Pulling Trolling Motor Wires

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that using duplex wire was helpful due its stiffness. On my 1801 and my new 2100dv I "pushed" the wires from the top of the fuel fill to the inspection plate inside the console (1801 inspection plate is in front of console). It took many tries but once it goes it goes smoothly. I kept the wires on the hull side of the fuel fill hose...seemed easier. You are trying to find an opening at the bend of the fuel fill hose. I tried a wire fish but it kept snagging. It took so many attempts that I took breaks to keep my patience. It was nice to have a few beers to celebrate when the wire went through.

I used a piece of 1/8" soft copper tubing as a snake, then pulled a piece of parachute cord with the tubing... took 5 minutes. Soft enough to bend and not tear anything but stiff enough to push. I still have not pulled the duplex but I feel like the toughest part is done. Hope I'm not mistaken! Ingenuity and luck are your best partners.

I used a piece of 1/8" soft copper tubing as a snake, then pulled a piece of parachute cord with the tubing... took 5 minutes. Soft enough to bend and not tear anything but stiff enough to push. I still have not pulled the duplex but I feel like the toughest part is done. Hope I'm not mistaken! Ingenuity and luck are your best partners.

Had not thought of the copper tubing, great idea! I wonder how it would push through with the paracord already in the tubing...

Puck-n-Fish,

Which direction did you push? From the top of fuel line channel, or from inspection port (pie plate)?

Cap'n Dan

Console to the pie plate, then pie plate toward the fill fitting. Starting inside the console, I took the 4 screws holding the plastic cover and rubber boot assembly off, lifted the whole assembly out of the way (with all the wiring still in it), and had a nice big opening in the deck to start from...not sure if that description helps any:unsure:

Console to the pie plate, then pie plate toward the fill fitting. Starting inside the console, I took the 4 screws holding the plastic cover and rubber boot assembly off, lifted the whole assembly out of the way (with all the wiring still in it), and had a nice big opening in the deck to start from...not sure if that description helps any:unsure:
Very helpful...Thanks! Will be installing a trolling motor on my 1800 in a couple of weeks - motor on order now. The soft copper tubing sounds like a pretty good trick, I will definately be trying that!

Cap'n Dan

This path for the wire pull?

Attachments

• Inkeddeck_LI.jpg
    Inkeddeck_LI.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
I have a 2300. I used the fuel vent line. I taped an old piece of garden hose to the hull side of the vent line. I then taped my 6ga duplex to the taped hose connection. I pulled the fuel vent line in to the cc. I took the duplex tape off then used the old hose to pull the fuel vent line back in to position. 10 minutes.

I have a 2300. I used the fuel vent line. I taped an old piece of garden hose to the hull side of the vent line. I then taped my 6ga duplex to the taped hose connection. I pulled the fuel vent line in to the cc. I took the duplex tape off then used the old hose to pull the fuel vent line back in to position. 10 minutes.
Now that that has got me thinking!

Cap'n Dan

This is my go-to technique as well! Use something that’s already snaked that is easily detached/reattached and pull something else along with it.

Better yet, pull another wire along with your trolling motor wires and fix it in place at the fuel chase and in the CC so that you already have a snake in place for next time and don’t need to use the fuel vent. I try to do this anytime I snake something - I always pull something extra through to leave a snake behind for next time.

Anyone ever disconnected the green ground wire from the fuel filler and used that to pull a snake wire or paracord back through?
this is exactly what i was thinking ill be trying it this week. i looked at going from the front pie plate to the fill but theres a bulkhead or somthing in my way. i can pit
fingers on it and it goes to deck

this is exactly what i was thinking ill be trying it this week. i looked at going from the front pie plate to the fill but theres a bulkhead or somthing in my way. i can pit
fingers on it and it goes to deck

From the pie plate toward the hull there is a piece of pvc pipe that the fuel fill hose & fuel vent hose run through. It is extremely tight through the pipe. I looked at removing the fuel vent hose as GMUGMU did but there is barely enough hose accessible through the pie plate to get it & the double hose clamps off the vent on the tank. However I did notice that the ground wire was free to move around. My thought was to tape 4 pieces of paracord to it. I’d use one of those to pull the ground wire back then use the other two to pull the battery cables through. I’d leave one in the chase as a spare

Sorry I am late to this but I used an electrical fish tape. It worked like a champ and it is what my friends in the industry use for trolling motor installs.

Standard fish tapes kept getting hung. Pictures of the attached are the ticket. Less than 5 minutes to snake from inside console out of the top of fuel filler chase.

Attachments

• D3958135-8FDA-45E8-B717-CBB128728FCA.jpeg
    D3958135-8FDA-45E8-B717-CBB128728FCA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • F4CCE1E1-413D-4064-B63A-517A5005A8E5.jpeg
    F4CCE1E1-413D-4064-B63A-517A5005A8E5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Back