Removing Old Parker Decal and Pin Stripes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you post pictures of what you are talking about? Is part of the pinstripe still there, or is it just the gel coat that was under the pin stripe?
I'll get a good pic this evening

This is what I use to remove decals and pinstripes. You can get it at most professional automotive paint supply stores. It takes it right off with medium pressure. Don't burn the surface of the material........keep it moving.

This is what a 2016 hull looks like after de-wax, acetone wash and wet sand........and 6 months of 2 hrs a day sun exposure. Still has a ways to go to get the area under the logo to fade.

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpeg
    IMG_1359.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1358.jpeg
    IMG_1358.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Can you post pictures of what you are talking about? Is part of the pinstripe still there, or is it just the gel coat that was under the pin stripe?
This is what I'm left with. Nothing I have tried is working. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Parker Pin Stripe1 (2).jpg
    Parker Pin Stripe1 (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • Parker Pin Stripe2 (2).jpg
    Parker Pin Stripe2 (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Does it feel tacky? Can you feel that residue on the surface, or does it seem to be level with the gel coat? On my boat those lines were what remained of the adhesive. I removed it be vigorously rubbing it with a rag soaked in acetone. I’m wondering if it is something else on your boat.

Old decal / stripes will come off with FSR (fiberglass stain remover). So easy

981EA096-9726-4AF5-8FDD-43E8818F94A2.jpeg

This is what I'm left with. Nothing I have tried is working. Thanks for any advice.
Looks like adhesive. Secret is naptha ( paint thinner ) dissolves the goo. Small amount will buff off but more than a bit here and there will require removal first. The oven cleaner will attack the gel coat if not used carefully. We used stuff like that to burn of old oxidation. On that point more often than not the gel coat under the stripe will be proud of surrounding area being protected while the rest of the boat oxides and sloughs off. If you find that to be a cosmetic issue you can block it with NORTON 1200 grit wet. The Norton grit worked best for me compared to other company's. Make sure you put lube in the water. i prefer palmolive dish soap. I use blue bar compound for great one step results

UPDATE: Acetone was the answer. My first method was flawed. This time, I kept a small rag wet with acetone. I continued to keep the pin stripe wet in front of me and the problem cleaned right up. It was a lot of effort but all is well. All I am left with now is the ghosting. I am going to compound with maguires before adding registration numbers and the new name. I know this might not eliminate all of the ghosting but I'm ok with that. I'll let mother nature fix the rest over time. Very pleased to have the hull completely free of decals and adhesive. Thanks for all of the guidance!!

Back