QUESTION - Engine doesn't tilt out of water

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCparker

Reaction score
Was hoping to hear people's thoughts on this.

I have a 2006 23 SE with a 200 HP Yamaha four stroke.

When I tilt the motor up at the dock, I am unable to get it all the way out of the water. The bottom of the lower unit sits about 1-2 inches underwater. Have tried with the boat full of fuel, and empty, and with 600 pounds of crew standing in the bow. I just cannot get the engine that last bit out of the water.

Do you think this could cause any long term damage - I am particularly concerned about any possible electrolosys getting transmitted thru the engine. Would you worry?
Thanks.

Welcome aboard ClassicParker :) !

CCparker":3m2zm02e said:
When I tilt the motor up at the dock, I am unable to get it all the way out of the water.
This is VERY common on Yamaha motors on many boats and many transom designs, including notched transoms, euro-transoms, and even boats with OB brackets.

Bob's Machine Shop sells transom wedges that match most BIA bolt-hole OB patterns for $30 that will give you an added 5-degrees of tilt. That might just do it. See here.

trans_wedges.gif

Just note, what you will gain in extending the tilt range UP, you will also lose in your trim range DOWN. But that shouldn't be a problem, as I feel most boats have more than enough trim range, specially boats with tabs also equipped.

I am particularly concerned about any possible electrolosys getting transmitted thru the engine. Would you worry?
I wouldn't be, but cannot answer to your specific install as I can't judge how much stray electrical current there might in the area around where you moor or dock. If neighbor's boats in the area don't have problems, you probably won't either. Electrolysis would also attack the metal immersed in the electrolyte (anode to cathode [that's why your zincs (anode) lose their material to the current]) and not transmit it anywhere.

Now to your situation, the nose cones on my older brother's twin OB Yam powered Grady White sit a few inches into the water. His get a good coating of scum and growth each season. But his motors are '87 vintage and his lower units have never shown any damage, other than growth. They do make a clear anti-fouling coating, but whatever you do, make darn sure it is compatible for aluminum.

The nose of my 1997 OX66 touches the water too.
Hasn't caused an issue for me yet.

Image-028CC274616011DB.jpg

Thanks Kevin. Thats just what mine looks like as well. I usually clean the water line off once a month. Does't really bother me, just wanted to get some opinions if it was doing any harm.

I have the same problem o the 2120 when the engine sits on the tilt support lever when the rams are retracted. Had the same with a 202 scout. No corrosion at all. I use clear anti fouling on the nose cone.
Ray

Back