Removing Old Parker Decal and Pin Stripes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMUGMU

Reaction score
I used a 3M decal remover wheel. It worked well at removing the vinyl. It did leave most of the adhesive. Some elbow grease and goo b gone is removing the adhesive. However, the edges of the parker logo and the pin stripes is still there. It is a raised line at the edge of the pin stripe and parker letters. Are there any tricks out there to remove this? Thanks

That's most likely the gelcoat that was beneath the decals having been protected from the elements, while the gelcoat that was exposed around it oxidized and degraded over the years. Your best bet it to wet sand the area to remove them. However, that will lead to that area being brighter/shinier than the rest of the hull… depending on how particular you are about it, you may end up wet sanding the entire hull to get it to match (which is a lot more work, but will get you a much better product in the end if done correctly).

Try a plastic single edge razor blade
Will do Brent. The raised edge can be felt from above and below the edge of the old pin stripe. There is also a little color left from the pin stripe. Im going to try a little heat from the heat gun as well.

Will do Brent. The raised edge can be felt from above and below the edge of the old pin stripe. There is also a little color left from the pin stripe. Im going to try a little heat from the heat gun as well.
I just did the same job a month ago. All you need is a heat gun. First use painters tape so you'll be able to position the new decal EXACTLY where the old one was. Then start at one end and get it hot, almost too hot to touch. You'll be able to work the whole decal right off if you get the heat just right. Lastly take a strong solvent, like 90% rubbing alcohol, to remove the residual adhesive. Then place your new decals right on top of where the old ones were.

Roger that. I'll add rubbing alcohol to the arsenal

After heat use acetone on a rag to remove the residue. It will require a bit of rubbing and usually three applications to get it all off. Wear gloves and work in a ventilated area.

I have acetone and will try it. At this point all I am left with is the raised edges on the pinstripes. Progress

My 2801 had a previous boat name on the hull that was removed prior to my purchase. This name became visible at about the time the hull needed another wax job. Once waxed, the name disappeared. It took about 3-4 good wax jobs for the name to fully disappear and not return. Time, and a few wax jobs, and the logo will disappear. This off course is if you are not putting new decals back on.

I will be giving boat a new name. Not sure that I will replace parker logos

Yeah, if the raised edge you're dealing with is leftover adhesive or vinyl, further solvent work and/or scraping should take care of it.

I just pulled off the decals on my 1700, and I ended up with a profile in the gelcoat surface. I'll probably be replacing the decals anyway, so it's not a big deal for me. And if I don't, I don't see it as a big enough deal to have to recondition the entire hull to remove them.

All you need is a heat gun an new razor, it will peel right off. Mark some points if you are replacing the decals. Anything else just use some cleaner wax, pretty simple and straight forward

Nothing will completely remove the Parker logo and pinstripe ghosting. Acetone, wet sanding......nothing except time/exposure to UV after de-waxing the entire area. We are talking about year or more. I have taken the logos off new Parkers and older ones as well. Newer hulls take less time.

I typically leave the logo/pinstripe on the boat until it becomes unsightly from dock-rash then I remove all of it and leave it off. Boat looks good without it IMO.

Last edited:
I have now tried heat, goobgone and acetone. The edges of the pin stripes will not come off. Wet sanding is my last option. :(

Can you post pictures of what you are talking about? Is part of the pinstripe still there, or is it just the gel coat that was under the pin stripe?

Nothing will completely remove the Parker logo and pinstripe ghosting. Acetone, wet sanding......nothing except time/exposure to UV after de-waxing the entire area. We are talking about year or more. I have taken the logos off new Parkers and older ones as well. Newer hulls take less time.

I typically leave the logo/pinstripe on the boat until it becomes unsightly from dock-rash then I remove all of it and leave it off. Boat looks good without it IMO.
I had the same thought after I pulled off the decals; especially with the white ETEC, the boat looks very clean without the pinstripe and logo. I may have to reconsider putting them back on...

Back