7402FC63-E17A-4445-94ED-D499641511E8~2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Looks great!
While he is grinding, the "proud" area of the AV plate I circled had vibrated through the paint of my permatrim. It looks like the high spot at the trim tab index marks has been knocked down already. You can see the one side he touched (in the forward circle) how it was sticking up, and is now shiny. This is where mine had rubbed through the PT finish, by placing stress at that one mating point. Get him to knock those smooth and add a slug of sealant/adhesive at those spots when you add the new permatrim.
Those guys repair bass boat skegs all the time. No biggie to them, but it sure is stressful to the motor owner! It won't be long now.
I think I know what you saying but when I felt around and tap tested his welds I didn’t notice anything uneven. The finish was even and smooth as a baby’s butt. I am going to add a full barrier of adhesive sealant though to prevent any unnecessary wear and fill in any uneven spots if there are any. When I talked to permatrim they said that is what they recommend and why they advertise the sealant on the same page as the permatrim. On the original permatrim the previous owner did not apply any sealant which likely led to more vibration. The main issue, however, was installing the wrong permatrim

I just installed the Permatrim on my Yamaha 250 from the bottom as well. I'm getting a rooster tail at slower speeds and it goes away once I get on plane. Is anyone else experiencing this. I asked Colin, owner of Permatrim in New Zealand, and he said my outboard might be too low and the cavitation plate should be level or above the V of my hull. TIA.

I just installed the Permatrim on my Yamaha 250 from the bottom as well. I'm getting a rooster tail at slower speeds and it goes away once I get on plane. Is anyone else experiencing this. I asked Colin, owner of Permatrim in New Zealand, and he said my outboard might be too low and the cavitation plate should be level or above the V of my hull. TIA.
You shouldn’t unless your ventilating somehow. When my AV plate cracked I noticed the same roster tail at low rpm then it went away on plane. When I got back to the wash down I noticed my plate was cracked. Is the roster rail coming from behind the prop or closer to your bracket? Could be your transducer

You shouldn’t unless your ventilating somehow. When my AV plate cracked I noticed the same roster tail at low rpm then it went away on plane. When I got back to the wash down I noticed my plate was cracked. Is the roster rail coming from behind the prop or closer to your bracket? Could be your transducer

I believe it is from my transducer as it is installed right at the V on the hull. But I never had a rooster tail before the Permatrim. The tail is right at the prop. There are no cracks that I can see. Maybe I need to raise the motor some?

I believe it is from my transducer as it is installed right at the V on the hull. But I never had a rooster tail before the Permatrim. The tail is right at the prop. There are no cracks that I can see. Maybe I need to raise the motor some?
If from your transducer it shouldn’t be from behind your prop. The drag from the motor being mounted too low can cause a roster tail, however, my f250 is also mounted on the lowest hole and did not put out a roster tail until my av plate cracked. Are you sure your not applying too much trim or possibly over propped (prop losing grip)?

Last edited:
Back