Planning Speed/RPM 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reellucky18

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a new motor mounted on my boat and I am about to do the break in time on this motor.

Can anyone weigh in on if this 1801 boat with a 150 HP 4 stoke will get on plane at 2,000 rpm’s?

Trying to determine if I’ll have a slow go at this range or if I’ll be able to cruise.

I do have trim tabs & plan to use as needed.

I don't think that will happen. My break in limited me to 3000rpm and I couldn't quite get on plane...I needed around 3400. But...I do not have tabs. I still think it's a stretch even with tabs.

Thank you Puck-n-fish! I suspect the same but only true time will tell.

Do you have the 150 or 115? Also what prop are you running?

The ability of your 1801 boat with a 150 HP 4-stroke engine to get on plane at 2,000 RPMs will depend on a number of factors, such as the weight and distribution of passengers and gear, the condition of the boat's hull and propeller, and the current water conditions. It's difficult to say with certainty whether your boat will be able to get on plane at this RPM range, as every boat is different and there are many variables that can affect performance.

Thank you Puck-n-fish! I suspect the same but only true time will tell.

Do you have the 150 or 115? Also what prop are you running?
I'm running a Suzuki 140 with the 14 X 21 stock aluminum prop. This set up tops out at 6000 rpm. It will feel weird slogging around at 2000 rpm for sure.

Last edited:
If you're going for the lowest possible planning speed, weight distribution, trim tabs, and a 4 blade prop are key. The 4 blade prop will lift the stern and help it plane out sooner. 2,000 rpm is low and i suspect you won't get a nice ride at that RPM, but if you get everything set up correctly, this hull will stay on plane at fairly slow speeds.

It's apples to oranges, but my 1800 with a 115-E-tec will comfortably plane around 18 mph. I have a trolling motor, anchor, and 3 big batteries mounted up front and the 2-stroke E-tec engine is relatively light.

Thanks for all the replies. I've completed my 10 hour break-in on this new motor. I was NOT able to get on plane at 2K, but once I was up on plane & near the end of the 10 hour break-in period, I was able to cruise comfortably at 30-35MPH around ~42-45 RPMs while achieving 4-4.5 MPG. It is amazing the gas difference between my old 150 2-stroke and this 150 4-stroke. My first 7 hours I put on 66 miles and only touched a 1/4 tank. Now at 11.5 hours and over 100 miles i've only gone through 1/2 a tank (60 gallons). I am confident I could improve on that as well if I didn't have to work the throttle up & down a bunch. The down size is the motor is heavier & the scuppers will pull in a tiny bit of water, but nothing that has me concerned. I've had 2 - 250lb guys stand 12" in front of the motor just to see how much water comes in, and it is very little, but def more than my older motor. There will also never be a reason to have 2- 250lb guys standing shoulder to shoulder directly in front of the engine either.

All in all, I am very happy with this upgrade!

One issue that became apparent after my repower was the integrity of the steering assembly. At right around 10 hours my steering cable broke. I credit that to the extra torque of the new motor exposing the weak cable. Fortunately, it broke as I was coming off plane. Replaced with a Teleflex Extreme NFB and it feels solid once again. Mine was original so it was due anyway.

Thanks Puck-n-Fish. I actually had my cable replaced with hydraulic steering last year. I now have 2 finger steering vs. 1-2 hand steering. The Edison knob also works wonders!

Back