Proper Trim Tab Bolts and Anodes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfbushjr

Reaction score
The previous owner of this boat used some pretty long bolts to attach the anodes. It doesn't look right to me. Any advice on what should have been used? Also, the previous owner was in saltwater whereas I'm in freshwater, do I even really need anodes on my tabs? I don't recall seeing them on my previous Parker.

IMG_9037.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

The previous owner of this boat used some pretty long bolts to attach the anodes. It doesn't look right to me. Any advice on what should have been used? Also, the previous owner was in saltwater whereas I'm in freshwater, do I even really need anodes on my tabs? I don't recall seeing them on my previous Parker.

View attachment 26643

View attachment 26644
Yes the bolts are too long.... Cut and file smooth.... Is your boat docked/moored in the water? Is it trailered, and/or stored on a lift/dry dock? Is it 'wet' only a couple hours a day? week? month?
I was going to write a TMI response! ☺... But this 'snip' below may help.... Yes, you still need anodes in fresh water (but fresh water is less of an electrolyte than salt water; less minerals). But if you trailer the boat and/or keep it on a lift or dry-stack, and the boat is in the water only a couple hours a month, then it's less important. If anything other than that scenario anodes are recommended.....

1604530698299.png

Last edited:
I use half of the anodes and put the bolt in from the bottom with the anode on top of the trim tab. When that one wears out I take the nut out and use my vise and press the nut into the other half and remount the new again on top.

Yes the bolts are too long.... Cut and file smooth.... Is your boat docked/moored in the water? Is it trailered, and/or stored on a lift/dry dock? Is it 'wet' only a couple hours a day? week? month?
I was going to write a TMI response! ☺... But this 'snip' below may help.... Yes, you still need anodes in fresh water (but fresh water is less of an electrolyte than salt water; less minerals). But if you trailer the boat and/or keep it on a lift or dry-stack, and the boat is in the water only a couple hours a month, then it's less important. If anything other than that scenario anodes are recommended.....

View attachment 26645
Thanks Andy for the reply. Yes I keep it in the water all summer long. That being the case I'll keep them on but cut the bolt length down.

Change them out....Clean the trim tab to get a proper electrical connection.....And YOU want magnesium anodes on it now for freshwater.

Zinc is used for Saltwater.

Do your research if you don't think I'm correct.

Change them out....Clean the trim tab to get a proper electrical connection.....And YOU want magnesium anodes on it now for freshwater.

Thanks for the advice Warthog5, I'll get some of the magnesium type on order and change them out this off season.

So why has the US Navy switched over to Aluminum?

Be ready to pay more for magnesium ones. And depending on where you go, you might have to order them.

Back