Rehabbing my 1988 pilothouse

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice job on the restoration. Nicely installed fuel tank ..... foamed-in and glassed as it should be!

One suggestion...... those bolts used to secure the outrigger bases to the cabin canopy ..... there's a lot of thread exposed inside the cabin and apparently over top a place where someone might be sitting. That could cause a major head injury. Cut the exposed threads off and use a castle nut to cover the threads.

GoodChance":2lkpcxn2 said:
Cut the exposed threads off and use a castle nut to cover the threads.

Attachments

• DSCN0010.jpeg
    DSCN0010.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 84
Wow...nice work. No such thing as posting too many pics. Personally I enjoyed looking over your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 1988 2520 Sou'wester in November 2020 , currently trying to figure a few things out about the boat. I'm very interested in all you're projects , I have no idea how large the fuel tank is in my boat or how the stringers are laid out, electrical, etc. hopefully I can figure out to follow you're projects, still figuring out how to navigate this site LOL

I have the same boat but with the 1989 Hull. Congratulations. you bought a highly sought after hull that could last a long time.

I am currently having the cockpit deck replaced, and subsequently, now also the fuel tank. I have a great marina and mechanical tema doing the work, because I am not fond of doing glass work. Biggest issue you will have with that boat is if the bilge was not taken care of or hatched through the deck leak. These Hulls have a lot of foam fill in them and much of that fill was done with open celled foam. Over time, if water gets in it saturates the foam and rots the wood that the deck was made from. I am having the entire cockpit deck replaced with coosa board and they are covering all wooden surfaces in the Hull with fiberglass.

When they were cutting out some rotten wood, they noticed some fuel in the foam and a tiny leak in the 30 year old aluminum tank. So we are having one made and installed as well. No point in covering up a 30 year old tank. New tank is being made in NJ and is being made of the Parker Drawings for this Hull.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance so you can see what they Hull looks like without the deck.

Another thing that you will need to do is seal the pilot house connection to the Hull every few years. Its an all day job but I have one of my kids in the cabin with a wrench and I thank out every screw on the top side, shoot some 5200 into the hole and then put the screw back in and tighten it up. I also seal where the pilot house sits on the hull to help keep water out of there as well.

Good luck with your new boat.

Back