Radar Mounting Questions on 2120 scdv

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jday

Reaction score
I just picked up a simrad halo 20+ and want to mount it on the p/h roof. I'm looking for recommendations as to the location, height and angle of the dome.

I also have stainless planer board poles about 18" tall on either side of the roof. Would these interfere with the radar beam?

How far forward, back or just in the middle works best on these boats?

Thanks for any help

John

I just picked up a simrad halo 20+ and want to mount it on the p/h roof. I'm looking for recommendations as to the location, height and angle of the dome.

I also have stainless planer board poles about 18" tall on either side of the roof. Would these interfere with the radar beam?

How far forward, back or just in the middle works best on these boats?

Thanks for any help

John
Hi Jday, No, the planer-board posts will not interfere with the radar signal, even if mounted the same height. (I have a dozen videos posted that will back that up).... Nor do the two antennas, rod holders, and other rods and posts interfere; I don't know how or why, I just know that they don't...
1616546077642.png
Please send more information (and pictures) of your planer board poles/posts. You are the first CP'er that I ever remember mentioning them. Are they similar to ours, as shown in the above photo? Are they mounted in the same location?
Although our radar works great for our needs, it is not mounted on a post, and is not slanted. (it's how it came when we bought the boat). Most folks will recommend a S/S mount with a 4 degree forward slant. (Is that correct? 4 degree?). Mount it as far forward as is practical, and higher is better, unless the 'air-draft' is an issue.... Most radar manufactures recommend the forward slant on a planing-hull boats. But, our radar, being mounted far forward on the roof, with no forward slant, still picks up everything, even when the boat is on plane.

Thanks Andy, when it stops raining here I'll take a pic of the planer mounts. They are similar to yours but home made.

What I have read so far is 6" forward mount with 4 degree tilt.

What do you use your planer boards for? Mine are mainly for Spring and sometimes Fall Rockfishing (striped bass).

Thanks Andy, when it stops raining here I'll take a pic of the planer mounts. They are similar to yours but home made.

What do you use your planer boards for? Mine are mainly for Spring and sometimes Fall Rockfishing (striped bass).
Hi Jday, I bought our Parker up in Northern Neck Va, when it was a couple years old. The first owner installed the planer-board-posts, and used planer boards for Rock fishing. I am relatively new to fishing, and so far have not used planer boards (in fact, I don't think I would know how to use them). I mostly fish the Pungo River, Pamlico River, Pamlico/Albemarle sounds and surrounding waters. I've never seen nor heard of anyone using planers boards around here; I've been told the watersr are too shallow to use them; I don't know enough about it to know if that is true, or not!

Jday, the 6” height mount seems pretty standard, as does the 4 degree down angle. What direction you want the mount itself to lead (aft, forward, or straight up) is up to your sense of aesthetics. Most people seem to go with the aft leaning mount to match the aft rake of the pilothouse windshield, but I’ve seen good looking forward mounts as well. Battlewagon is usually the mount of choice, followed by Scanstrut.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have purchased a Battlewagon 6" 4 degree forward facing. My reasoning is to allow the radar the least obstructed forward view as possible. I hope to install it by May, but sometimes the plans don't work out. When I do I'll post a couple of pics

Andy, here are a couple of pics of my planer board posts. These came with the boat and were home made. They do work great. ACtC-3e_cPg8j2qORmn2W_5SPknwqo6lNJt21liu2m6shDVoTadflAxMze-trX6Fyqo7VxWfJeHWPTOXBGuhC70SpUmH4q...jpgACtC-3e12MDb4YKD1Fb8BRJC6loJ-Q3LUDHI3287fFgAi3PzsbfttIv4ptASQrma_KgxBC6PkW4KFGACbzqBiPWyyZFBCX...jpg

Andy, here are a couple of pics of my planer board posts. These came with the boat and were home made. They do work great. View attachment 28451View attachment 28452
Hi Jday, You are a man of your word!!.. thank you for remembering to show me pictures of your planer-board posts... I see they are mounted farther back on the roof, closer to the cockpit than ours. It seems to me that is a more convenient location.... I also can see they added an additional 'brace' from the post to the hand rail; looks like a good way to add some strength to the set-up... (is it true that it is best to use planer-boards in deep water?.... I was told the waters where we are might be too shallow)...

Last edited:
Andy, we use the planers in water from about 20' and deeper, Chesapeake Bay. They spread the lures out and allow you to use more rods. Though many people use them all summer, I only use them in the Spring when the fish are spread out and higher in the water column.
The brace does add a lot of strength to the poles. The planers can add a lot of stress to the poles.

Back