putrid odor in my 2510 holding tank area

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmanjs

Reaction score
I have owned a this 2008 walk around for 5 years now and cannot figure out where this odor is coming from. Its only when I open the deck hatch to the holding tank. No odor comes from the other deck hatches, the one in the stern for the battery compartment or the one in the cabin. Its not inside the holding tank itself as I've tested that many times but seems to be somewhere around it. I've sprayed the foam holding the tank in place with all sorts of chemicals--to no avail. Could it be "behind" the tank where a 3" hole is cut in the bulkhead, with some cables from coming through? I am totally perplexed. And, certain times while underway, the odor creeps up and I can smell while driving the boat.

Has anyone encountered this problem or know how to eliminate? Thanks!

Get an endoscope camera and see what is down there. Only 30 bucks or so. I would have 20 gallons of water trapped in my hull if I hadn't bought one and looked under the deck.

I’ve had the same issue on my 2510. I found pumping out the holding tank, filling it with fresh water, and then pumping it out again solves the odor problem. Especially after the winter holdover when some of the pink stuff sits in there. That little tank can stink at times! I also spray mildew remover (contains diluted bleach) down there around the tank, wait, and then wipe off.

Dont forget any hoses, pumps, etc that could have some leftovers especially if given a chance to solidify. My tank has the same issue and when I get a chance I will probably replace everything as I bought the boat used and I just cant shake that odor no matter how slight.

Dont forget any hoses, pumps, etc that could have some leftovers especially if given a chance to solidify. My tank has the same issue and when I get a chance I will probably replace everything as I bought the boat used and I just cant shake that odor no matter how slight.
Good point on the hoses. Parker doesn't use 'top-shelf' hoses with the head-systems, and they are, and/or become vapor-permeable. Our last boat had two heads and an 80 gallon, stainless-steel holding tank. (I mention this because the S/S tank was not an issue; the poly tanks on a lot of boats IS part of the issue; especially the fittings, caps/ports in poly tanks). Last boat also had 'top-shelf' vapor-impermeable hoses. But, after 28 years the hoses became 'less vapor-impermeable' and we started getting a 'head-odor' in the boat. We solved the issue with an item called Hardcast Foil-Ray. Foil-Ray is a type of high-pressure duct tape. It's three-parts; a layer of thick butyl-rubber sealant; an outer covering of silver foil, and a pull-away white plastic protector; It IS vapor-impermeable. We wrapped ALL of the head discharge hoses with the Foil-Ray. There was easy access to all systems and to the hoses, but it took a LOT of tape; and it is expensive tape. Foil-Ray was available with a variety of thicknesses of the butyl. I don't know, but I believe it was the very-thick foil on the Foil-Ray that was the most beneficial for odor control. The photo below shows 'Foil-Grip', not 'Foil-Ray'... Could be Hardcast stopped making 'Ray'. I don't know.
1652535898276.png

1652535075308.png

Last edited:
Ok. Thnx guys. I'm going to try to pump it out a few times, but I haven't used it in 2 seasons. Tried everything in it....from pine sol to mixed bleach/water. I'm thinking the odor may be coming from the foam around the tank. And, just found out this week, that the "compartment" that holds the tank and foam does not drain; it was filled with water. Have no idea how to get the water out of there and dry the foam. Either its a manufacturing defect or poor design.

Ok. Thnx guys. I'm going to try to pump it out a few times, but I haven't used it in 2 seasons. Tried everything in it....from pine sol to mixed bleach/water. I'm thinking the odor may be coming from the foam around the tank. And, just found out this week, that the "compartment" that holds the tank and foam does not drain; it was filled with water. Have no idea how to get the water out of there and dry the foam. Either its a manufacturing defect or poor design.

Same thing happened on my 28. Had to remove the foam and tank. Stringers on both sides where wet too. The tank is held in with fiberglass angle pieces that are screwed into the stringers to hold the tank prior to pouring in the foam. No sealant or decoring where the screws go in. It was a totally shitty job. I didn’t cut the deck to do it but it probably would be easier. Look up “replacing holding tank” in past threads for some pics.

Same thing happened on my 28. Had to remove the foam and tank. Stringers on both sides where wet too. The tank is held in with fiberglass angle pieces that are screwed into the stringers to hold the tank prior to pouring in the foam. No sealant or decoring where the screws go in. It was a totally shitty job. I didn’t cut the deck to do it but it probably would be easier. Look up “replacing holding tank” in past threads for some pics.

sorry it was “holding tank replacement”

I have a 2005 2510. Where is the holding tank located if it has one? I bought it used not sure if it has one; I want to make sure the compartment isn’t full of water. It lists to the starboard wondering if that’s why.

I have a 2005 2510. Where is the holding tank located if it has one? I bought it used not sure if it has one; I want to make sure the compartment isn’t full of water. It lists to the starboard wondering if that’s why.

I also have a 2005 2510 WA with twin 200 HPDI’s. I have owned since new. I have not had a holding tank odor problem. The head is used on a limited bases. One I have in common wait David is my boat does list to the starboard.

Its located in the deck hatch between the seats
I assume you mean between the seats in the cabin. I don't see anything there so I don't think I have one. I also don't see a fitting on the washboard to pump it out so I think it is safe to assume its not causing my listing. Thanks FishmanJS.

While we're on the subject, I would like to purchase a portable head (I have 3 girls in the family). Can anyone recommend a brand and model that will fit in that area? Thanks in advance.

While we're on the subject, I would like to purchase a portable head (I have 3 girls in the family). Can anyone recommend a brand and model that will fit in that area? Thanks in advance.
I’ve had this one for 10 years. Works fine

Attachments

• 10C12EA6-EB90-4FDA-A894-DB404BEDE29A.png
    10C12EA6-EB90-4FDA-A894-DB404BEDE29A.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Back