Planning to add hydraulic steering

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhr3

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 2520 MVSC with a notch transom holding a 200 Merc. Someday the Merc will go but for now it does fine. The boat seems to have a manual steering system and I am thinking of upgrading to hydraulic. Anyone have comments or expierence with the upgrades? Looks pretty easy but I have been fooled in the past.

Norm

nhr3":1f7jg65d said:
Anyone have comments or expierence with the upgrades? Looks pretty easy but I have been fooled in the past.

Norm
Very easy! When I did my first one 10 years ago I did it in about 2 hours or less, once the old system was removed that is.

You're in luck! CBIGMA and I here are going to upgrade his cable-steered mod-V 2520 to hydraulics. We can help guide you and hopefully even save you money on the purchase. Stay tuned ... or PM me.

I hope you guys will be taking lots of pics, that might be something I have to go through in the next couple of years :)

-- Tom

DaleH":1xijkkhb said:
You're in luck! CBIGMA and I here are going to upgrade his cable-steered mod-V 2520 to hydraulics. We can help guide you and hopefully even save you money on the purchase.

A ClassicParker winter project, complete with a "how-to" guide and photographs...
It just doesn't get much better than that! :wink:

Thanks any pointers will be appreciated. I have been quite successful with Ebay in the past and they are listing a few new Sea star systems now at decent mark downs. This does not mean I am not open to other sources. I have to do some measuring but it would seem what I need is a front mount system not a side mount. My plan is to pull the boat this Sunday and start measuring and ordering for the tabs and steering mods. I have already purchased the Navman Fuel Flow meter and transducer and am looking at used radar systems. I may not have as much time as I have had in the past for earning a living as I have in the past. Those folks with he high end executive jets will just have to stand in line. Time to work on boats instead.

Norm

DaleH":3knt3yzc said:
You're in luck! CBIGMA and I here are going to upgrade his cable-steered mod-V 2520 to hydraulics. We can help guide you and hopefully even save you money on the purchase. Stay tuned ... or PM me.

Hmm.. FishFactory has given me food for thought. I now need to consider No-Feedback Cable as a replacement for Direct Cable instead of a complete overhaul to hydaulic. :?

I like the quick response of cable, the "directly-connected" reliability, and the absence of pumps, hoses, fluids and bleeder valves. If I can cancel the torque effects of high-speed steering, and avoid hydraulics, I would probably opt for no-feedback cable system. Simpler is usually better. :lol:

Is hydraulic steering noticeably slower and less responsive than cable? I have enough trouble mauvering in tight quarters as it is...."slushy" steering could be problem for me. :(

All I'm really trying to do is get the Admiral more time at the Helm, and she has issues with torque when we get up to cruising speed. 8)

IMHO, hydraulic steering isn't a necessity on a single. I put a Teleflex NFB cable system on my old 20' Grady with a single 150 Merc and it was a breeze to operate with just one finger..

Now that I have to swing a pair of 225s, I'm glad I have hydraulic though.

One thing I don't see mentioned very ofter is on a notch transom boat, the cable steering will give you a much cleaner installation with less clutter at the business end.

The NFB is also accomplished entirely at the helm end. So, if you decide to go that route, all you would have to do is swap the helm. :)

gw204":1wr2y8lh said:
IMHO, hydraulic steering isn't a necessity on a single......... One thing I don't see mentioned very ofter is on a notch transom boat, the cable steering will give you a much cleaner installation with less clutter at the business end.

Good point Brian, I have a single on a notch transom, and from what I have been hearing for my application, NFB deserves serious consideration as an alternative to hydraulic.

Maybe I should just put in the NFB and do a conversion to larger tabs as my "spring project" instead of hydraulic steering. 8)

So many projects, so little time.............. :lol:

cbigma":1mm04qjy said:
Maybe I should just put in the NFB and do a conversion to larger tabs as my "spring project" instead of hydraulic steering.
John:

That sounds like a GREAT idea :) !

Back