Permatrim Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading these posts I think I'm sold on adding a permatrim. I'm running a 2003 Yamaha F225 to my 2300 CC and at slower speeds I need my trim tabs all the way down to get the bow down. I see a few different brands on Amazon, what brand is recommended?

johnfbushjr":251u7ua2 said:
I see a few different brands on Amazon, what brand is recommended?

What you want is an actual Permatrim. I just did a quick search on Amazon. Those are hydrofoils but not Permatrims. Go here to get what many of us including me has: https://www.simyamaha.com/PERMATRIMS_s/11628.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, does the Permatrim actually act as a foil, or does it function more as a way to direct the water coming off the prop? I just put one on my Yamaha HPDI 200 on an SC2120, but haven't put it back in the water yet to try it out.

I installed the undermount type on my Parker 2300 with a F225 this offseason but have sea trialed it yet ... can't wait to launch and try it out. I had a little trouble achieving the recommended fastener torque because the bolts included with the kit are phillips head. It was tough to hold them steady with a screw driver, definitely a two man job. An allen head truss type fastener might be worth looking in to ... for me it was too late I already had everything together and sealant everywhere.

Not so sure it acts like a foil to provide lift since it is basically a flat plate. The cross section looks more like a flat plate than an airplane wing. IMO it acts more like a trim tab and is very effective on hulls with bracketed outboards since it is positioned so far astern from the hull axis. Its probably another 6' further back from a conventional trim tab (i.e. -- bigger lever arm).

Brent":sxy4sou4 said:
Jim

Did you remove the rudder part of LU anode?

Hey Brent.......just saw this comment.

Yes, I cut off the "rudders" as they are not needed on twins........and they create a small amount of drag as well.

As far as the the "rudder" on the anode for a single application and a permatrim I personally feel the down turns on either side of the permatrim help the boat track straight more so than the rudder.

Just installed a permatrim on my 2120 with a f150. I am also putting 1” wedges on the trip tab plates. I’m hoping to be able to plane at 15 mph. We have a notorious 2’ chop here on cape cod and I’m hoping this all works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just took her out today and wow what a difference. I was able to plane all the way down to 12 mph. Before the permatrim 18mph was the slowest I could get on plane and would take a pounding on a head sea. Being able to slow down and let the bow do the work made all the difference for me today. I highly recommend this to anyone with my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the positive test. I’m a big fan of the Permatrim. I also changed out my 12”x12” tabs for 12”x18” tabs chasing the same concept. My only concern is the 1” wedge on the tabs. Watch for any tendency of broaching in a following sea, especially coming in an inlet. Tabs are usually set at an angle 1/4” above the bottom of the hull when fully retracted. You will probably be ok but it’s something to monitor as you continue to run her. Enjoy the season.

Anode “rudders” counter steering torque, not prop walk. The prevalence of counter rotating twins, and power steering, in the last decade or two, is what has led to their decreased use.

I read on the Sims Site that the under mount Permatrim ( Y9 ) is best for single engines, mounted on a bracket, boats over 21'? Will the Y9 work good on a transom mount motor like the Parker 2120's with a Yamaha F150 - or do I need the M9?
I would prefer the under mount
Thanks

Asked and ordered from Sims
Reply from Andy
Very fast reply too!

You would want the undermount in your application, you are good to go. The 2120 is a heavy 21ft boat, so the undermount is a better mounting scenario.

Thanks

Andy

I have 1999 2520 DV Suzuki300, I am seriously considering purchase and install of permatrim, where is the best price/delivery place to purchase. Thanks for help.

I have 1999 2520 DV Suzuki300, I am seriously considering purchase and install of permatrim, where is the best price/delivery place to purchase. Thanks for help.

I think that SIM Yamaha is the sole-source here in the USA

I've been running a Permatrim for about 8 years and I've experimented with it on and off the boat. To me it seems more like swapping out the cat-back muffler system on a car - I think it does more than it probably actually does, but it's nearly impossible to obtain empirical data... The things I've noticed is a very slight improvement in being able to plane (~18 mph instead of ~20) but it definitely handles a little more squirrelly in a following sea. Nothing awful, but its noticeable. It doesn't seem to affect fuel consumption. I get 1.9 to 2.1 mpg (statute) no matter what. I guess the ultimate answer is that I ran with it for a couple years, then took it off for a season and ended up putting it back on. Not because it made such a huge difference, but it was slightly better and the trade-off was worth it.

My situation might be a bit unique - 140 gal tank right at the stern, so very stern heavy and an older style bracket without much flotation.

Back