Powering a 2501.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axeboat

Reaction score
Hey guys so here is the deal,, I am going to buy a 2501 and re power. Since I’m starting fresh and plan on having this boat and platform for years resale isn’t a big issue for me. I want to use a single motor and because of my mechanic I wanted to stay with Honda. Here is the problem, Honda only goes up to 250 hp. This is what I would expect the boat to be able to do, take me and another person on 50/60 mile runs to the shipping lanes troll all day and then come back. Fully loaded let’s assume I’m at 6000 pounds. I do not in anyway care about top speed, or instantly getting on plain, 30 cruising and maybe a top end of 35 is more than enough for me. If it’s out of the question I can go Yamaha and go bigger I just really really don’t want to change mechanics. To me they are worth more than any motor!

Gotcha, yea everyone I spoke to said it was just too little, I think I’m going to switch to Suzuki and that will solve my problems, now I wonder if I should go with 300 or just bite the bullet and go 350, that wouldn’t be over powering right? And what about this torque stead issue?

that wouldn’t be over powering right? And what about this torque stead issue?

What does the CG yellow tag say for HP on the boat? It's "torque Steer".

It doesn't happen with hyd steering. You do know that a Suzzy 350 has a prop setup like a Volvo Duraprop.....Right? it has 2 props on it.....Then spin opposite of one another to stop any kind of torque steer.

The Suzzy 300 is plenty for that boat. When reffering to the Suzzy 300....You need to be specific.
There is a DF300AP....[what I had]......and now the DF300B

You will find the DF300B listed in the brochure below.....It's the same as the 300A....But has the foot of the DF350 [twin counter rotating props]

http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/Marine/Brochures/2020/95021-Suzuki-SZ_350A web.pdf

Ok after further thought and research I’m going to go for it and put twin Suzuki 200’s on her, anyone power similar to that? Top speed? Cruise? Gph? Mph?

Is this a bracketed boat? Typically brackets are designed for either singles or twins. You can't put twins on a single OB designed bracket.

Ok after further thought and research I’m going to go for it and put twin Suzuki 200’s on her, anyone power similar to that? Top speed? Cruise? Gph? Mph?

i have twin zuk 200s on my 2501. long cruise, loaded/light = 4000rpm-30/32 1.6mpg, 4200rpm 33/34 1.5mpg, fast cruise 4500=35/38 1.4mpg, wot right at 50mph.

in general, she goes very well.

DF200's are now Big Inline 4 cylinder engines....Use to be there was a V-6 200 and a inline 200. The inline being lighter weight and the V6 having more torque.

Now you need to decide "Which" DF 200.......there are 3. :)

If i was looking at what your wanting....It would be DF200AP's [they are fly by wire]
If you have Not had fly by wire...then you don't know the joys of operating one. No more beating on the controls to fine adjust the RPM because of the excess friction in the cables.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/Marine/Brochures/2019/SZ_150-175-200- A-AP.pdf

What does the CG yellow tag say for HP on the boat? It's "torque Steer".

It doesn't happen with hyd steering. You do know that a Suzzy 350 has a prop setup like a Volvo Duraprop.....Right? it has 2 props on it.....Then spin opposite of one another to stop any kind of torque steer.

The Suzzy 300 is plenty for that boat. When reffering to the Suzzy 300....You need to be specific.
There is a DF300AP....[what I had]......and now the DF300B

You will find the DF300B listed in the brochure below.....It's the same as the 300A....But has the foot of the DF350 [twin counter rotating props]

http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/Marine/Brochures/2020/95021-Suzuki-SZ_350A web.pdf
Is that why Parker would not sell a 25 ft with a single 350 V8 Yamaha? They told me it performed poorly.

2501 owner here. Twin Yammie I-4 200's. Fly by wire - I agree they are amazing to work with instead of cables. Here are my numbers. I run stainless 4 blade props 18 1/4" x 15" pitch (I think). No bottom paint.

Loaded heavy for offshore day and reasonable seas - 3500 rpm; 25 mph; 2.1mpg - 4000 rpm 29 mph; 1.9 mpg - 4500 rpm 35 mph; 1.8 mpg - WOT 5800rpm 45 mph; 1.3 mpg. FWIW...on my offshore trolling days I ALWAYS average 2.0 mpg out, trolling, and back. 140 mile days I'll use 70 gallons almost to the drop. Easy to figure gas for the day that way. With 156 gallon tank, I'll use half tank roughly. Plenty to spare.

Family days (loaded moderately and decent seas/smooth seas) - 3500 rpm; 27 mph; 2.4 mpg - 4000 rpm; 31 mph; 2.1 mpg - 4500 rpm; 37 mph; 1.9 mpg; WOT 5900 rpm; 48 mph; 1.4 mpg

I propped down my motors from factory 3 bladed because I wanted to turn a little higher rpms and take advantage of my motors' torque curves. It's a new boat. Yes, lower top speed and I lost about 0.1 mpg but easy on plane, easier staying on plane, easier to keep plane in rough seas while going slower, etc. Much more stern lift. I rarely use my trim tabs unless I'm really into a head sea. So, your props make a huge difference depending on what motor/motors you run on that hull.

I personally would never run a single engine on this hull unless it was maybe Yammie's new 425. Anything less and I would not think it would have reserve power to get you home in dicey conditions. I know there are a ton of 2501's out there with twin 150's and I'm sure that is (marginally) ok for this hull if propped right. However, Too many times I've been out and needed some extra oomph to get through a heavy sea to stay on plane and not have to baby the throttle all the way back in 50 miles. Plus, 2 engines...redundancy....safety....yada yada. I do think the 200's with the V6 configuration would be better for this hull with more torque. Staying on plane in heavy seas is sometimes troublesome since the hull will beat you up at anything more than about 18-20 kts if you're fighting choppy 3-4+ ft seas. Must slow way down and keeping on plane at rpms lower than 3300 is sometimes tough. The torque curve starts a bit higher.....Anyway, with the 4 blade props I've largely solved that and it's so much better in those conditions.

Bottom line, it's a great hull! Tons of space and drifting/anchoring/trolling there are few finer boats. Love ours but mind your throttle in 3-4+ ft choppy seas or it'll beat you up a bit. Parkers are very seaworthy and simple safe boats but speed demons they are not.

i have twin zuk 200s on my 2501. long cruise, loaded/light = 4000rpm-30/32 1.6mpg, 4200rpm 33/34 1.5mpg, fast cruise 4500=35/38 1.4mpg, wot right at 50mph.

update:

was out and remembered to check live.
i definitely have V6s with 3x.16x.18.5 props and analog controls.

more like 40 at 4500 and the red light starts to come on right at 6000 r at gps and waze 50mph.

i may be under estimating some, but i’m not seeing anything close to 2mpg at cruise like others are stating. maybe that’s the v6 difference?

and i also never find the need to use the trim tabs to manage sea state. engine tilt/trim is always plenty.

18 1/4" x 15" pitch (I think).

You have them turned around.....Diameter is 15in X 18 1/4 pitch

The Suzzy's will spin a 16in Diameter prop due to it's gear ratio.

Hey guys so here is the deal,, I am going to buy a 2501 and re power. Since I’m starting fresh and plan on having this boat and platform for years resale isn’t a big issue for me. I want to use a single motor and because of my mechanic I wanted to stay with Honda. Here is the problem, Honda only goes up to 250 hp. This is what I would expect the boat to be able to do, take me and another person on 50/60 mile runs to the shipping lanes troll all day and then come back. Fully loaded let’s assume I’m at 6000 pounds. I do not in anyway care about top speed, or instantly getting on plain, 30 cruising and maybe a top end of 35 is more than enough for me. If it’s out of the question I can go Yamaha and go bigger I just really really don’t want to change mechanics. To me they are worth more than any motor!
I have a 1987 Parker 25’ CC and I just repowered with a 2021 Mercury 300.
It has can push it about 43 mph at about 5800rpm.
It is more than enough power for my application.

I will say that the possible draw back is that the boat has only 80 gallon fuel capacity.
This is not a problem as I use it on the bay.

hope this helps

2501 owner here. Twin Yammie I-4 200's. Fly by wire - I agree they are amazing to work with instead of cables. Here are my numbers. I run stainless 4 blade props 18 1/4" x 15" pitch (I think). No bottom paint.

Loaded heavy for offshore day and reasonable seas - 3500 rpm; 25 mph; 2.1mpg - 4000 rpm 29 mph; 1.9 mpg - 4500 rpm 35 mph; 1.8 mpg - WOT 5800rpm 45 mph; 1.3 mpg. FWIW...on my offshore trolling days I ALWAYS average 2.0 mpg out, trolling, and back. 140 mile days I'll use 70 gallons almost to the drop. Easy to figure gas for the day that way. With 156 gallon tank, I'll use half tank roughly. Plenty to spare.

Family days (loaded moderately and decent seas/smooth seas) - 3500 rpm; 27 mph; 2.4 mpg - 4000 rpm; 31 mph; 2.1 mpg - 4500 rpm; 37 mph; 1.9 mpg; WOT 5900 rpm; 48 mph; 1.4 mpg

I propped down my motors from factory 3 bladed because I wanted to turn a little higher rpms and take advantage of my motors' torque curves. It's a new boat. Yes, lower top speed and I lost about 0.1 mpg but easy on plane, easier staying on plane, easier to keep plane in rough seas while going slower, etc. Much more stern lift. I rarely use my trim tabs unless I'm really into a head sea. So, your props make a huge difference depending on what motor/motors you run on that hull.

I personally would never run a single engine on this hull unless it was maybe Yammie's new 425. Anything less and I would not think it would have reserve power to get you home in dicey conditions. I know there are a ton of 2501's out there with twin 150's and I'm sure that is (marginally) ok for this hull if propped right. However, Too many times I've been out and needed some extra oomph to get through a heavy sea to stay on plane and not have to baby the throttle all the way back in 50 miles. Plus, 2 engines...redundancy....safety....yada yada. I do think the 200's with the V6 configuration would be better for this hull with more torque. Staying on plane in heavy seas is sometimes troublesome since the hull will beat you up at anything more than about 18-20 kts if you're fighting choppy 3-4+ ft seas. Must slow way down and keeping on plane at rpms lower than 3300 is sometimes tough. The torque curve starts a bit higher.....Anyway, with the 4 blade props I've largely solved that and it's so much better in those conditions.

Bottom line, it's a great hull! Tons of space and drifting/anchoring/trolling there are few finer boats. Love ours but mind your throttle in 3-4+ ft choppy seas or it'll beat you up a bit. Parkers are very seaworthy and simple safe boats but speed demons they are not.
Awesome thank you for the info, I am going with twin Suzuki 200’s fly by wire, boat has a 200 gallon tank so if I get right around that magic 2 mpg combined on my offshore days that will give me plenty of range and safety net,

25 inch motors right? The only time the deep V needs a 30 is if there is a center mount motor?

I have a 25 se cc with a 300 yamaha 4 stroke imo not enough power need to run 4600 with 5 people to go 22 to 24 knots

Back