Permatrim - looking for feedback

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumsal

Reaction score
OK, I've read all the Permatrim threads on the board and ready to pull the trigger. I have hesitated because of drilling holes in each of my LU's. Like others, I'd like to lower my planning speed, especially into a choppy head-sea for a smoother ride. DV 2510 WA (bracket) with twin Yam 150's, running stock Reliance 17p props.

Anyone not happy after installing a Permatrim? Any weird handling issues, like in a following sea or backing in reverse?

Thanks guys,

I saw no issues with a 23 DVCC and F250 other than positive benefits in helping low speed planning performance. No difference in speed, handling or fuel economy.

That said, I also tried a Permatrim on a F300 and 23 DVCC ..... with the larger motor, I observed no quantitate difference in any metric with the boat's performance.

I have a 2520 Modified V with 300hp Yamaha. I noticed very little difference.

We put a set on and worked as anticipated. You don't need to use trim tabs as much except to load balance if people move around. At first when you run the boat with the engine in your prior regular position you may notice some bow steer at higher speeds in calm water since the permatrim gives you more stern lift. So that is just a simple matter of trimming the motors slightly higher.

Overall, we are happy we put them on and don't see any downside

Good feedback! I wonder if they are more effective on twin engined hulls?

I performed a mod on the permatrim I installed on my 300. I drilled the holes, mounted it, then went back and cut the center piece out that could potentially block flow to the trim tab anode scoop. This is the "before" picture, then I dremel cut along the two red lines.

Attachments

• img_20200502_141535214_711abd977cd04a27f6a753e1cf2f8b5cb99e082d~2.jpg
    img_20200502_141535214_711abd977cd04a27f6a753e1cf2f8b5cb99e082d~2.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 98
Something to consider though a lot more expensive are sternlift, 4 bladed props, such as the PowerTech OFS4. Ken at Propgodz can direct you in selection.

What does Yamaha have to say about warrantying their OB that someone has drilled holes in? If the permatrim had a means of varying the pitch, it could become a hydrofoil... so if the aft edge was pitched downward the force would be increased. Just pondering...

On my 2320 F250 I added a SE sport fin, 4 blade prop, and moved the motor up 2 holes.

I noticed a major improvement in hole shot, quicker to plane, better mpg at cruise, more torque in the mid ranges. Only negative lost 3 mph off the top end which I don’t care.

On my 2320 F250 I added a SE sport fin, 4 blade prop, and moved the motor up 2 holes.

I noticed a major improvement in hole shot, quicker to plane, better mpg at cruise, more torque in the mid ranges. Only negative lost 3 mph off the top end which I don’t care.
What is gained by raising the OB - 2 holes? Isn't there a relationship between where the bottom of the boat ends at the transom and the vertical location of the OB's cavitation plate?

Something to consider though a lot more expensive are sternlift, 4 bladed props, such as the PowerTech OFS4. Ken at Propgodz can direct you in selection.

Ken actually recommended that I try 15 pitch Mercury Enertia‘s over a four blade prop a couple of years ago. I would need the mercury hubs to reduce prop chatter. He steered me away from the bigger 4 blades. I think they are $750 each - ouch!

Ken actually recommended that I try 15 pitch Mercury Enertia‘s over a four blade prop a couple of years ago. I would need the mercury hubs to reduce prop chatter. He steered me away from the bigger 4 blades. I think they are $750 each - ouch!
Well he’s steering people back he recommended that I buy a Powertech 4 blade last summer. 😁

I’m thinking about raising the motor as well on my 2300. Only in an attempt to get the fwd lower unit water intake out of the water even when the motor is raised. The water intake gets clogged with marine growth as I moor the boat. I love my 2300 but the saggy rear end is a bummer.

I’m thinking about raising the motor as well on my 2300. Only in an attempt to get the fwd lower unit water intake out of the water even when the motor is raised. The water intake gets clogged with marine growth as I moor the boat. I love my 2300 but the saggy rear end is a bummer.
My 300 is completely out of the water while sitting in the water at my slip on my 2300.

OK, I've read all the Permatrim threads on the board and ready to pull the trigger. I have hesitated because of drilling holes in each of my LU's. Like others, I'd like to lower my planning speed, especially into a choppy head-sea for a smoother ride. DV 2510 WA (bracket) with twin Yam 150's, running stock Reliance 17p props.

Anyone not happy after installing a Permatrim? Any weird handling issues, like in a following sea or backing in reverse?

Thanks guys,
Added the Permatrim and 4 blade prop and no regrets. I get on plane quicker!

Just touched base with Ken again and he still recommends the Enertias. But he said they are just trickling in, and hard to get. He can get the powertechs easily. Maybe because I have twins? I also have F150s, which don‘t seem to like huge props. Confusing for sure!

We were totally mystified and so happy that our boat was on a plane and got there so quickly while on the trailer in the shed. That propeller and piece of aluminum we bolted and welded to the outdrive worked wonders! People on the street at the stop light must think we are geniuses with all the stuff bolted to our outboards!

Just kidding guys! I've seen fox-tails on radio antennas that helped with radio reception too! (that was a while back)

Last edited:
I have over 700 hours running my 2320 with a 4 blade, permatrim, and over sized 12x18 tabs.

I only fish offshore in Washington state. I have ran home in big following seas, head seas, confused seas and just about any other condition you can imagine. My boat is completely safe with all these mods. It rides far better then stock form. When ruining out I’m faster then nearly all boats that are similar sized, and even a few bigger ones.

The only draw back with permatrim, you might lose some top end (as stated above). Of course drilling holes into a new Yamaha 300 can be nerve racking.

With bigger tabs you might lose some MPG, but this depends on you and how much tab you deploy.

Tight lines!

We were totally mystified and so happy that our boat was on a plane and got there so quickly while on the trailer in the shed. That propeller and piece of aluminum we bolted and welded to the outdrive worked wonders! People on the street at the stop light must think we are geniuses with all the stuff bolted to our outboards!

Just kidding guys! I've seen fox-tails on radio antennas that helped with radio reception too! (that was a while back)
Do you think trim tabs are hocus- pocus too?
I tried a bare propeller shaft but there was too much slip, so I had to start adding things. Just kidding.

Last edited:
Back