Properly bleeding the steering system on a dual helm 2820 Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

247fishing

Reaction score
I looked and couldn't find the proper way of bleeding the system. I have gathered to use the Seastar fluid and I'm not sure what the steering system has in it which is another reason to change it and bleed the system.

right now while cursing the steering system is not reactive unless you quickly move the steering wheel so after a quick test run this year I'd like to flush out the old fluid and replace with Seastar fluid.

Does anyone have experience or can point men in the right direction on how to properly bleed a system with outside steering?

This boat also has an autopilot and seems to not work the smoothest as well causing the boat to jerk around slightly so I don't use it.

I bought this 2820 a few months ago so going through it so its safe and operates the way it should. Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 10
I looked and couldn't find the proper way of bleeding the system. I have gathered to use the Seastar fluid and I'm not sure what the steering system has in it which is another reason to change it and bleed the system.

right now while cursing the steering system is not reactive unless you quickly move the steering wheel so after a quick test run this year I'd like to flush out the old fluid and replace with Seastar fluid.

Does anyone have experience or can point men in the right direction on how to properly bleed a system with outside steering?

This boat also has an autopilot and seems to not work the smoothest as well causing the boat to jerk around slightly so I don't use it.

I bought this 2820 a few months ago so going through it so its safe and operates the way it should. Appreciate the help!
Hi 247 fishing, I'm not trying to promote my Parker Youtube Channel, but I know I can help you with the steering/bleeding issue. I have done a lot of systems.... I posted three short videos on how simple it is to bleed the hydraulic steering on our duel-station Parker. If these videos don't help, I am happy to personally step you through the entire process. You can call me, and or email me..... If you are in eastern NC, you can dock at my home, and I will do it for you!..
EDIT: whoops, sorry, I just saw you are in Soanoma County, which I guess is not near NC..... still, if interested, I am happy to step you through the process.

(3) Parker 2520 SeaStar Bleeding (#3), Bubble Purge Pro - YouTube
(3) Parker 2520 SeaStar Steering Bleed (#2), Bubble Purge Pro - YouTube
(3) Parker 2520 SeaStar Steering Bleed (#1), Bubble Purge Pro - YouTube

Last edited:
Do you have the boat down here at west coast? Or is it up north? A power purge is your best friend, there is one forsale on the hulltruth right now. It’s the only reliable way in my opinion to get all the air out of your system.

if the boats down here I can see if my buddy is willing to let you borrow his. It only takes about 45 mins to bleed all the air out of your entire system and flush all the lines too.

Do you have the boat down here at west coast? Or is it up north? A power purge is your best friend, there is one forsale on the hulltruth right now. It’s the only reliable way in my opinion to get all the air out of your system.

if the boats down here I can see if my buddy is willing to let you borrow his. It only takes about 45 mins to bleed all the air out of your entire system and flush all the lines too.

very nice of you to offer. I’m up in Sonoma county unfortunately

Hi 247 fishing, I'm not trying to promote my Parker Youtube Channel, but I know I can help you with the steering/bleeding issue. I have done a lot of systems.... I posted three short videos on how simple it is to bleed the hydraulic steering on our duel-station Parker. If these videos don't help, I am happy to personally step you through the entire process. You can call me, and or email me..... If you are in eastern NC, you can dock at my home, and I will do it for you!..
EDIT: whoops, sorry, I just saw you are in Soanoma County, which I guess is not near NC..... still, if interested, I am happy to step you through the process.

Thank you and what good support! I’ll watch your videos to gain some knowledge. Once I’m confident I can do it I’ll go for it.
Anyone have an idea how many quarts a system like mine Will take of sea star fluid?

Hey Andy,

You don't seem to connect or bleed the second rear station? Also according to SeaStar, if there is an autopilot you need to turn it on, make a few turns, so that too can get bled out. About to bleed my system and trying to find the best way without having to take to dealer or use their Power Purge. Thanks!

Hey Andy,

You don't seem to connect or bleed the second rear station? Also according to SeaStar, if there is an autopilot you need to turn it on, make a few turns, so that too can get bled out. About to bleed my system and trying to find the best way without having to take to dealer or use their Power Purge. Thanks!
Hi SeaSeven, You are correct; you do not need to, and you should not bleed from the second station. (IF your second station helm is lower than your main steering station, which is usually the case). When bleeding any hydraulic steering system, and when there is more than one station, you should only bleed from the 'one' highest station. Think like a SCUBA diver watching his air bubbles; they will always 'go up', same for the air bubbles in the hydraulic system; they will always seek the high place)... But, the more 'stuff' in the steering system (Autopilots. Power-assist. Second stations, etc) makes for more places where the air bubbles can 'hide'. So having the autopilot on, (and power-assist on) helps to extract possibly hidden air bubbles..... I just last week re-bled a buddies system for him. After activating the power-assisted steering, we 'found' more bubbles.

Hi SeaSeven, You are correct; you do not need to, and you should not bleed from the second station. (IF your second station helm is lower than your main steering station, which is usually the case). When bleeding any hydraulic steering system, and when there is more than one station, you should only bleed from the 'one' highest station. Think like a SCUBA diver watching his air bubbles; they will always 'go up', same for the air bubbles in the hydraulic system; they will always seek the high place)... But, the more 'stuff' in the steering system (Autopilots. Power-assist. Second stations, etc) makes for more places where the air bubbles can 'hide'. So having the autopilot on, (and power-assist on) helps to extract possibly hidden air bubbles..... I just last week re-bled a buddies system for him. After activating the power-assisted sring, we 'found' more bubbles.

Gotcha. Thanks for that. But unfortunately my second rear helm is leveled with the house helm and has AP. I may need to just drag the boat to the shop to use their Power Purge.

Gotcha. Thanks for that. But unfortunately my second rear helm is leveled with the house helm and has AP. I may need to just drag the boat to the shop to use their Power Purge.
I've bled a number of systems where the two helms appeared to be nearly level, and/or were level, and we had success with those. (The ones on our 2013/2014 Parker 2520 are nearly the same height; our second station is Not the one that mounts to the cabin; it's the one that's on the starboard side, 'free-standing' )....
What equipment and/or bleeding system are you using? I will say, some boats take a lot longer to bleed than others. Depends on the length of the boat, length of the hydraulic lines, how they were run, and how much extra gear is hooked to them. (A couple I've done have taken, I'd estimate, a couple hundred lock-to-lock wheel turns)....
**** One more 'hint' is to pre-check, with a clean dry paper towel, every joint and fitting on every bit of the hydraulic system that you can get your hands on.... I've had to snug up some fittings on ours, and a couple other boats. If it needs purging, often some fluid has usually leaked out, and let some air in somewhere. *****
I've never used the Power Purge, (I don't own one) nor have I witnessed one in action. But I'll bet it's a quicker way to do a purge! With a name like 'Power Purge' it sure ought to be! ☺
One reason I do some of my own maintenance like this is because here, we have only one local 'boat-repair-place'. They are very good, but VERY backed-up. I would likely have to leave the boat there for months to get service work completed. So, I started out of necessity, doing some of this stuff myself.

Last edited:
Back