Permatrim Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmoore

Reaction score
I’m hearing such great feedback I think I might install one on a new 2320 w/ f300. Have any owners with these had any issues with corrosion where you drill the holes ? That has been my only concern. I’ll be installing it on a F300. Also, has anyone had the added benefit of additional rpms ? That’s not what I would get it for, but had heard someone mention they were getting an additional 100-200 rpms without changing prop pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it Bmoore. I’m a big fan of these. Per the instructions, you use Marine sealant around the holes and you should run a bead around the perimeter of the cavitation plate and the Permatrim. The idea is to isolate the salt water and the stainless hardware from the bare aluminum where you drill the holes. Grouper Jim uses black sealant but I used white. I didn’t read Jim’s post until after I did mine or I would have used the black. It just blends better so you can’t see it. You may gain an extra 100 RPM’s? RPM gains would be more related to raising your motor. If your motor is mounted all the way down then you may want to consider moving it to the middle position. You don’t need to worry about moving your motor at all with the Permatrim but the manufactures tend to just mount the motor all the way down and raising it up some may give you a little better MPG and increase your RPM’s. I raised mine all the way up because my older F225 is heavy, heavier then your 4.2 F300 by about 50 lbs., and my 2120’s shorter water line was a little ass heavy. The Permatrim will make you able to get and stay on plane faster and hold plane at slower speeds which is nice when your beating into a head sea and you want to slow down and drop the prow of your bow into the waves so she won’t pound.

Attachments

• 2856819C-EAAF-4574-BB4B-BA4B6881CF7A.jpeg
    2856819C-EAAF-4574-BB4B-BA4B6881CF7A.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 04807A9F-93B4-49E5-85BB-B22A18304A19.jpeg
    04807A9F-93B4-49E5-85BB-B22A18304A19.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,028
PKS1801":111yufsf said:
Why wouldn't any of these devices, that mount on top of the anti-ventilation plate, be completely out of the water at WOT, and doing nothing?

I would say for the same reason that a trim tab still functions at WOT. The main purpose of the Permatrim is to lift the stern and force the bow down from the flow of water going under it, like a trim tab. However, to your point about riding on top at high speeds, this is why I have had some consideration about dropping my motor back down a hole or maybe 2? This would, in theory, get the Permatrim back under the surface some and thus allow for more lifting control (trim) of the bow at higher speeds. I have liked the results of mine.

Bmoore":9dgh8hl2 said:
I’m hearing such great feedback I think I might install one on a new 2320 w/ f300. Have any owners with these had any issues with corrosion where you drill the holes ? That has been my only concern. I’ll be installing it on a F300. Also, has anyone had the added benefit of additional rpms ? That’s not what I would get it for, but had heard someone mention they were getting an additional 100-200 rpms without changing prop pitch

In my opinion, I wouldn't think that you need one on a f300. That engine should give you plenty of power to be able to get up on plane. I have one on my f225 ( slightly under powered) and it did help out with planeing and staying on plane in lower speeds. But, what helped the most was the prop.

Also, I got rid the washers that came with it, and used larger ones (2× the width) which helps distribute the load more evenly under the nut. When it comes to corrosion, do what you can do in order to create a barrier between the stainless and the bare aluminum. Whether it be 5200, 4800, etc.

That was good info on lowering motor if you already raise it and now want to put permatrim on. As for the OP-Bmoore. I think permatrim would be a great benefit because his motor is mounted down.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. No issues getting on plane w/ the f300. Plenty of power. Had just considered to help stay on plane at lower speeds for rough water. Sounds like the guys in the NW pretty much add them right away and really like the results. I think I’ll probably use the boat as is for a while, but pretty keen on the idea of permatrim and it’s benefits.

Bmoore":2dbpu52j said:

i have the same setup as you bmoore and added it to my f300. it makes a big difference in ride and how the boat handles. the f300 does have enough power to plane the parker 2320, but its even more amazing being able to plane at low speeds. less porpoising from the get go. a lot of people hate the look of it, but it does perform well.

Besides the benefit of planing at a lower speed I'm convinced that I get slightly better fuel economy with the permatrim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

shawnee83":34ch4q18 said:
I would say for the same reason that a trim tab still functions at WOT. The main purpose of the Permatrim is to lift the stern and force the bow down from the flow of water going under it, like a trim tab. However, to your point about riding on top at high speeds, this is why I have had some consideration about dropping my motor back down a hole or maybe 2? This would, in theory, get the Permatrim back under the surface some and thus allow for more lifting control (trim) of the bow at higher speeds. I have liked the results of mine.

Perfectly said. In essence the Permatrim defines the running attitude and hull rise on takeoff of the bow. On a DV hull, using it on an engine mounted in the factory holes which is usually all the way down (but I have seen one hole up on occasion) the Permatrim will afford the most influence on the bow/running attitude. On a DV no matter which mounting holes you use, you'll be able to see the top the Permatrim while at speed. That said, theoretically you could raise the motor too high and lose the benefit of controlling the bow. Like any other engine (Permatrim or no Permatrim) that is raised too high such that the lower unit A/V plate or Permatrim is out of the water a likely consequence would be porpoising and a sloppy bow.

While a Permatrim will help an underpowered hull get out of the hole better, it will help any boat plane quicker regardless of power. The main purpose on a DV fishing boat such as ours is to tame the bow, adjust to a level running attitude at lower speeds. This business of hole shot and top end is kind of irrelevant on Parker IMO........it's a fishing boat not a speed boat. Another benefit that is not talked about much is that the Permatrim will make a 23 DV ride like a 25 DV due to change the pitch axis of the hull (moves it further aft).

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 880
  • IMG_0932.jpeg
    IMG_0932.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 880
WestCoastNut":mgsq56ou said:
Besides the benefit of planing at a lower speed I'm convinced that I get slightly better fuel economy with the permatrim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Running level=better ride=better fuel burn.

I have 2 Permatrims. One on each of my F300s. Never use the tabs with regard to bringing the bow down. Only use they get is when a couple of extra large people are off to one side of centerline.

grouperjim":zdsr57c9 said:
shawnee83":zdsr57c9 said:
. Another benefit that is not talked about much is that the Permatrim will make a 23 DV ride like a 25 DV due to change the pitch axis of the hull (moves it further aft).

I don't disagree with Jim about much ...... as a matter of fact, I agree with him on just about everything. But IMO, I think you are incorrect here.

The 23 DVCC is a better riding hull than the 25DVCC regardless of modifications. There's nothing wrong with the 25 DVCC but the 23 is 10-20% right from the factory. Add a Permatrim ...... and you get another 10% improvement.

GoodChance":1fkv430v said:
grouperjim":1fkv430v said:
shawnee83":1fkv430v said:
. Another benefit that is not talked about much is that the Permatrim will make a 23 DV ride like a 25 DV due to change the pitch axis of the hull (moves it further aft).

I don't disagree with Jim about much ...... as a matter of fact, I agree with him on just about everything. But IMO, I think you are incorrect here.

The 23 DVCC is a better riding hull than the 25DVCC regardless of modifications. There's nothing wrong with the 25 DVCC but the 23 is 10-20% right from the factory. Add a Permatrim ...... and you get another 10% improvement.

Hey Chris. Absolutely, I agree. The Parker 25DV is a wide boat hence there is going to be a penalty for that in the ride but of course this is true of most any hull with that dead rise and length to beam config.

That said, I should clarify that I my comments about riding longer referred to other similar (8.5 beam) hulls (non-Parker). I fish a lot on other boats and the Perma puts the 23DV ride easily in contention or better than many 8.5 beam 25s.

Does the mounting style matter? Would an undermount be ok for a 2320 with a 300? I'm about to pull the trigger just not certain the difference between an under mount and over. Thanks.

The water pressure is upward on the rear of the fin, so an under mount distributes the load more evenly over more of the plate, while the load on an over mount is on the bolts and their holes. Pictures of both above. Probably doesn't matter as far as water pressure goes, but it might make a difference in striking something in the water.

The original Perma was designed to bolt on top. The company subsequently came out with an undermount as the newest iteration.

Mounting it underneath seems to be the preferred way, but since it is underneath you need to check for clearance between the prop and the Permatrim. Yamahas seem to do fine.

PKS1801's observations are probably spot on. When I had my 23s with the Perma bolted on top, I may have broken a rear bolt once or twice which was no big deal. I have run the dual undermount Permatrims on the f300s up to 55mph without issue.

You guys are hitting high speeds. I’m only at 44 and thought that was fast for a deep V parker.

Marty D":2u6sh24g said:
You guys are hitting high speeds. I’m only at 44 and thought that was fast for a deep V parker.

Light load trimmed up she'll do 60+.

I honestly don't enjoy going that fast as it is hard to relax. Too many things can pop up and you won't be able to react. But the power/torque is nice to have at more moderate speeds which yields fairly good fuel economy and good handling qualities as the hull moves through the water effortlessly as the engines do not struggle in the slightest.

It is hard to complain about having too much power. 8)

Back