pilothouse outriggers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
As many of you know my father sold his long time friend, his 1970 Allmand. He has replaced her with a 27 Judge downeast. For Christmas my brother and I are looking to get him outriggers for the boat. My father said Lee wishbones were more than he wanted to spend (out of our budget too) and was considering a good pair of gunwale mount or Lee's side mounts for the side of the pilothouse. Do any of you have experience with Lee's side mounts like these?
t_11516.jpg

Or should I advise him to go with a good set of gunwale mounts. He is hoping to run 18' poles with 1 1/2" diameter poles.

These are photos from the Judge site of a boat identical to his.
27de_130twinhonda.jpg

27de_rearwall_opt.jpg

The only photos of the exact boat he has just bought (others show where the riggers would go better). As you can see he has a cockpit steering station that may more limit the mounting of gunwale riggers.

48121a.jpg

48124a.jpg

What are your thoughts and advice?

Greg - you may want to look at the Lee T-top outrigger bases. I as well as John from CT both went that route. The advantage of mounting on the roof are that they are out of the way when bottom fishing and boarding the boat. The only downside is that they don't lay down so that may be a problem if you father encounters any bridges. As I type this reply, I just remembered Parker 28 also has the t-top riggers. Do a search on the site b/c I posted pictures of his bases last spring.

Brad

PS - I thinks this is the post http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... r++rigging

Thanks for the suggestion. He probably would not want to go that route only because of the height of the hardtop. It has a level deck and the top is probably 6'4" from the floor. I think he would prefer to have them within easier reach for deployment. I have come across a possible used purchase of wishbones w/ 21' single spreader poles. I will keep you posted as I run your suggestion by him.

Thanks again!!!

Greg - when I deploy the riggers I stand on the side of the pilothouse and push the botton to swing the riggers out. With regard to the harlyard, when not in use they are bungee'd to the rails on the top of the cabin. When fishing the halyards are run to the gunnel, so I don't have to do any reaching. Have fun with your investigation.

GO WITH THE WISHBONES, THEY WILL LOOK AWESOME ON THAT BOAT. CHECK EBAY, YOU CAN GET SOME USED ONES. I PUT THEM ON MY PARKER AND THEY WORK GREAT. THEN YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF 1 1/2 OR 2" POLES. THEY WOULD LOOK SWEET ON THE SIDE OF THAT BOAT.
YOU CAN SEE MY PARKER WITH THE WISHBONES UNDER THE INTRODUCTION FORUM. IT SAYS THIS IS PARKER HEAVEN
GOOD LUCK!

I AGREE WITH PALEGIC. MY PARKER HAD GUNNEL MOUNT OUTRIGGERS WHEN I BOUGHT IT, AND THEY ARE A HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$. GO WITH THE WISHBONES. THERE ARE SOME REALLY NICE ONES ON EBAY RIGHT NOW.
SCOTT

Attachments

• parker1.JPG
    parker1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 183
I AGREE WITH PALEGIC. MY PARKER HAD GUNNEL MOUNT OUTRIGGERS WHEN I BOUGHT IT, AND THEY ARE A HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$. GO WITH THE WISHBONES. THERE ARE SOME REALLY NICE ONES ON EBAY RIGHT NOW.
SCOTT

Attachments

• parker1.JPG
    parker1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 183
We ended up getting him gunwale mount super stiff Lee's. I spoke to the builder who recommended them for his boat. Judge is a semi custom boat builder and the one he ended up getting didnt have backing plates molded into the pilothouse sides. They are also made of thinner divynacell (sp?) so to add backing plates would take very large ones and more work than it is worth to him to do it right. He has done well with his current gunwale mounts so it isnt a change other than he will now have the super stiffs..

Thanks for all the feed back..

Back